+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mr Bates V's the Post Office

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Mr Bates V's the Post Office

It's also outrageous that Fujitsu (who made the dodgy Horizon software then lied about it) have been awarded hundreds of millions of pounds worth of government contracts since the scandal broke.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I just read an article that asked how has Adam Crozier avoided the spotlight being shone on him during the recent programme on the subject as he was head of the Royal Mail at the time.

Turns out he is now head of the company that made/ commissioned the series

Just signed having watched the final episode. Now on 802,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Unfortunately can’t open this unless I join

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Use 12ft Ladder to access it: https://12ft.io/

Post Office suspected of more injustices over Horizon pilot scheme
    Exclusive: software believed to have resulted in prosecutions even before full system rollout in 1999

The Post Office is suspected of wrongly prosecuting dozens more operators who took part in a pilot scheme of the faulty Horizon system, the Guardian has been told.

Amid growing anger over the treatment of postmasters whose lives have been ruined in the scandal, Whitehall sources have confirmed that a precursor scheme was rolled out in 1995 and 1996 to hundreds of branches in north-east England.

After taking part in the pilot, at least two branch managers were prosecuted despite protesting that there was a glitch in the system, a senior Labour MP has claimed.

The development comes after a national outcry over the treatment of post office operators between 1999 and 2015 after faulty Fujitsu software made it appear as though money was missing from their outlets.

That petition reaching one million signatures will have enormous symbolic value and an awful lot of people with a normal set of values would bow to the pressure. However, if she's anything like the way she was portrayed in last week's drama, she doesn't have a normal set of values - I'm not sure whether she was genuinely crooked or she just couldn't see what the Post Office was doing wrong.

she did seem to be institutionalised

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    she needs to be institutionalised
    FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    she did seem to be institutionalised
    She should be incarcerated, the hypocritical cow

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That petition reaching one million signatures will have enormous symbolic value and an awful lot of people with a normal set of values would bow to the pressure. However, if she's anything like the way she was portrayed in last week's drama, she doesn't have a normal set of values - I'm not sure whether she was genuinely crooked or she just couldn't see what the Post Office was doing wrong.
    I think it was initially incompetence but when the post office decided to carry on prosecuting once they knew Fujitsu had remote access that becomes corruption in my eyes. And to think she was a Priest.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The Daily Mail has been running with this story for at least 8 years, often headlining it. It's criminal that no-one on Govt. has even bothered to redress the wrongs - until a TV programme brings it to the national conscience..

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The Daily Mail has been running with this story for at least 8 years, often headlining it. It's criminal that no-one on Govt. has even bothered to redress the wrongs - until a TV programme brings it to the national conscience..
    I wonder if libel claims can be made against newspapers that ran with "sub-postmistress stole money from pensioners".

“We were ostracised in Bridlington," he told Times Radio recently. "We were abused in the streets. Our daughter was bullied. She was on the school bus and spat on by a young boy because [they thought] her father was a thief, and he’d take money from old people.”

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    I wonder if libel claims can be made against newspapers that ran with "sub-postmistress stole money from pensioners".

“We were ostracised in Bridlington," he told Times Radio recently. "We were abused in the streets. Our daughter was bullied. She was on the school bus and spat on by a young boy because [they thought] her father was a thief, and he’d take money from old people.”
    Although the convictions may have been or may still be overturned, the newspapers would have been reporting the findings of the court at the time and which were not their responsibilty. It's heart-breaking for the poor souls that suffered from the ineptitude and viciousness of the Post Office but newspapers would be open to libel cases every time any conviction of any kind reported by them was overturned across the board.

By the way, although I watched the TV drama about it (and when I was doing something else at the time and may have missed some fine detail) how did the convictions take place without the Post Office presenting to the court a complete breakdown of the supposed takings, which could be audited in detail?

I did listen to the podcast a while ago but my memory of the detail on this front is hazy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    By the way, although I watched the TV drama about it, how did the convictions take place without the Post Office presenting to the court a complete breakdown of the supposed takings, which could be audited in detail?
    This comment ties in with my earlier post about why the sub-postmasters and mistresses didn't appear to do their own basic booking for say 24 hours which would have proved that their Horizon account was being skewed - and then presented this evidence to the courts.

I haven't seen much mention of something that featured prominently in the ITV series, the deliberate manipulation of Horizon by Fujitsu to manufacture deficits. We hear about gliches in the software, but this was deliberate invasive action and it could only be called a gliche because Fujitsu created a back-door whereby individual accounts could be altered.The purpose being to increase Post Office (and presumably their own) profits

Wait till people find out that Fujitsu sued the NHS for £700 million in 2014 after its IT contract was cancelled due to it being a "train wreck".

Watched the four episodes yesterday and was appalled by the story - of which I was aware.
    The flashing Horizon router lights were particularly sinister.

One thing I don't understand is why the postmasters didn't run a manual audit for 24 hours and compare it to Horizon's figures.

All they needed was an opening balance (ie £0.00), a note of incomings and outgoings (ie stamps - £1.00) and a closing balance. That could then have been checked against the actual cash for accuracy.
    Assuming everything balanced, that would have immediately proved there was a problem with the computer program.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Watched the four episodes yesterday and was appalled by the story - of which I was aware.
    The flashing Horizon router lights were particularly sinister.

One thing I don't understand is why the postmasters didn't run a manual audit for 24 hours and compare it to Horizon's figures.

All they needed was an opening balance (ie £0.00), a note of incomings and outgoings (ie stamps - £1.00) and a closing balance. That could then have been checked against the actual cash for accuracy.
    Assuming everything balanced, that would have immediately proved there was a problem with the computer program.
    This is what Alan Bates did and he said to the Post Office, “prove it”

He faced no charges, they just sacked him

International

Alan Bates has become an overnight success (after 20 years), yesterday he was on this morning, and Richard Branson gave him a holiday on his Island with first-class travel, and a top-end cruise on one of his ships, he was on all news stations and Newsnight. He was also being discussed in Westminster.

This story is going to run and run, and no doubt a lot more Fujitsu and post office Management are going to get dragged in.

Paula Vennells must be bricking it, up to 1,202,707, she would have got away with it if it wasn't for that pesky Alan Bates.

Paula Vennells, earned £4.500,000 in the 8 years she was in office, £2,200,000, of it in performance enhanced bonuses !!!!!!

The Great Train Robbers got 30 year sentence’s, she should get the same, the hypocritical bitch

International

Paula Vennells, earned £4.500,000 in the 8 years she was in office, £2,200,000, of it in performance enhanced bonuses !!!!!!

The Great Train Robbers got 30 year sentence’s, she should get the same, the hypocritical bitch
    Wow that is shocking and her cock ups are going to cost the post office hundreds of millions more in compensation, they should look to recover that money from her.

She's "voluntarily" given up her CBE.
    Obvious jump before push.
    She avoided the ignominy of having it taken away, thinking she'll come out of this smelling of roses.

Now for the petition to reclaim her bonus.

By the looks of her, she hasn’t had many “cock ups”
    Sludge wouldn't hesitate.

I hope her giving her cbe back doesn't overshadow the need for others to be held to account, including criminal charges if appropriate.