+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: FT: SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 4 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 4 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Checked the Wednesday fan's forum and they agree with the general consensus on here that on the day City were the better side. One of there fans said that it should have been "5-7 to Cardiff". Another thought it was telling that they won 4-0 yet their goalkeeper was MoM.

Re: SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

The consensus is midfield is our problem area, but even our kids who came on looked better than theirs.

A nonfunctioning attack and lack of depth in defence are the areas of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    The consensus is midfield is our problem area, but even our kids who came on looked better than theirs.

A nonfunctioning attack and lack of depth in defence are the areas of concern.
    I've never seen our younger age groups live but, reading from some posters on here who watch them, they've been more comfortable on the ball than anyone from our first team. A few years ago there was some concern that players coming into our first team were being asked to do completely different things, there was no continuity. Compare that with Swansea, for example, where a style of play was rubber-stamped at each age group, so players make a much more seamless step up.

This is not meant as a criticism of any styles, but I think it's safe to say that, for several years, we've opted for graft in midfield rather than skill. No disrespect to Joe Ralls, but when he is still the answer when he's unlikely to interest any of the better sides in the Championship, that says lots about our midfield. Yes, you need someone in there to do the donkey work but then also need someone who can pass, run with the ball, have a few skills, who can change things.

I hope Bulut looks at the game and considers bringing some more youngsters into the first team for experience. We're not going up, this season was all about building and I've always been one for giving the youngsters a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've never seen our younger age groups live but, reading from some posters on here who watch them, they've been more comfortable on the ball than anyone from our first team. A few years ago there was some concern that players coming into our first team were being asked to do completely different things, there was no continuity. Compare that with Swansea, for example, where a style of play was rubber-stamped at each age group, so players make a much more seamless step up.

This is not meant as a criticism of any styles, but I think it's safe to say that, for several years, we've opted for graft in midfield rather than skill. No disrespect to Joe Ralls, but when he is still the answer when he's unlikely to interest any of the better sides in the Championship, that says lots about our midfield. Yes, you need someone in there to do the donkey work but then also need someone who can pass, run with the ball, have a few skills, who can change things.

I hope Bulut looks at the game and considers bringing some more youngsters into the first team for experience. We're not going up, this season was all about building and I've always been one for giving the youngsters a go.
    Eli King is probably further along his journey than the two yesterday, same path for me, just get them out playing mens football until the end of the season, so national league, then a L2 or L1 if they progress as hoped next season.

I should caveat that we may have had illness in the camp which hampered team selection but having watched MOTD and seen many sides play full strength teams the lack of respect for cup competitions and our fans (who doesn't like a cup run) amongst successive city managers is really annoying. I loved our trips to Wembley in both cup competitions although I acknowledge a repeat of either needs a lot of luck, so why are so many of our managers, but not other team managers, so against cup games?

It's about time this club took cup ties seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post

It's about time this club took cup ties seriously.
    I think we did take it serious and was just one of those games

I'd be interested in seeing the same formation but with a full strength side in

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I haven't checked on this thread to see if it's already been mentioned but a few years ago we beat QPR at home 3-0 and by all accounts they were far and away the better side on the night. It left those that went to the game scratching their heads in disbelief, so these things can happen in football.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Unless there were a lot of absentees through illness, that wasn’t a back four of a team taking the competition seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing the same formation but with a full strength side in
    Grant and Meite at wing back or Ng and Collins?