+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Etete today

Re: Etete today

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The best thing that can be said about Etete is that his name is a palindrome. We haven't had many of those over the years.
    ojo

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    How many target men do you see taking penalties?

We had Ralls and Whittingham for the last 15 years.

05/06 Darren Purse was our designated taker
    Rickie Lambert was a target man and one of the best penalty takers in English football.

Alan Shearer and Teddy Sheringham two others who spring to mind.

Harry Kane anyone? Lewandowski too. You’ve had a mare here

How many target men do you see taking penalties?

We had Ralls and Whittingham for the last 15 years.

05/06 Darren Purse was our designated taker
    Target man? Do you know what a target man is?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Rickie Lambert was a target man and one of the best penalty takers in English football.

Not all strikers make good penalty takers.

1993. Romania. Bodin.

We had a front four of Rush, Saunders, Hughes and Giggs. None of them were regular penalty takers at the time. Saunders became a penalty taker for Villa. Our most experienced and best penalty taker at the time was Bodin.

I don't think it matters that much where you play. Didn't Paraguay have a keeper who scored loads of penalties for them at international level?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

1993. Romania. Bodin.

We had a front four of Rush, Saunders, Hughes and Giggs. None of them were regular penalty takers at the time. Saunders became a penalty taker for Villa. Our most experienced and best penalty taker at the time was Bodin.

I don't think it matters that much where you play. Didn't Paraguay have a keeper who scored loads of penalties for them at international level?
    1993 Bodin that worked out well didn’t it

1993 Bodin that worked out well didn’t it
    Aye, but he'd scored lots that season, including the game before. He leathered it. I doubt there have been many harder hit penalties than that. The distance it travelled after it hit the bar was incredible. He didn't miss it because he wasn't a forward.

1993. Romania. Bodin.

I'm not suggesting that other players can't be good penalty takers. I'm saying a centre forward should be able to score a penalty and certainly shouldn't be afraid of taking one. It's kicking the ball into the goal. From 12 yards. They do it from all over the place with people in front of them and people trying to take the ball from them.

Aye, but he'd scored lots that season, including the game before. He leathered it. I doubt there have been many harder hit penalties than that. The distance it travelled after it hit the bar was incredible. He didn't miss it because he wasn't a forward.
    He missed it because he couldn’t handle the pressure and wasn’t a big game player. Changes his usual penalty taking style in the biggest moment of his life.

Dean Saunders took many penalties and has a 90% success rate.

Any forward worth his salts should demand to be on penalties. You won’t see the likes of Kane, Ronaldo or Lewandowski passing the buck to a team mate.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm not suggesting that other players can't be good penalty takers. I'm saying a centre forward should be able to score a penalty and certainly shouldn't be afraid of taking one. It's kicking the ball into the goal. From 12 yards. They do it from all over the place with people in front of them and people trying to take the ball from them.
    That's an interesting take. I've thought penalties were more about technique and bottle. Some strikers are great finishers of chances provided to them, getting on the end of crosses, using movement to create a tap in. Striking a dead ball from 12 yards is very different in some ways. How many strikers are good at scoring long range goals? Probably not that many, but some are capable of brilliant moments of skill to score goals.

That's an interesting take. I've thought penalties were more about technique and bottle. Some strikers are great finishers of chances provided to them, getting on the end of crosses, using movement to create a tap in. Striking a dead ball from 12 yards is very different in some ways. How many strikers are good at scoring long range goals? Probably not that many, but some are capable of brilliant moments of skill to score goals.
    Since when was 12 yards long range?

He missed it because he couldn’t handle the pressure and wasn’t a big game player.
    It was his usual style, though. Laces through the ball. I have no doubt that he gave it absolutely everything because it meant so much.

Should we nominate Callum Robinson as penalty taker?

Since when was 12 yards long range?
    How many strikers take free kicks from distance? Same sort of principle, striking a non-moving ball. The strikers you mention could also hit a free kick.

How many strikers take free kicks from distance? Same sort of principle, striking a non-moving ball. The strikers you mention could also hit a free kick.
    Not the same principal at all most free kicks are twice the distance of a penalty

It was his usual style, though. Laces through the ball. I have no doubt that he gave it absolutely everything because it meant so much.

Should we nominate Callum Robinson as penalty taker?
    I don’t think we will be seeing much of Robinson moving forward so probably best not to

Out of context. I’m not saying they can’t be any good. Haaland is as good as anyone on the spot too.

But just because a person is a striker doesn’t mean them best placed or naturally better than some others.

Out of context. I’m not saying they can’t be any good. Haaland is as good as anyone on the spot too.

But just because a person is a striker doesn’t mean them best placed or naturally better than some others.
    You implied that target men don’t take penalties when loads do / have done

Grant Holt, Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes there’s another 3 who have scored over 80 penalties between them.

Not the same principal at all most free kicks are twice the distance of a penalty
    But lots of forwards don't like taking them. Some do. I understand your thinking that they should relish them as that's their job, but it's not as simple as that.

But lots of forwards don't like taking them. Some do. I understand you’re thinking that they should relish them as that's their job, but it's not as simple as that.
    If you haven’t got confidence to take a free shot from 12 yards, just you versus the goalkeeper, then you shouldn’t be playing as a forward. That’s why the best forwards are usually on penalties.

Look at Salah earlier this week missed one v Newcastle then shrugs it off and scores another one later in the game. Not a chance anyone else was taking it even though I have no doubt the likes of TAA and others have the technical ability to take them. All good forwards need to have that single minded confidence.

You implied that target men don’t take penalties when loads do / have done

Grant Holt, Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes there’s another 3 who have scored over 80 penalties between them.
    I can name loads of penalty takers that aren’t the number 9 either. My point being is just because he’s a forward doesn’t make him good and pens. And just because someones not a forward doesn’t make them worse than the Grant Holts of this world.

Should Sergio Ramos never have taken penalties?

You could argue in an empty room.

I can name loads of penalty takers that aren’t the number 9 either. My point being is just because he’s a forward doesn’t make him good and pens. And just because someones not a forward doesn’t make them worse than the Grant Holts of this world.

Should Sergio Ramos never have taken penalties?

You could argue in an empty room.
    No one is saying non forwards can’t take penalties you’re just moving the goalposts.

You made a ridiculous point in the first place just take the mare on the chin.

Etete scored 4 out of 4 pens whilst playing as a for Spurs in the PL2 league so it’s sad that he doesn’t have the confidence to put himself forward for one of the penalties yesterday, especially when he really needs a goal and has gone over 3 months without one.

If you haven’t got confidence to take a free shot from 12 yards, just you versus the goalkeeper, then you shouldn’t be playing as a forward. That’s why the best forwards are usually on penalties.

Look at Salah earlier this week missed one v Newcastle then shrugs it off and scores another one later in the game. Not a chance anyone else was taking it even though I have no doubt the likes of TAA and others have the technical ability to take them. All good forwards need to have that single minded confidence.
    Now that's an interesting take. Lots dont.

Who’s to say he doesn’t have the confidence, aren’t these things usually decided before a game.

Etete scored 4 out of 4 pens whilst playing as a for Spurs in the PL2 league so it’s sad that he doesn’t have the confidence to put himself forward for one of the penalties yesterday, especially when he really needs a goal and has gone over 3 months without one.
    I didn't realise that. A goal, even from a penalty, could be a big confidence booster. It's why, I think, Jones gave Whitts penalty duties in 2009 instead of McCormack.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Who’s to say he doesn’t have the confidence, aren’t these things usually decided before a game.
    If they are decided before the game how come we had two different penalty takers? You really think with a cobbled together rotated side two different penalty takers were chosen before the game ? Lol

If the nominated penalty taker didn’t fancy the second pen I’d expect a forward who hasn’t scored for 3 months to be demanding to take it