+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: JPR dies age 74

JPR dies age 74

Another legend gone.

Re: JPR dies age 74

FFs it's started

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

A long time ago I was laying on a stretcher in the old Infirmary. I’d just had my knee x rayed. It looked a right state.

JPR walks past and asked what happened and wanted to see the x ray. He comes back and asked if I’d like him to help. He told me to hold on tight. He proceeded to manipulate my knee. Fk me it was so painful I fainted

I was on painkillers and off my feet for weeks after. When I went back to have it checked the doctor told me that if JPR hadn’t performed that bit of magic I would probably have walked with a limp afterwards.

At the time I was thinking that if he’d left it alone I would probably have been ok but afterwards I was really grateful that he’d taken the trouble to help me.

I bumped into him near the City Arms some 6-9 months later. I said hello and straight away he asked how my knee was getting on.

What a lovely lovely genuine (but fkg rough) man.

RIP JPR icon

https://youtu.be/Lw1nhfVohfs?si=cnFDlzLfiu-tS8By

I remember in school us being allowed to watch Bridgend v NZ in 1979. The game where he had his cheek raked open by an All Black boot, went off for some stitches then came back on the pitch.
    Awesome player.

Wow, another sporting legend gone. Meningitis apparently - tragic.

In the late 70s he used to work in Barry. On Mondays, I think. Anyway, I broke my hand and he was my doctor. I couldn't believe it when I saw him, instantly recognizable. I'm not sure if I even knew he was a doctor.

Always found it hard to reconcile his medical background with how he would go actively seeking physical collisions on the rugby pitch - in that respect, he was ahead of his time and I believe he would have been as effective a player now as he was in the seventies.

If I had to pick one moment from his career to remember him by now, it would be his drop goal for the Lions in the fourth test in New Zealand to seal a draw in the game and a 2-1 series win. It was a superb kick from about forty yards which absolutely sailed through the posts and, from memory, it was the only drop kick I saw him attempt in his career, yet it was so good that you had to think why didn't he try more of them - the thing was though, JPR wasn't a drop goal type player, he much preferred running and tackling.

He was also a very good tennis player as a youngster.

RIP

Often saw him driving in lanes when I was cycling.
    Thanks for the great sporting memories.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    A long time ago I was laying on a stretcher in the old Infirmary. I’d just had my knee x rayed. It looked a right state.

JPR walks past and asked what happened and wanted to see the x ray. He comes back and asked if I’d like him to help. He told me to hold on tight. He proceeded to manipulate my knee. Fk me it was so painful I fainted

I was on painkillers and off my feet for weeks after. When I went back to have it checked the doctor told me that if JPR hadn’t performed that bit of magic I would probably have walked with a limp afterwards.

At the time I was thinking that if he’d left it alone I would probably have been ok but afterwards I was really grateful that he’d taken the trouble to help me.

I bumped into him near the City Arms some 6-9 months later. I said hello and straight away he asked how my knee was getting on.

What a lovely lovely genuine (but fkg rough) man.

RIP JPR icon

https://youtu.be/Lw1nhfVohfs?si=cnFDlzLfiu-tS8By
    Well he is a leg-end.
    R.I.P. JPR.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Always found it hard to reconcile his medical background with how he would go actively seeking physical collisions on the rugby pitch - in that respect, he was ahead of his time and I believe he would have been as effective a player now as he was in the seventies.

If I had to pick one moment from his career to remember him by now, it would be his drop goal for the Lions in the fourth test in New Zealand to seal a draw in the game and a 2-1 series win. It was a superb kick from about forty yards which absolutely sailed through the posts and, from memory, it was the only drop kick I saw him attempt in his career, yet it was so good that you had to think why didn't he try more of them - the thing was though, JPR wasn't a drop goal type player, he much preferred running and tackling.

RIP
    That drop-goal, where did he manage to pull that one from? As you said, he was never known for this aspect of his game, and yet he hit it so sweetly that you'd think he must have practiced that a lot.

I think he represented Wales at tennis too.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

RIP
    Loved his cricket too and didn't he win junior Wimbledon?

RIP JPR

First Team

A seriously impressive individual who excelled both on and off the sporting arena.

A real Welsh sporting hero. I feel so lucky to have memories of him playing. I think the term “Hard as nails” was created for him.
    RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

RIP JPR
    Bit of a myth built up about him winning junior Wimbledon. Apparently he won British National junior tournament there on the clay courts not the actual junior Wimbledon title. Still some achievement though.

I thought he was indestructible. Condolences to his family.
    “ and so the Trojans came to bury Hector, breaker of horses “

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

RIP JPR
    He was a good tennis player, played in the same club and county team with my old man….

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bit of a myth built up about him winning junior Wimbledon. Apparently he won British National junior tournament there on the clay courts not the actual junior Wimbledon title. Still some achievement though.