+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unwatchable

Unwatchable

My son tells me I'm being unreasonable and have unrealistic expectations but quite frankly I'm finding Bulut's offering pretty unwatchable.

Is January going to see a new dawn, the cavalry ride in and suddenly the sun come out? I don't think so.

Having watched City for over 60 years I know we've had some pretty bad times but right now doesn't feel too good and the like of fight appalling.

Odd team selections, odd substitutions and a very negative game plan.

Whereas Colin came with a track record I remain unconvinced this bloke knows what he's doing?

Prove me wrong.

Recent performances have been very disappointing to say the least.

Re: Unwatchable

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    My son tells me I'm being unreasonable and have unrealistic expectations but quite frankly I'm finding Bulut's offering pretty unwatchable.

Is January going to see a new dawn, the cavalry ride in and suddenly the sun come out? I don't think so.

Having watched City for over 60 years I know we've had some pretty bad times but right now doesn't feel too good and the like of fight appalling.

Odd team selections, odd substitutions and a very negative game plan.

Whereas Colin came with a track record I remain unconvinced this bloke knows what he's doing?

Prove me wrong.

Recent performances have been very disappointing to say the least.
    In your opinion, has the football been better this season than last?

It's been a tough watch since the Bristol City game.

In regards to substitutions, it appears Bulut hasn't learned anything from the Ipswich game in August?

I think what doesn't help is a succession of piss poor managers and footballing style. Bulut is-was a different proposition, maybe a little more pressure to succeed? I'm on the fence so to speak, as i believe that he needs at least 6 players at this level. We've got some pretty poor players out there at the moment, we really have, and because we've witnessed such poor football over the past 4 years or so i think that we we see a grain of creativity we seem to lose our minds. It's because we have been so starved of quality.

I don’t think it’s as bad as last season, but, the Plymouth game apart (we were second best there as well), it’s been terrible value for home supporters especially lately.

I suppose it’s all about expectations, after two appalling seasons struggling and fighting relegation, coming into this season under a transfer embargo was never going to be easy for any manager. I do think the manager/club did a decent job in the window considering the restrictions. We started well, played some good football and I assume expectations raised along with it for a lot of fans.

Bulut isn’t above criticism, don’t agree with all his teams or his subs but also in reality you look at the squad and it isn’t very good, certainly no depth. I think along the way a few have lost confidence and the squad is just to paper thin to swap them out. We certainly need better players in January.

Summery for me, doing a lot better than expected, some football better than expected, some worse, especially recently and then some in between. We need better players.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think what doesn't help is a succession of piss poor managers and footballing style. Bulut is-was a different proposition, maybe a little more pressure to succeed? I'm on the fence so to speak, as i believe that he needs at least 6 players at this level. We've got some pretty poor players out there at the moment, we really have, and because we've witnessed such poor football over the past 4 years or so i think that we we see a grain of creativity we seem to lose our minds. It's because we have been so starved of quality.
    I don't think we're particularly well coached. I think you're right about the quality of players (and the certain type of players we've brought in over the years), but I don't think there's any particular goal we're looking to score or style we're looking to implement. It was a complete contrast even to Plymouth who knew where to pass the ball and to who pretty regularly on Boxing Day. At the moment it looks like a bit of halfway house between wanting to play some kind of possession football playing out from the back an long ball.

I think what we also lack is an attacking instinct throughout the team, even many of our better players (Ng, Siopis in particular) are not comfortable going forward with the ball, we then play with wingers whose first thought it is to track back and all of a sudden there's a lot of pressure on whoever's playing in the 10 role to create practically everything. If you look at most teams now there isn't a sole creator but instead a range of players who are comfortable going forward and chipping in

What we also lack is any kind of penetration from midfield. It's all very safe and sideways which makes it even harder then for the attacking players to get into the game and forces them to pick the ball up in areas that we don't want them getting it in.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I don't think we're particularly well coached. I think you're right about the quality of players (and the certain type of players we've brought in over the years), but I don't think there's any particular goal we're looking to score or style we're looking to implement. It was a complete contrast even to Plymouth who knew where to pass the ball and to who pretty regularly on Boxing Day. At the moment it looks like a bit of halfway house between wanting to play some kind of possession football playing out from the back an long ball.

I think what we also lack is an attacking instinct throughout the team, even many of our better players (Ng, Siopis in particular) are not comfortable going forward with the ball, we then play with wingers whose first thought it is to track back and all of a sudden there's a lot of pressure on whoever's playing in the 10 role to create practically everything. If you look at most teams now there isn't a sole creator but instead a range of players who are comfortable going forward and chipping in

What we also lack is any kind of penetration from midfield. It's all very safe and sideways which makes it even harder then for the attacking players to get into the game and forces them to pick the ball up in areas that we don't want them getting it in.
    I'd agree with all of that, Excellent post where are we going then? Bulut gets this window, although i can't see him being too risky, it'll be established players in my opinion. He's fixated on the play offs, and that's his remit for next season i believe, if Tan doesn't pull the trigger. Does it matter how we get there? To many it wont, but to me, it would a bit, i'd like to see us more comfortable in possession and quicker on the ball.

Bulut is a modern identikit manager. 4231 pass out from the back even though we do not have the players.
    Its so slow and deliberate it doesn't pull many teams apart and the better oppositions set traps for it. I'd let McGuiness have the ball as often I could if i were playing us as he is scared stiff with it and not even our players give it to Collins.

We also then have no outlets. Ralls, Siopis and Wintle are stoppers and can deliver the odd decent pass but it's not their game, we have no pace over the top and L2 at best target men. Inverted wide forwards are so last year and again ours are not very good to come inside and slot one in from 20 yards.

Bulut's history shows he is a decent manager and has his way of playing which is hardly unique, but he either signs up for two more years and we back him and give him the players to play "his way" or we have to part ways.

Currently, it's as bad as watching Hudsons teams, I am of the opinion if you have lower league players play lower league football better than the opposition's lower league players trying to play premier league football.
    IMO Warnock would get more out of this lot especially if Keiffer returns, but thats not the question, its whether

Like Tuerto, I'm a bit on the fence. It appears that the manager has run out of ideas but is that due to his own failings or those of the players at his disposal ? To be honest, I haven't a clue but every indications are that offensively we are being badly coached.

We should have a better insight once he brings in the signings he believes will transform the team he by and large inherited from previous managers.

It all depends...
    Compared to last season we are better, compared to Slade or Trollope we are 100 times better.
    We were better to watch when Dave Jones was here with Chops, Bothroyd, McCormack, Whitts etc
    We were successful and ok to watch under Malky and Warnock.

When Ramsey and O'Dowda are back we will be more easier on the eye. What we need is more creativity in the box.

Which is where hopefully some new signings will come into play

The reason why we havnt got money is because we overspend for a club of our size and time and time again it gets us into trouble

Unless we get some kind of huge cash injection we are going to have to live within our means

We have to accept that bulut is going to make mistakes as are his players because if he and his players were Premier league standard that's where he would be managing and they would be playing

It would be lovely to mould a team like Brentford or Luton but that doesn't happen that often

Man United with all their wealth got done again today which was great to see but if they pay huge wages for top managers and top players and screw up the question for me is what on earth do fans of Cardiff City and other clubs expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    It all depends...
    Compared to last season we are better, compared to Slade or Trollope we are 100 times better.
    We were better to watch when Dave Jones was here with Chops, Bothroyd, McCormack, Whitts etc
    We were successful and ok to watch under Malky and Warnock.

When Ramsey and O'Dowda are back we will be more easier on the eye. What we need is more creativity in the box.

Which is where hopefully some new signings will come into play
    The thing is, he deliberately set up last night without creative players. Like someone else said, I'm just surprised he didn't blame Colwill for the loss. Almost everytime Colwill plays he makes things happen. And within 5 minutes of coming on last night he had robbed the ball off 2 opponents. The defensive side of the game may not be his forte but he is trying and he's getting better. Offensively, he is the best we've got.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The reason why we havnt got money is because we overspend for a club of our size and time and time again it gets us into trouble

Unless we get some kind of huge cash injection we are going to have to live within our means

We have to accept that bulut is going to make mistakes as are his players because if he and his players were Premier league standard that's where he would be managing and they would be playing

It would be lovely to mould a team like Brentford or Luton but that doesn't happen that often

Man United with all their wealth got done again today which was great to see but if they pay huge wages for top managers and top players and screw up the question for me is what on earth do fans of Cardiff City and other clubs expect ?
    I don't agree at all that we overspend, on the contrary we don't spend enough and not on the requisite calibre of player.

We are where we are purely down to managerial mistakes and the responsibility for that lies with the board and one person in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    The thing is, he deliberately set up last night without creative players. Like someone else said, I'm just surprised he didn't blame Colwill for the loss. Almost everytime Colwill plays he makes things happen. And within 5 minutes of coming on last night he had robbed the ball off 2 opponents. The defensive side of the game may not be his forte but he is trying and he's getting better. Offensively, he is the best we've got.
    I don't wish injury on anyone but if Grant is out for a while it might be a blessing if we have a fully functioning O'Dowda back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I don't agree at all that we overspend, on the contrary we don't spend enough and not on the requisite calibre of player.

We are where we are purely down to managerial mistakes and the responsibility for that lies with the board and one person in particular.
    What about the idiotic wages spent in the sam and Ridsdale years ?

I saw the game and they must be pretty unwatchable as far as their fans are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I saw the game and they must be pretty unwatchable as far as their fans are concerned.
    Well when you listen to someone from Mansfield on radio 5 moaning about his United ones sympathy goes out the window

What about the idiotic wages spent in the sam and Ridsdale years ?
    That was over a decade ago, we've been in the Premier League twice since then and have failed miserably to use the millions of pounds we've received from those 2 promotions effectively

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That was over a decade ago, we've been in the Premier League twice since then.
    Of course but we as a club have a long history of spaffing money away

Financial mismanagement didn't begin under tan and managers like malky and warnock

I think it's in our water pipes

Im not sure football at this level has to be " watchable " its a results based thing now, a few points of the play-off's and the chance to be back at the top table

its a shame really, I know people will say but you can get results and play exciting / attractive football, yes you can, but the its the result that will matter for a new manager, otherwise, he is gone

but even as you drop down the leagues its the same story, promotion is the only important thing

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Im not sure football at this level has to be " watchable " its a results based thing now, a few points of the play-off's and the chance to be back at the top table

its a shame really, I know people will say but you can get results and play exciting / attractive football, yes you can, but the its the result that will matter for a new manager, otherwise, he is gone

but even as you drop down the leagues its the same story, promotion is the only important thing

Similar story at the very top too.

For Real Madrid, winning la Liga is not enough, it has to be the champions league.

Even when you win trophies time and time again, it becomes how you win them.

Supporters in general are never happy.

In our case as supporters we aren't happy with what we are seeing but some realism is called for.
    We have not got the quality or depth of players to beat the top boys playing the type of football we all want to see so sometimes you have to suck it up.

We've had a decent first half a season so I'm not too despondent.

For Real Madrid, winning la Liga is not enough, it has to be the champions league.

In our case as supporters we aren't happy what we are seeing but some realism is called for.
    We have not got the quality or depth of players to beat the top boys playing the type of football we all want to see so sometimes you have to suck it up.

At the very least bulut needs to be given the chance to shape his own team . That means new faces in the transfer January and the rest of this season and next to see where things are

That's two years

Calling for change at the top now is ridiculous

In our case as supporters we aren't happy with what we are seeing but some realism is called for.

Yes, I agree with some of that.

However, I feel we've been bereft of much footballing entertainment for years. I'm just interested in watching a City team have a go, not be so defensive. I don't mind the passing in defence, it's better than whacking the ball aimlessly forward. I'd happily sacrifice the rest of the season to playing a more positive game, even if it costs us results. It's when we are very defensive and we still lose against crap sides that I wonder why they play like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, I agree with some of that.

However, I feel we've been bereft of much footballing entertainment for years. I'm just interested in watching a City team have a go, not be so defensive. I don't mind the passing in defence, it's better than whacking the ball aimlessly forward. I'd happily sacrifice the rest of the season to playing a more positive game, even if it costs us results. It's when we are very defensive and we still lose against crap sides that I wonder why they play like that.
    Even "crap sides" win games.
    You have to play to your strengths with the players you've got to win a particular game.
    You have to build a style of play also, something which I think Bulut has tried to do but our limitations have been laid to bare.

Even "crap sides" win games.
    You have to play to your strengths with the players you've got to win a particular game.
    You have to build a style of play also, something which I think Bulut has tried to do but our limitations have been laid to bare.
    I think Bulut has tried to instill a more patient passing game, but he's destroying our attacking game by making those players do more off the ball, be more defensive. The result is that we're still conceding goals but can't create much in attack. I don't think that's because we're a more passing team, but because we're too deep as a side for defensive reasons.