+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Etete today

Etete today

My goodness, he was terrible.

I’m still waiting for him to come good but he was dreadful today. I stopped counting the number of times he conceded possession at 10 and that was about 30 minutes into the match.

He was completely bullied by the QPR centre backs and at best won a couple of free kicks.

Whereas QPR were poor at least their centre forward gave Goutas and McGuinness something of a rough time in the second half.

So frustrating to watch.

Re: Etete today

I said in the match thread that he needs to take a ‘nastiness’ course. He’s a centre back’s dream opponent, he needs a fortnight’s tutoring with someone like Heider Helgusson, teaching him the art of being an aggressive striker. Centre forwards need to be bullies, unfortunately, he’s the one who’s consistently being bullied.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I said in the match thread that he needs to take a ‘nastiness’ course. He’s a centre back’s dream opponent, he needs a fortnight’s tutoring with someone like Heider Helgusson, teaching him the art of being an aggressive striker. Centre forwards need to be bullies, unfortunately, he’s the one who’s consistently being bullied.
    Yep I agree with that.

Very frustrating to watch.

he's still learning his trade, think of someone like jay bothroyd, he was a totally different player with us than he had been early on in his career

Sorry he's not up to it. Once though he could move up but nah .. QPR are rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he's still learning his trade, think of someone like jay bothroyd, he was a totally different player with us than he had been early on in his career
    He's 22. Must be a slow learner..

Unfortunately for him though is that football is all about ‘now’. Yes, Bothroyd performed better for us than his previous clubs and that’s why they got rid of him, as we would have if he hadn’t have shaped up. How long are we prepared to be patient with him? He’s getting mastered by centre backs every match, pushed about, bullied and contributing little. As I say, football is about ‘now’, we can’t afford to have our 22 year old main striker learning his trade with us having the attitude that in about 20 games time he’ll come good, if anything he’s gone backwards. Let’s hope the striker issue is addressed sooner rather than later this month because Etete, big lump that he is, is so frustrating, meek & mild.

He needs to be a lot more aggressive, he’s currently to easy to defend against.

Unfortunately for him though is that football is all about ‘now’. Yes, Bothroyd performed better for us than his previous clubs and that’s why they got rid of him, as we would have if he hadn’t have shaped up. How long are we prepared to be patient with him? He’s getting mastered by centre backs every match, pushed about, bullied and contributing little. As I say, football is about ‘now’, we can’t afford to have our 22 year old main striker learning his trade with us having the attitude that in about 20 games time he’ll come good, if anything he’s gone backwards. Let’s hope the striker issue is addressed sooner rather than later this month because Etete, big lump that he is, is so frustrating, meek & mild.
    I’ve said in another thread a few days ago that he needs to be the third choice striker
    We really do need two more in before him in the pecking order, I still think there is a player in there though

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I’ve said in another thread a few days ago that he needs to be the third choice striker
    We really do need two more in before him in the pecking order, I still think there is a player in there though
    Maybe there is or maybe there’s not Ian. Ideally he needs taking out of the firing line and given some intense coaching from the ‘How to be a brute’ striker manual. Or is 22 too late? Perhaps he’s just not tough enough for this standard and, maybe, that toughness can’t be taught if it’s not a natural trait.

Maybe there is or maybe there’s not Ian. Ideally he needs taking out of the firing line and given some intense coaching from the ‘How to be a brute’ striker manual. Or is 22 too late? Perhaps he’s just not tough enough for this standard and, maybe, that toughness can’t be taught if it’s not a natural trait.
    Yeah I really have my doubts.

Yes...22 is getting on now to still be learning....I can think of another who will be 22 in April that the same could be said of....but I could not possibly mentions any names for being accused of criticism.....

His energy conservation is first class.

Grant Holte, Ricky Lambert, Keiffer Moore all had to drop leagues to turn into the finished article Targetman. It's a position that ages like a fine wine. KE is nowhere near a championship player at the current time.

Other players like Andy Carroll & John Hartson had shown a lot more already at Kions age

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Grant Holte, Ricky Lambert, Keiffer Moore all had to drop leagues to turn into the finished article Targetman. It's a position that ages like a fine wine. KE is nowhere near a championship player at the current time.

Other players like Andy Carroll & John Hartson had shown a lot more already at Kions age
    yes different players improve at different rates - any young player coming through is going to have some batter games than others, it doesn't mean when they have a bad game that they aren't ever going to make it, it depends whether they can rise to the challenge.
    If we write off any players who are the slightest bit inconsistent when they're trying to break into the team then we will never bring any players through.
    He has 2000 minutes at championship level and a litttle more at lower league level, of course he's still developing.

yes different players improve at different rates - any young player coming through is going to have some batter games than others, it doesn't mean when they have a bad game that they aren't ever going to make it, it depends whether they can rise to the challenge.
    If we write off any players who are the slightest bit inconsistent when they're trying to break into the team then we will never bring any players through.
    He has 2000 minutes at championship level and a litttle more at lower league level, of course he's still developing.
    Yes Etete has been consistent. Consistently poor bar the odd flash of potential.

I can’t see how any manager can consistently pick him from what I have seen so far, and especially after performances like today.

I think part of the reason is a complete lack of alternatives (e.g. Ugbo and Meite who at least put themselves about, which in itself is sad when that is the best that you can say about them)

Etete is never going to be a bulldozing centre forward

Hartson was and he was good

Like Moore he had the physical presence but could play a bit too

If Etete and others have a future here they will be playing off these type of big units

For a fairly big guy Etete has some good touches and these need to be used positively as trying to improve the physical side of his game pointless

The sound of knees jerking in this thread is deafening. There have been some like Splott Parker who have voiced there reservations about Etete in the past, but this thread doesn’t half seem like a reaction to one bad game on his part. He was not very good today and he’s inconsistent, but, for me, he’s the best we have in the position currently and, on his good days, he shows he has it in him to be a good striker at this level.

Because he’s so tall, I think Etete gets categorised as a certain type of striker, but I’m not sure he’ll ever be a traditional target man type . I’d say one of his main strengths is his quick feet and it may be that he’d be more effective in a side that got the ball down and played a bit more than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The sound of knees jerking in this thread is deafening. There have been some like Splott Parker who have voiced there reservations about Etete in the past, but this thread doesn’t half seem like a reaction to one bad game on his part. He was not very good today and he’s inconsistent, but, for me, he’s the best we have in the position currently and, on his good days, he shows he has it in him to be a good striker at this level.

Because he’s so tall, I think Etete gets categorised as a certain type of striker, but I’m not sure he’ll ever be a traditional target man type . I’d say one of his main strengths is his quick feet and it may be that he’d be more effective in a side that got the ball down and played a bit more than we do.
    If we do sign a big centre forward prepared to put his neck on the block then etete , Robinson etc will look far more effective players

I wonder if it doesn't help any of our forwards that they're forever being chopped and changed. None of them have really had a run of games together to forge partnerships and understanding.

I disagree.

Etete’s performance today just prompted me to say what I have been thinking for a while.

If anything this thread is starting to sound like lots of threads about another former striker of ours: Bobby G.

He's made around 80 first team appearances at professional level, albeit a fair few as a sub, I mean c'mon, what are people waiting for, what do they think is going to happen? If it doe happen then it'll have to be an astonishing transformation in terms of strength, touch, movement, pace etc. I'd love too work for some of you lot, I'd just turn up for the first year or so and be pretty crap at my job, pick up the money, while you let me off the hook in terms of development. Cheers boys...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He's made around 80 first team appearances at professional level, albeit a fair few as a sub, I mean c'mon, what are people waiting for, what do they think is going to happen? If it doe happen then it'll have to be an astonishing transformation in terms of strength, touch, movement, pace etc. I'd love too work for some of you lot, I'd just turn up for the first year or so and be pretty crap at my job, pick up the money, while you let me off the hook in terms of development. Cheers boys...
    Grant Holt made 378 appearances in the bottom divisions before scoring 23 in his first ever full season at Championship level.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How many twenty two year olds or lower are first choice centre forwards at Championship clubs? I don’t know the answer, but I bet it’s not many. Off the top of my head, there’s Cadamartari at Sheffield Wednesday who looked a very good prospect against us, but, going down the table at the moment, I can’t see any other club with a youngster as their established number one striker. Twenty two is young for a striker in this league especially at a club that, historically, is reluctant to give youth a chance.

Loads of us bang about our lack of creativity as well - we’ve only had one striker who has scored at a good rate in the last ten years or so.

How many twenty two year olds or lower are first choice centre forwards at Championship clubs? I don’t know the answer, but I bet it’s not many. Off the top of my head, there’s Cadamartari at Sheffield Wednesday who looked a very good prospect against us, but, going down the table at the moment, I can’t see any other club with a youngster as their established number one striker. Twenty two is young for a striker in this league especially at a club that, historically, is reluctant to give youth a chance.

Loads of us bang about our lack of creativity as well - we’ve only had one striker who has scored at a good rate in the last ten years or so.
    I don't know what his age has to do with it. He's been given an opportunity, he needs to take it, because unlike plenty on here, Buiut or whoever else is in charge wont see it from the point of view that he's 22 and still learning, he'll be out. I actually think he has some ability, his feet are pretty good, he can turn a player and carry the ball 10 15 yards, and he is much better facing the opposition goal. He can't play with his back to goal, he can't hold the ball up, he doesn't shield it or lean into the defender, that's a problem in this team. I hope he does well like i hope all of them do well, but i just don't see any improvement, which is what we should look for as a minimum. We had the same problem with Mark Harris, about 100 games in and people were debating the merits of his potential at this level.