+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FA Cup weekend fixtures

Re: FA Cup weekend / Sunderland Newcastle

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It’s a massive problem when you haven’t got the personnel to carry out the tactic.
    If he hits it first time into midfield towards a teammate, no problems. He didn't. He made the mistake. If it was a tactical issue, he'd be making the same mistake often.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If he hits it first time into midfield towards a teammate, no problems. He didn't. He made the mistake. If it was a tactical issue, he'd be making the same mistake often.
    They are consistently giving the ball away, at a certain point you need to change things or at least mix things up. It's far too easy for Newcastle.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It's not even that long ago that we played youngsters. Aaron Ramsey is the obvious one who played at 16/17, but Cameron Jerome was our starting striker at what, 18? Joe Ledley broke through at 17, so did Chris Gunter and Adam Matthews, James Collins and Darcy Blake broke in as 18 year olds. Even under Mackay younger players like Ben Nugent and Declan John got opportunities. It seems in recent years we've employed "pragmatic" managers with little to no interest in developing players which ends with us loading up on crap journeymen we can't shift

What's baffling is that it's not like our age group sides are uniquely crap, they're actually generally decent and we've seen players poached by big clubs. Swansea, a side who we've generally gotten the better of in age group levels over recent years, played a 17 year old at Boro recently and he did well. I find it hard to believe that he's far better than every 17 year old at Cardiff
    When managers can nowadays get sacked after a handful of poor results is it any wonder that many of them have become risk averse and unwilling to put their faith in kids.

To be fair, people only notice when playing out from the back goes wrong. However, it’s all about risk and reward - if playing out from the back costs you four goals a season, you have to score five or six from playing it to make it worthwhile. That’s on for the top clubs, but, as you go down the divisions, the chances are that the mistakes will increase and the creativity will not be there to make the plan work, so managers need to be reslistic - City haven’t had a team to play out from the back successfully in recent years, in fact I wonder if they ever have.

FT: Maidstone 1 - 0 Stevenage

Well done the non league side. Into the 4th rd for the first time.

Wins also for Leicester, Ipswich and Coventry.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Mark Harris on the scoresheet for Oxford at Coventry

8 goals and 4 assists this season for him and a regular for 5th placed Oxford. Good for him

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Mark Harris has scored for Oxford, but it’s not doing them much good.

Sunderland rather messing up their big game so far, they seem a bit overawed by the occasion.
    Ben Wilson who has been out of favour for Coventry after being in championship team of the year in goals against his former teammate Harris.

6-2 in the end to Cov.

Been disappointed with the televised ties so far, Sunderland have been pretty feeble against a team that must have been fearing the worst coming into the game.

Not two or three minutes after the goal a Sunderland defender did receive it short and played a pass forward directly to an oncoming Newcastle midfielder, cue another black ‘n’ white attack.

I’d love us to play out and through the midfield successfully but can you see us achieving this with our squad. We need to mix things up, the long punt doesn’t work as our ability in the air is also sadly lacking, it’s all down to movement I s’pose, players finding space, going wide etc. Don’t get me wrong, I’m quietly happy with our points return, despite the way we’ve played, certainly after the last couple of seasons. But I’m struggling to witness any plans B or C to go with the unimpressive plan A. Is it the coaching that’s at fault

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Should we go through today (I know, I know) we could draw Maidstone and get revenge for that 0-5 home defeat on New Years' Day years ago.

It's not the playing out from the back that's the problem, as long as defenders know their limitations or potential problems. Newcastle's front men are far quicker in thought and foot than anything in the Championship, so they should know they won't have any time to dwell on the ball. When they can get through the advanced forward line they have a bit more room in midfield.

Individual error, not a problem with playing out from the back.
    It clearly is

It’s a massive problem when you haven’t got the personnel to carry out the tactic.
    Don't argue with Eric, Mr total football even if we end up in league 2

I am underwhelmed by all the games this afternoon....certainly cannot decide which to watch...if any.

...probably QPR v Bournemouth...see how KM fares against a poor Championship side....

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They are consistently giving the ball away, at a certain point you need to change things or at least mix things up. It's far too easy for Newcastle.
    They hardly have the players to mix things up against a side like Newcastle, either. To me it was more evidence that the gap between Prem and Champ is growing.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Don't argue with Eric, Mr total football even if we end up in league 2
    Let's not start spouting your usual bollocks, mate. You're really starting to piss me off with your all-knowing, everyone else is wrong attitude who belittles others.

Anyway, I'm watching FA Cup Live which switches from game to game. It's quite exciting. Newport just had a decent chance.

Let's not start spouting your usual bollocks, mate. You're really starting to piss me off with your all-knowing, everyone else is wrong attitude who belittles others.
    Up yours

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Anyway, I'm watching FA Cup Live which switches from game to game. It's quite exciting. Newport just had a decent chance.
    What stream is that?!!! I did not see one...!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I am underwhelmed by all the games this afternoon....certainly cannot decide which to watch...if any.

...probably QPR v Bournemouth...see how KM fares against a poor Championship side....
    QPR 2 Bournemouth 0......

QPR 2 Bournemouth 0......
    I’m watching this, hoping Brooks & Moore have stinkers and are unceremoniously shipped out to the City

I’m watching this, hoping Brooks & Moore have stinkers and are unceremoniously shipped out to the City
    Well they are not pulling up trees first half.....

What stream is that?!!! I did not see one...!
    It's on ESPN+. There are a few live games on too. We're on later.

And Brooks and Moore playing that makes them Cup tied

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's on ESPN+. There are a few live games on too. We're on later.
    Shame I can't get that or stream here....

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    And Brooks and Moore playing that makes them Cup tied
    Missing Wembley with us will be a pisser but the Play Off final win there will make up for it