+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luke Littler for Sports personality of the year?

Re: Luke Littler for Sports personality of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    There should be even more tonight with all this build-up, I can see sponsorship deals with Tizer, Dominoes, and German Doner Kebabs no matter what the result is!
    The ribena and Haribo stall has been selling well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The ribena and Haribo stall has been selling well.
    The Gillette & Wilkinsons Sword stall hasn’t.

Littler for the Premier League, regardless of whether he wins or not tonight?

Pressure's on Littler

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    I see two key issues:

1) Darts isn't really a proper sport.
    2) he doesn't have a whole lot of personality on show. That is probably because he is so young and not had any media training yet though.
    What is your definition of sport?

Most, but not all sports, rely upon the ability to be 'fit' in terms of strength, stamina etc ... archery, some forms of fishing, curling, bowls, snooker, billiards, chess, recreational golf etc

Darts requires hand-eye co-ordination, mental strength, the ability for the brain to do swift mathematical calculations and at the highest level to perform under intense pressure of a noisy crowd.

I don't think 'personality' has to be part of an argument whether Darts is a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post

Most, but not all sports, rely upon the ability to be 'fit' in terms of strength, stamina etc ... archery, some forms of fishing, curling, bowls, snooker, billiards, chess, recreational golf etc

Darts requires hand-eye co-ordination, mental strength, the ability for the brain to do swift mathematical calculations and at the highest level to perform under intense pressure of a noisy crowd.

I don't think 'personality' has to be part of an argument whether Darts is a sport.
    Come on ff sake

Of those you have listed darts , snooker and fishing are clearly not in need of any real sort of stamina and strength

Curling , bowls , golf all require an element of fitness , golf particularly so .....professional golfers are on the whole athletic athletes.....just by looking at most of these guys you can tell they are in good physical shape ?

Darts and snooker are former pub sports and in the seventies and eighties some players in both sports would walk up to the snooker table or darts board smoking and drinking

Of course there are exceptions but so many snooker and darts players of old were overweight and unhealthy , smoking and drinking

Jocky Wilson , Leighton Rees , Bill Werbineck , Alex Higgins ......all in poor condition and smoking and drinking not in their private time ......but whilst they were performing

That to me suggests if darts and snooker are sports then physical condition isn't in any way necessary

It's a shame that young lad didn't win but at 16 to be carrying that weight and be in that sort of physical condition ......and be in a world final of a sport ?

I think it's fair enough to question the definition of darts as a sport in this instance

The joy it gives to people who watch and the tension and entertainment in the crowd etc is not in question

Same with snooker, it doesn't interest me , I would rather go fishing which again in general doesn't depend on stamina , strength , aerobic capacity etc

You can catch loads of fish and win biggest fish competitions and still spend 4 nights a week down the pub

It can be skilful but it's not a sport wether you enjoy it or not

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Come on ff sake

Of those you have listed darts , snooker and fishing are clearly not in need of any real sort of stamina and strength

Curling , bowls , golf all require an element of fitness , golf particularly so .....professional golfers are on the whole athletic athletes.....just by looking at most of these guys you can tell they are in good physical shape ?

Darts and snooker are former pub sports and in the seventies and eighties some players in both sports would walk up to the snooker table or darts board smoking and drinking

Of course there are exceptions but so many snooker and darts players of old were overweight and unhealthy , smoking and drinking

Jocky Wilson , Leighton Rees , Bill Werbineck , Alex Higgins ......all in poor condition and smoking and drinking not in their private time ......but whilst they were performing

That to me suggests if darts and snooker are sports then physical condition isn't in any way necessary

It's a shame that young lad didn't win but at 16 to be carrying that weight and be in that sort of physical condition ......and be in a world final of a sport ?

I think it's fair enough to question the definition of darts as a sport in this instance

The joy it gives to people who watch and the tension and entertainment in the crowd etc is not in question

Same with snooker, it doesn't interest me , I would rather go fishing which again in general doesn't depend on stamina , strength , aerobic capacity etc

You can catch loads of fish and win biggest fish competitions and still spend 4 nights a week down the pub

Apologies ... my initial response was not implying that archery, some forms of fishing, curling, bowls, snooker, billiards, chess, recreational golf rely upon the ability to be 'fit' in terms of strength, stamina etc

I agree that back in the day smoking and drinking were common among darts & snooker and to a lesser degree golf players.

The lad who won the darts tonight appeared to be someone in finer 'shape' than his opponent. Note that beer has been substituted with copious amounts of bottled water and smoking is not allowed - unless they go outside for a fag during the breaks.

Apologies ... my initial response was not implying that archery, some forms of fishing, curling, bowls, snooker, billiards, chess, recreational golf rely upon the ability to be 'fit' in terms of strength, stamina etc

I agree that back in the day smoking and drinking were common among darts & snooker and to a lesser degree golf players.

The lad who won the darts tonight appeared to be someone in finer 'shape' than his opponent. Note that beer has been substituted with copious amounts of bottled water and smoking is not allowed - unless they go outside for a fag during the breaks.
    No need for any apology I mostly agree

And of course wether it's the rules or sponsorship or the law ...eg no smoking ....the average darts player is in better physical shape than they were 20 years ago

International

Come on ff sake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darts

You don't define what is a sport or not.

It's a target SPORT -

Target sports
    Sports where the main objective is to hit a certain target.

Archery
    Axe throwing
    Bocce
    Bocce volo
    Boccia
    Bolas criollas
    Boules
    Bowling
    Candlepin bowling
    Duckpin bowling
    Five-pin bowling
    Nine-pin bowling
    Ten-pin bowling
    Trick bowling
    Turkey bowling
    Bowls a.k.a. lawn bowls
    Calva
    Cornhole
    Croquet
    Curling
    Darts
    Horseshoes (horseshoe throwing)
    Jeu provençal (boule lyonnaise)
    Jukskei
    KanJam
    Knife throwing
    Kubb
    Lawn darts
    Matball
    Mölkky
    Pall mall
    Pétanque
    Pitch and putt
    Ring-goal
    Shooting
    Shuffleboard
    Skittles
    Skee ball
    Tejo
    Trugo
    Varpa
    Woodball

It's a target SPORT -

Target sports

Archery
    Axe throwing
    Bocce
    Bocce volo
    Boccia
    Bolas criollas
    Boules
    Bowling
    Candlepin bowling
    Duckpin bowling
    Five-pin bowling
    Nine-pin bowling
    Ten-pin bowling
    Trick bowling
    Turkey bowling
    Bowls a.k.a. lawn bowls
    Calva
    Cornhole
    Croquet
    Curling
    Darts
    Jukskei
    KanJam
    Knife throwing
    Kubb
    Lawn darts
    Matball
    Mölkky
    Pall mall
    Pétanque
    Pitch and putt
    Ring-goal
    Shooting
    Shuffleboard
    Skittles
    Skee ball
    Tejo
    Trugo
    Varpa
    Woodball

What about toy throwing from pram?

ccmb must have a few contenders for that world title over the years

Funny init, I know Luke Littler was runner up, but the fella that won it was Luke who ???????

I don't think 'personality' has to be part of an argument whether Darts is a sport
    It doesnt, but the questionable nature on if darts is a sport coupled with the fact that the kid hasnt shown much personality yet would imho suggests that LL wouldnt win sports personality of the year which was the question posed.

It's all subjective right? Out of interest does poker count as a sport for you? that also requires, mental strength, the brain to do swift mathematical calculations and sometimes under the pressure of a crowd.

A lot more difficult strength wise than darts

You don't see many fat babies

It doesnt, but the questionable nature on if darts is a sport coupled with the fact that the kid hasnt shown much personality yet would imho suggests that LL wouldnt win sports personality of the year which was the question posed.

It's all subjective right? Out of interest does poker count as a sport for you? that also requires, mental strength, the brain to do swift mathematical calculations and sometimes under the pressure of a crowd.
    Yes , poker is clearly a sport in the potty world on here

They are fine tuned athletes

On a diet of vodka and fags

It's a target SPORT -

Target sports

Archery
    Axe throwing
    Bocce
    Bocce volo
    Boccia
    Bolas criollas
    Boules
    Bowling
    Candlepin bowling
    Duckpin bowling
    Five-pin bowling
    Nine-pin bowling
    Ten-pin bowling
    Trick bowling
    Turkey bowling
    Bowls a.k.a. lawn bowls
    Calva
    Cornhole
    Croquet
    Curling
    Darts
    Jukskei
    KanJam
    Knife throwing
    Kubb
    Lawn darts
    Matball
    Mölkky
    Pall mall
    Pétanque
    Pitch and putt
    Ring-goal
    Shooting
    Shuffleboard
    Skittles
    Skee ball
    Tejo
    Trugo
    Varpa
    Woodball

Breakdancing ff sake

Mind you they need an element of fitness

Is knitting in that list ?

International

Breakdancing ff sake

Mind you they need an element of fitness

Is knitting in that list ?
    No nor is banking, so hand your gold medal back

No nor is banking, so hand your gold medal back
    It's a pastime and something I am very good at

But it's not a sport

International

You have to be mentally strong to play top-level professional darts, it's like a penalty shoot-out every game or pressure golf putts every time.

it will be interesting to see how both Lukes do over the next few years?

there's something about these young players who break through across many sports who just show no fear at all, and seem to take it all in their stride .

is that because they're young and their youthful exuberance hasn't yet been diminished by the weight of experience, or is it perhaps that they are just innately like that, and tje people who don't have that we jist don't get to see.

Of course your opinion whether darts is a sport is subjective. I just wanted to add a counter argument.

Don't know much about Poker as a sport / competition. I assume there need to be tournaments involved to qualify it as a type of sport. Is computer gaming classified as a sport?

Going back to 'darts', I base my opinion on the fact that it is a competition between two (or four in doubles) players in a tournament, with ultimate winners & onlooking spectators.

Sport can be classified into two or perhaps even more categories ... those requiring a particular level of physical fitness and those that do not.