+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 2 LEICESTER CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 2 LEICESTER CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    The mindset at City makes them almost unwatchable. If this was a one off you’d say ok, fair enough we’re trying to contain a good side. But it isn’t, we are just as likely to play in this passive, slow, negative fashion on Monday at struggling QPR.
    As we have done for most games since beating Bristol City. We snatched a win against Millwall, snatched a win at Wednesday, snatched a win at Preston.

Passive, negative and playing backwards is our default setting from the first whistle. Even against teams who are struggling.

Following football though defies logic. Defies common sense. At the same time I was berating Colllins for sprinting back towards his own penalty box and at the same time Ralls was being mugged on the edge of his own box I was online buying my train ticket to London on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    They also put 5 past us at their place. Very good side.
    10-3 on aggregate. Now there's a thought. Aggregate scores in the same season, best and worst. Might have a look tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    As we have done for most games since beating Bristol City. We snatched a win against Millwall, snatched a win at Wednesday, snatched a win at Preston.

Passive, negative and playing backwards is our default setting from the first whistle. Even against teams who are struggling.

Following football though defies logic. Defies common sense. At the same time I was berating Colllins for sprinting back towards his own penalty box and at the same time Ralls was being mugged on the edge of his own box I was online buying my train ticket to London on Monday
    Sludge will be after you!

Bitesize highlights:

The mindset at City makes them almost unwatchable. If this was a one off you’d say ok, fair enough we’re trying to contain a good side. But it isn’t, we are just as likely to play in this passive, slow, negative fashion on Monday at struggling QPR.
    Sums up my thoughts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Sums up my thoughts too.
    Agree as well, I’m almost bored watching us play at the moment

We set up with 2 full backs who are there primarily to defend and not go forward, 2 wide men whose first priority is to track back and protect the full backs, 2 or sometimes 3 defensive midfielders who all have the instinct to play back and not a centre forward worthy of the name , this can make for very dull viewing.

Yet when we are desperate at being behind with time running out and throw people forward we do create chances . We should trust our back 4 and keeper more and take more risks to try and create.

As mentioned in this thread we will use the same defensive mind set against QPR too

I would like to thank Sky for not having the red button activated....

They were so so much sharper than us.

They wasn’t pondering looking for a outlet to pass to, they already knew where the runner was going to be

The passing was cleaner, quicker and way more precise.

The control of the ball was far quicker spending less time on the ball.

They look every bit of a premier league team.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    They were so so much sharper than us.

They wasn’t pondering looking for a outlet to pass to, they already knew where the runner was going to be

The passing was cleaner, quicker and way more precise.

The control of the ball was far quicker spending less time on the ball.

They look every bit of a premier league team.
    Who will probably come straight back down

Re: CARDIFF CITY v LEICESTER CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They’re the best side I’ve ever seen at this level. I get what he was trying to do but insisting on passing it out when they’ve got 4/5 shutting down the angles was mental.
    This. We shouldn't have viewed it as a league game, they are a division better than us. Treat it like an FA cup game against higher league opposition. We were never going to pass through a team that so obviously outmatched us, so why we kept resetting to the center backs and passing out from the back was daft really and that was apparent after about 10 mins.

Leicester were excellent. Dewsbury-hall was in acres of space whenever they had the ball, he was an absolute nightmare. And winks was clinical too. Their pressing was brutal. But they were quality on the ball all over the pitch- if we'd tried to press like that, it could have been 5-0. Which from2-0 down isn't really an issue, but I get why we stood off them from the start.

I’m not sure why some seem content that we lost by a couple. It could have been 4 or 5 as it was with our negative set up. I don’t want to see my team cave in before kick off and I don’t want them to only start playing at 1-0 or 2-0 down out of desperation.

Like others I agree entirely....it's a complete contrast to early season (even allowing for Ramsey out). Bowler is a liability, as is Robinson currently (he must have fallen out with Bulut...). Tanner is having his attacking instincts coached out of him by having to track back. Thought he and Colwill at least injected some urgency when they came on. Etete...he is getting better and starting to put himself about a bit. One or two of the youngsters must at least get bench time instead of the dead wood - at least they would be energetic and eager. Other teams trust 17-19 year olds - why don't we even give them the chance?...I have been around long enough to remember many many in decades gone past.
    Just GO for it on Monday please.....

I'm not sure some people realise that a lot of our players just aren't very good. How many times do people have to see them play before it's obvious? How many different types of formation, playing style etc. We debate the merits of players on here who have made70 appearances plus. The majority of them aren't going to get better and at some point we have seen their best. We need better players, and maybe a better coach, eventually, but he needs a window with some money to show us what he's about.

Leicester are an excellent team this year and will win the league with around 100 points.

We are not neccesarily a bad team, but with have gone completely boring.

I'm digging Collins out in particular, only because we know how good he is, but looks a shadow of that player. I wonder if he's been asked to be more defensive minded?

Cardiff manager Erol Bulut:

"I can't compare us with Leicester. Their quality is different. They were relegated [last season], they want to get promoted immediately and they still have quality from the Premier League.

"Tonight I can say only positive things about my team. We did many positive things in the game, but the details change football.

"One example, they put pressure on us, we lose the ball and they score. Second half we had nearly the same situation when we won the ball, but the final pass wasn't good enough.

"We have to continue to work, but I think we are in a positive way. I said we want to be around the play-offs and we have a lot of games where we can push. Also I hope with a few transfers in January, we can push more."

Leicester manager Enzo Maresca:

"I am very happy for one reason, that in this moment with this amount of game, the effort from the players has been unbelievable.

"To play two games in a row away from home is very difficult, playing every three days.

"I think the club has to be happy. Me as a manager I am very happy and I am very proud. The fans need to be proud of these players - they are and showing the desire to win even in this period.

"To finish the year with more than 60 points. I don't think anybody expected this, me included. Now we need to continue, but for sure we are happy."

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Leicester are an excellent team this year and will win the league with around 100 points.

We are not neccesarily a bad team, but with have gone completely boring.

I'm digging Collins out in particular, only because we know how good he is, but looks a shadow of that player. I wonder if he's been asked to be more defensive minded?
    Thought Collins did well, as did the keeper and back 4. He had two Leicester players in front of him all game..

Probably the biggest crowd of the season and they dish out that load of rubbish. Soon as I see Wintle on the team sheet it's going to be backs against the wall. Can anyone tell me what he brings to the game. Our first corner came in the 40th minute, Ralls got it about 2 feet off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Probably the biggest crowd of the season and they dish out that load of rubbish. Soon as I see Wintle on the team sheet it's going to be backs against the wall. Can anyone tell me what he brings to the game. Our first corner came in the 40th minute, Ralls got it about 2 feet off the ground.
    Wintle is a dependable player in the middle

Does the clearing up well

We need a box to box player to take the pressure off him , siopis and ralls as they are the same sort of unit

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Who will probably come straight back down
    Maybe, they probably were just very unlucky to even come down…..

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Wintle is a dependable player in the middle

Does the clearing up well

We need a box to box player to take the pressure off him , siopis and ralls as they are the same sort of unit

The two sitters are defensive, that is how the manager sets us up (double pivot). Nobody runs beyond the striker anymore every modern manager is scared of "transition" or the counter-attack in our language with the midfeilder out of position.

If we get a player to run around a lot it will be the "10" but with Rambo or Colwill it won't happen either.

Our issue is our attack is meant to come from the wide forwards, but ours are proving they are not playoff material

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Warnock's style, with Manga, Bamba, Peltier, Morisson, Bennett, Gunnarson, Bryson, Grujic, NML, Hoilett, Zahore, Ward. Makes your mouth water doesn't it.
    Grujic was very underrated for us. Very effective player

I do wonder how much that Leicester team cost to put together.

On reflection a disappointment that we were unable to compete with an effective outfit, but family ties means that Leicester who obviously my 2nd team are Premiership bound, I will have to drop Arsenal next year

Daka 24m, Winks 10m, vestergaard 15m, Faes 15m, I got bored looking and mostly reported fees but it’s no surprise they are flying.