+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Bitter/Sweet Day for me today

A Bitter/Sweet Day for me today

My wife and I were so proud when my son passed his physiotherapy degree and we were really happy when he was offered a post in the NHS starting on January 8.

And I was so pleased to see him go to work this morning.

Sadly my wife was not there to share my happiness.

After being admitted to UHW with a minor stroke at the end of July she was expected home after a few weeks rehab

Unfortunately she picked up a hospital acquired infection followed by kidney problems requiring dialysis.

She fought back from this and in early September we we told she would again be moved to the rehab ward. It would take months this time but we expected she would be home before Christmas.

Two days later she started coughing again. Another hospital acquired infection, this time aspiration pneumonia.

Next day, the hospital told us that she would not recover.

They had told us that, before, 5 or 6 times in the previous few years and each time she has proved them wrong.

Devastatingly, not this time. She had lapsed into unconsciousness and she fought on for over a fortnight, but on 21 September, she stepped through God's open door to join her mum and dad in her eternal rest.

But I am sure she was looking down with pride on my son today.

First Team

Re: A Bitter/Sweet Day for me today

Fair to say your lad has done the both of you proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Fair to say your lad has done the both of you proud.
    Indeed Major.

Tears of happiness and sadness today

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Indeed Major.

Tears of happiness and sadness today
    An inspiring post for the start of an inspiring career. She will be with him every step of the way.

So sorry to read that about your wife but your lad has indeed done you both proud.

No comparison I know but I went to the funeral of my best friend last week (he was expecting to live another year but died suddenly about a week after the diagnosis) and his grand-daughter is expecting what would have been his only great-grand-daughter very soon. Treasure every moment of life is the message I think.

My sincere commiserations Elwood. May she rest in peace.

A proud but poignant day Elwood.

Very bittersweet.
    Best wishes for you and your son.

Bittersweet indeed. I suppose the best way to look at it is that at least your wife knew that your son had got his degree and that he had a job lined up - that would not have been the case if the doctors had been right about her in the past.

May your wife rest in peace and my condolences to you and your son - I hope he has a long career which turns out to be everything he wants it to be.

International

My wife and I were so proud when my son passed his physiotherapy degree and we were really happy when he was offered a post in the NHS starting on January 8.

And I was so pleased to see him go to work this morning.

Sadly my wife was not there to share my happiness.

After being admitted to UHW with a minor stroke at the end of July she was expected home after a few weeks rehab

Unfortunately she picked up a hospital acquired infection followed by kidney problems requiring dialysis.

She fought back from this and in early September we we told she would again be moved to the rehab ward. It would take months this time but we expected she would be home before Christmas.

Two days later she started coughing again. Another hospital acquired infection, this time aspiration pneumonia.

Next day, the hospital told us that she would not recover.

They had told us that, before, 5 or 6 times in the previous few years and each time she has proved them wrong.

Devastatingly, not this time. She had lapsed into unconsciousness and she fought on for over a fortnight, but on 21 September, she stepped through God's open door to join her mum and dad in her eternal rest.

But I am sure she was looking down with pride on my son today.
    Deepest sympathy, that is so sad, life can be a real B*******, all the very best to you both moving forward, you should feel proud.

Sorry for your loss EB, condolences
    and pleased for your son.
    Take care.

My sincere condolences for your loss EB and my congratulations for your Son.
    You should feel very proud!

Sorry to read about your wife , that must have been tough on all of you , congratulations to your son

Stay strong Elwood. Be proud of your son.

Sorry about the passing of your wife.

Apologies I should have responded to your replies before.

Many thanks for all your kind words. It has been much appreciated by me and my family at this difficult time.

People who enter the caring professions like the health service are to be admired

I am sure you are very sad at this time but very proud

Yes I am very proud Sludge

My wife was a nurse. My one son is a physio,and my daughter, after working in a care home for 20 years is now working as a health care assistant in Llandough but her manager wants her to do her nursing training. I am of course proud of my other son who is not in the health service ( and musn't forget my granddaughter who dif at lot for my wife in the house).

I worked for the Cardiff and Vale Trust as an administrator for three years as my final job before I took early retirement to look after my as her serious health problems were causing her problems.

Spent so much time in doctors surgery,clinics and hospital wards since then I am an expert in the workings of the Cardiff snd Vale Trust !

And while there is much to be admired in the work of the doctors nurses physio's and the rest, sadly there have been too many times over the years where the treatment she received has been substandard and me and my family saw both aspects in her final couple of months in hospital

But I try to remember the many good times we had.

Yes I am very proud Sludge

My wife was a nurse. My one son is a physio,and my daughter, after working in a care home for 20 years is now working as a health care assistant in Llandough but her manager wants her to do her nursing training. I am of course proud of my other son who is not in the health service ( and musn't forget my granddaughter who dif at lot for my wife in the house).

I worked for the Cardiff and Vale Trust as an administrator for three years as my final job before I took early retirement to look after my as her serious health problems were causing her problems.

Spent so much time in doctors surgery,clinics and hospital wards since then I am an expert in the workings of the Cardiff snd Vale Trust !

And while there is much to be admired in the work of the doctors nurses physio's and the rest, sadly there have been too many times over the years where the treatment she received has been substandard and me and my family saw both aspects in her final couple of months in hospital

But I try to remember the many good times we had.
    I can concur with your final paragraph. So sorry about your wife, your son has done you proud, as have all of your kids.

So sad Elwood blues god bless to you and all your family your wife will be looking down with all her love fella

Your children are your legacy in this world. You and your wife have obviously left a good legacy