+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FA Cup Memories

Re: FA Cup Memories

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    Start of the run which led to losing to Everton at home in the fifth round. Fourth round was the famous 3-2 win over Wrexham. Billy Ashcroft equalised in the 89th minute and John Buchanan scored the winner almost straight away.

Many thought at the time that it was Cardiff's year to win with it being 50 years since 1927.

Big crowds at Ninian Park for those days in all three games. 27868 v Tottenham, 28,953 v Wrexham and 35,582 v Everton. League average that season was 12 thousand.

The Wrexham game was on Match of the Day as well, but I think that the Everton one wasn't because of a BBC strike.
    Fa cup games seemed to have bigger crowds than division one back then

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Gloucester City away fa Cup

Night Of The Living Dead
    I remember going there too….were we 1 or 2 down in the home leg and scored two really late goals

Championship clubs and their achievements in the FA Cup: https://www.reddit.com/r/Championshi...ements_in_the/

Poor Rotherham...

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I remember going there too….were we 1 or 2 down in the home leg and scored two really late goals
    Morys Scott scored all 3 of our goals in the tie. Whatever happened to Morys Scott?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I was on the Bob Bank that day and was convinced the McKenzie tapped Larmour’s ankles. Watching it back, I think I was way off the mark, seemed a legit goal.
    I was right in line with it Steve and i am sure McKenzie stepped on the heel of lamour's boot and then got away from him. He seemed to take on a few players and calmly slot the ball in the net.
    Spedger

Yes , 2 nil down

2 late goals from Morrys Scott

And he scored the only goal in the replay

Bedlam all day and night

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    I was right in line with it Steve and i am sure McKenzie stepped on the heel of lamour's boot and then got away from him. He seemed to take on a few players and calmly slot the ball in the net.
    Spedger
    At the time I was convinced he’d tapped the ankles of Larmour, I’m sure I’ve seen a clip since though that proves me wrong. I do remember fellow City fans fuming at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Spedger
    Here's the goal. Maybe Lamour should have gone down clutching his ankle. McKenzie was not as clinical as I remember. If there was some less panicky defending we could have got away with it. But there wasn't. And we didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Uo...nnel=stevelina

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Here's the goal. Maybe Lamour should have gone down clutching his ankle. McKenzie was not as clinical as I remember. If there was some less panicky defending we could have got away with it. But there wasn't. And we didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Uo...nnel=stevelina
    Thanks for posting. That is the first time I have seen that goal since that day.

I couldn't remember the run on goal, and I can now see what theotherbobwilson thought could have been a foul in the lead up to it.

However I am surprised about how close I was to remembering the last few seconds... I mean about the oil tanker sixpence turn, and the lack of a challenge by the City players.

The other thing I had forgotten about that game was that there were other goals scored; I always thought we were beaten 0-1. It would be interesting to see the Tony (walks on water) Evans goal.

Gloucester City away fa Cup

Night Of The Living Dead
    City fans set the portaloo on fire before the game had even started !

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    City fans set the portaloo on fire before the game had even started !
    The place was over run

They were glad to see the back of some of our lot that night

The place was over run

They were glad to see the back of some of our lot that night
    was that the game super ray daniel scored a worldie . 1989 ?

remember going on the train that night

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    Thanks for posting. That is the first time I have seen that goal since that day.

I couldn't remember the run on goal, and I can now see what theotherbobwilson thought could have been a foul in the lead up to it.

However I am surprised about how close I was to remembering the last few seconds... I mean about the oil tanker sixpence turn, and the lack of a challenge by the City players.

The other thing I had forgotten about that game was that there were other goals scored; I always thought we were beaten 0-1. It would be interesting to see the Tony (walks on water) Evans goal.
    Given the state of that penalty area, he did well to turn at all!

Yes , 2 nil down

2 late goals from Morrys Scott

And he scored the only goal in the replay

Bedlam all day and night
    The last i heard, Big Mo was at port Talbot coaching.

just found highlights from the home tie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJwWZnBe3BQ

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

Morris Scott scored for us at Gloucester away

And at home game too

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

He almost scored a worldie. Picked up the ball in our area, ran the length of the pitch beating about 6 Gloucester players, had a one on one with the keeper, and put it wide!!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    He almost scored a worldie. Picked up the ball in our area, ran the length of the pitch beating about 6 Gloucester players, had a one on one with the keeper, and put it wide!!
    thanks for clarification

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Weymouth 83 was a bad memory for me a window cleaner scored a hat trick to beat us but we did go on to get promotion that year so perhaps the old saying of concentrating on the league worked out for us that year.
    My memory is not great but think it was round 2. We lost 2-3 and pretty sure we’d been in front. I was 14. Absolutely gutted. But then hemmerman banged them in from everywhere in the league and ended up being one of my favourite ever seasons.

In the first leg about 50 Gloucester City came into Downtown, but it was fairly good natured.

The second match in Gloucester was lively, and loads of us got in without paying in the home end after City fans pulled down fences outside .

Good times following City them days.

Middlesbrough home was a bit mad outside The Albert when around 130 attacked about 60 of us with bottles etc apparently the cameras were not working

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    My memory is not great but think it was round 2. We lost 2-3 and pretty sure we’d been in front. I was 14. Absolutely gutted. But then hemmerman banged them in from everywhere in the league and ended up being one of my favourite ever seasons.
    Yer I think we were 2 up
    I remember the banter from the play ground plastics in school on the Monday.
    On the Duncan McKenzie goal for Everton I always remember that goal as the Albert lamour bad back pass goal.