+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footballers and tattoos!!

Footballers and tattoos!!

What is this new craze for footballers and other sportsmen to want to be clothed from head to foot in tattoos many of which they will never be able to see?. Is it symptomatic of the amount of free time these guys have after their short daily stint of training. Instead of perhaps studying for something useful to be able to do post football career let’s just pop down to the local tattooist and spend a few grand in the parlour chair and cover another piece of skin. Indeed in the case of Ben White the Arsenal player you can have another masterpiece needled in whilst changing your skin colour to orange.

Re: Footballers and tattoos!!

Not a fan of tattoos, Why was Ben White SO tanned? Was it from a tanning shop?

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    Not a fan of tattoos, Why was Ben White SO tanned? Was it from a tanning shop?
    Yup, his father owns over 50 tanning shops in the London area

Sheeple

They have so much spare money and time they run out of things to do with it all.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    What is this new craze for footballers and other sportsmen to want to be clothed from head to foot in tattoos many of which they will never be able to see?. Is it symptomatic of the amount of free time these guys have after their short daily stint of training. Instead of perhaps studying for something useful to be able to do post football career let’s just pop down to the local tattooist and spend a few grand in the parlour chair and cover another piece of skin. Indeed in the case of Ben White the Arsenal player you can have another masterpiece needled in whilst changing your skin colour to orange.
    Some time ago I posted a similar message wondering whether a 'best' team without tattoos could beat a 'best' team with tattoos.

Mo Salah refuses to have tattoos because he is a Muslim and tattoos are forbidden in Islam.

To be fair, it's not just footballers, it's now a large section of society that seem obsessed with having tattoos. Girls, boys, old men and old women, they can't get enough of them.

A people watching game me and the missus play on hols is to spot the oldest tattooed women. It's quite incredible to see a woman pushing 80 with a full sleeve, tattooed boobs and a multi coloured back !

Not for me but each to their own.

I feel that I'm being somewhat alternative by NOT having tattoos.

On my passport, where it says any distinguishing features, I was tempted to write.. "No tattoos".

Tattoos are expensive, so naturally the people who like tattoos and can afford lots of them, have lots of them.

I’ve never had one but I’ve heard from lots of people that it can be quite addictive, but I suppose the cost and the effect it can have on normal day to day job opportunities can put normal folk off covering their entire body.

Footballers don’t need to worry about that though.

If it was cheaper, and affected jobs etc less, I’m sure it wouldn’t seem like it’s just a footballer thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, his father owns over 50 tanning shops in the London area
    Vincent Tan?

They’re not my cup of tea but they’re popular everywhere, especially in that age group.

I’d have thought a more sensible post would be why are tattoos so popular and seemingly becoming more so

But I guess if you only see this age range on a football pitch you’d presume it’s exclusive to footballers

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    To be fair, it's not just footballers, it's now a large section of society that seem obsessed with having tattoos. Girls, boys, old men and old women, they can't get enough of them.

A people watching game me and the missus play on hols is to spot the oldest tattooed women. It's quite incredible to see a woman pushing 80 with a full sleeve, tattooed boobs and a multi coloured back !

Not for me but each to their own.
    I am one with your ultimate comment. However, I reckon that many young people don't realise that their style of presenting themselves may change drastically as time goes by.
    I no longer doodle the names of heavy rock bands on my pencil case and the lilac suit with flared, turn-up trousers that I attended my brother's wedding in would be a source of embarrassment and mirth if it saw the light of day these days.
    No doubt that some people will cherish their tattoos long-term but some people may not yet be prepared to see their bank manager sporting facial tattoos and the local vicar with 'Love' and 'Hate' inscribed on his knuckles.
    The wife of the vicar in a village I lived in ten years ago was a huge 'Slipnot' fan but only went as far as attending their gigs and wearing t-shirts adorned with their name and associated imagery.
    However, we are all God's children......

International

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    They are thick and want to stand out, and probably some dopey young ladies like blokes with them, they'll mostly regret it when they are older.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    They are thick and want to stand out, and probably some dopey young ladies like blokes with them, they'll mostly regret it when they are older.
    You hit the nail on its head!

Somebody once said…”Nothing says ‘look at me, I’m a ****wit’, more than a neck tattoo”….lets go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    100%. My wife had a tattoo when she turned 18. It cost a fortune to have it lazered off.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    100%. My wife had a tattoo when she turned 18. It cost a fortune to have it lazered off.
    You're saying your missus was thick and wanted to stand out when she was 18?

I'm quite surprised by the vehement anti-tats comments on here. I fully expected more tattoo lovers to put their side of the argument. Not that I'm one of them but there must be loads on here who are. Still time I suppose.

Why does anyone care?

People have been tattooing themselves for 5000 years and will continue to do so.

50 years ago down the pub there were grumpy old men saying why are these footballers growing their hair long and wearing fruity clothing.

Let them do what they want its not harming anyone on here.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You're saying your missus was thick and wanted to stand out when she was 18?

Last week I noticed some young lady (for Sky I think and interviewing a darts player if memory serves) had a great big neck tattoo.

What is wrong with these people?
    By that I mean the lady in question and those who thought "I know I'll not only give her job but put her on live television broadcast to millions looking feckin ridiculous"

International

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Last week I noticed some young lady (for Sky I think and interviewing a darts player if memory serves) had a great big neck tattoo.

What is wrong with these people?
    By that I mean the lady in question and those who thought "I know I'll not only give her job but put her on live television broadcast to millions looking feckin ridiculous"
    Probably needed a female interviewer and she was the only one that applied, just feel glad she's not doing Super Sunday and you won't have to see her every week.

I genuinely believe that youngsters of today do not concern themselves with the views of others, unless they come from their own peer group. Not too different from us when we were young I suppose but having a tattooed head and neck is slightly more extreme and permanent that growing your hair long.

There were of course rebellious types but by and large we were mindful of what other people would think of us, which would be brought into focus when you went for a job interview for instance.

I'm not being critical of today's youth or tattoo lovers in general. Good luck to them, they're not causing any harm but the difference in standards nowadays are so stark to what we were used to, it's no wonder that views on tattoos in particular can be so divisive.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Why does anyone care?

People have been tattooing themselves for 5000 years and will continue to do so.

50 years ago down the pub there were grumpy old men saying why are these footballers growing their hair long and wearing fruity clothing.

Indeed. I was such a person but hair and clothing are easily changed as we go through life and move in different milieu and change our appearanceto suit different circumstances. I just think that there will be a proportion of youngsters who won't so easily be able to remove their own badges of youth as they grow older. For those who won't have such regrets, that's fine and dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Why does anyone care?:

You do wonder how many Rupert’s use this board , it’s like nerds R Us