+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welsh Labour leader hopeful Jeremy Miles' 20mph review pledge

International

Welsh Labour leader hopeful Jeremy Miles' 20mph review pledge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67864928

One of the candidates to be the next Welsh Labour leader says he will start a review of the 20mph speed limit in his first week in office, if elected.

Education Minister Jeremy Miles put forward five pledges for immediate action if he is chosen to succeed Mark Drakeford as first minister in March.

Last week his opponent, Economy Minister Vaughan Gething, said he would also favour a review of the policy.

The Welsh government had previously said the impact would be looked at.

That followed a Plaid Cymru amendment in the Senedd calling for the impact of the change to be "continuously reviewed" passed with the backing of Labour ministers and backbenchers.

Along with the pledge on the speed limit, Mr Miles also promised that at least half the members of his government would be women and that he would set up a new delivery unit in the Welsh government.

Majority of Labour in Senedd back Miles for leader
    Wales' 20mph speed limit: Road's eight changes in two miles
    Labour MP calls 20mph speed limit 'bonkers'
    He also said he wanted to talk about how the NHS copes with the current and future pressures on it and would also set up a national economic council to build prosperity.

"This must be the year that we get rid of the UK Tory government," Mr Miles said.

"Their incompetence, austerity and economic mismanagement have constrained Welsh government budgets meaning real world hardship for people and the services they rely on.

"However, none of that takes away from the absolute need of the next first minister and Welsh government to focus on the delivery of good, reliable public services for the people of Wales.

"That means having a government that reflects our communities, is relentless in protecting and improving public services, and is open to scrutiny and constructive criticism."

Both candidates are expected to announce a range of policy initiatives in the coming weeks, before Labour members all over Wales cast their vote.

The result is expected in March, with Mark Drakeford standing down before Easter.

Re: Welsh Labour leader hopeful Jeremy Miles' 20mph review pledge

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post

One of the candidates to be the next Welsh Labour leader says he will start a review of the 20mph speed limit in his first week in office, if elected.

Education Minister Jeremy Miles put forward five pledges for immediate action if he is chosen to succeed Mark Drakeford as first minister in March.

Last week his opponent, Economy Minister Vaughan Gething, said he would also favour a review of the policy.

That followed a Plaid Cymru amendment in the Senedd calling for the impact of the change to be "continuously reviewed" passed with the backing of Labour ministers and backbenchers.

Along with the pledge on the speed limit, Mr Miles also promised that at least half the members of his government would be women and that he would set up a new delivery unit in the Welsh government.

He also said he wanted to talk about how the NHS copes with the current and future pressures on it and would also set up a national economic council to build prosperity.

"This must be the year that we get rid of the UK Tory government," Mr Miles said.

"Their incompetence, austerity and economic mismanagement have constrained Welsh government budgets meaning real world hardship for people and the services they rely on.

"However, none of that takes away from the absolute need of the next first minister and Welsh government to focus on the delivery of good, reliable public services for the people of Wales.

"That means having a government that reflects our communities, is relentless in protecting and improving public services, and is open to scrutiny and constructive criticism."

Both candidates are expected to announce a range of policy initiatives in the coming weeks, before Labour members all over Wales cast their vote.

The result is expected in March, with Mark Drakeford standing down before Easter.
    It's simple. Labour realise the mess they've made with this 20mph policy. They think there are votes in this. No different to the Westminster Conservatives, who will keep going with immigration in the hope of votes.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's simple. Labour realise the mess they've made with this 20mph policy. They think there are votes in this. No different to the Westminster Conservatives, who will keep going with immigration in the hope of votes.
    Took them long enough, they'll be better without Drakeford.

I always said they would panic before the election as it would lose them votes, many disagreed, but it was so obvious.

Took them long enough, they'll be better without Drakeford.

I always said they would panic before the election as it would lose them votes, many disagreed, but it was so obvious.
    I wouldn't call it panic, neither do I think it would have cost them votes. Not that many switch from Labour to Plaid. The Tories aren't electable in Wales. Lib Dem is a wasted vote so, unless you've got a strong independant in your area, not much would change. However, I think some voters would look at this as a party making the right call after getting something wrong. Opponents will call it a u-turn, but I don't have a problem with u-turns if the end result is right.

International

I wouldn't call it panic, neither do I think it would have cost them votes. Not that many switch from Labour to Plaid. The Tories aren't electable in Wales. Lib Dem is a wasted vote so, unless you've got a strong independant in your area, not much would change. However, I think some voters would look at this as a party making the right call after getting something wrong. Opponents will call it a u-turn, but I don't have a problem with u-turns if the end result is right.
    Agree on the last bit, they need a lot of u-turns after Drakeford, look at every policy, and change 99%.

It would have cost them votes, that's the reason to review, win more votes back.

Tories in Westminster are the same, go big on immigration or lose even more votes, although way to late.

A load of expense to implement and roll out rushed and a mess, then use a review as an election promise.

Joke really.

I assume he voted it through previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    A load of expense to implement and roll out rushed and a mess, then use a review as an election promise.

Joke really.

I assume he voted it through previously.
    Such a review would surely happen before the election.

None of the candidates are up to much, I would like to have seen Rebecca Evans stand

But if Miles is prepared to get rid of this 20 mph nonsense I think that might give him a leg up

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    None of the candidates are up to much, I would like to have seen Rebecca Evans stand

But if Miles is prepared to get rid of this 20 mph nonsense I think that might give him a leg up
    Gething would be terrible, I don't know much about Miles, but getting rid of 20 is a vote winner for sure.

Gething would be terrible, I don't know much about Miles, but getting rid of 20 is a vote winner for sure.
    As bad as gething might be the alternative is Andrew farmer boy RT Davies

Billy Bunter

Conservative

You can forget about that

I doubt they will actually get rid of it. A few minor tweaks at the most.
    And if they have any sense they'll wait to see the proper impact first too, if it has saved as many lives as is predicted then it will be a very difficult call to make to scrap it altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    And if they have any sense they'll wait to see the proper impact first too, if it has saved as many lives as is predicted then it will be a very difficult call to make to scrap it altogether.
    Thing is that they'll never know if it has actually saved any lives. The numbers predicted were so small to begin with, plus data doesn't actually say what speeds vehicles were doing at the time of any accidents, only the speed limit. My suspicion is that there'll be little difference.

He hasn't said that.

International

Aye all politics, review means nothing really, read a report for 10 mins and say it's working well bar two roads per town/City changed back probably.

International

Build the M4 Brynglas tunnel bypass, should be a vote winner too.

Kicked into the long grass - note a review does not mean he will reverse it. Slimey toad / Born Guessing equally inept.
    Miles in charge if education and Wales are still bottom of the pisa league in the UK.

Drakeford Jnr basically

Build the M4 Brynglas tunnel bypass, should be a vote winner too.
    I'm not in favour of the destruction of much of the wetlands. As a species we seem to enjoy destroying nature as we take over more and more of the globe

Aye all politics, review means nothing really, read a report for 10 mins and say it's working well bar two roads per town/City changed back probably.
    yep most likely

Thing is that they'll never know if it has actually saved any lives. The numbers predicted were so small to begin with, plus data doesn't actually say what speeds vehicles were doing at the time of any accidents, only the speed limit. My suspicion is that there'll be little difference.
    they predicted 10-12 fewer deaths, and I think there were around 80-90 deaths in recent years, so if we do see something of the order of 10-12 fewer you'd have thought that it would be noticeable.

they predicted 10-12 fewer deaths, and I think there were around 80-90 deaths in recent years, so if we do see something of the order of 10-12 fewer you'd have thought that it would be noticeable.
    This was implemented in September, so by March we should have around 5 fewer deaths according to statistics. Such a small number could also be down to other factors.

This was implemented in September, so by March we should have around 5 fewer deaths according to statistics. Such a small number could also be down to other factors.
    yes, so we will need to wait longer to make a better assessment

yes, so we will need to wait longer to make a better assessment
    But even that's open to some sort of interpretation. 5 over 6 months, 10 over 12 months, 20 over 2 years, same sort of ratio. Let's also not forget that the 10-12 deaths was an estimate. There are more and more journeys taking place, so if the number barely fell, is it due to that, or people not paying attention to the speed limits? I think if there's a substantial reduction in deaths and serious injuries, then it'll have been worth it. My gut instinct is that it'll have made little difference.

If you want to be lectured to, like a naughty schoolchild then Vaughan Gething is the man

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    As bad as gething might be the alternative is Andrew farmer boy RT Davies

Billy Bunter

Conservative

You can forget about that
    As useless as Gethin agreed!