+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any solicitors on here? Credit agency advice if possible.

Any solicitors on here? Credit agency advice if possible.

Me and three other people were put in charge of my late cousins will and estate.
    We've done everything by the book.
    Sold the house.
    Possessions etc and have paid off all his creditors apart from a credit agency who claim he owes £56000 in old credit card debts.

We have asked for proof about two months ago and they said it could take some time to get.

We've since contacted them again and they said its hard to get the proof as the debts were so long ago and it seems they've all been bought by this debt company.

I presume we will have to get a solicitor involved for such a large amount, but is this a case of if they can't give the proof of the debts being taken out then they can't have it?

As executors of the will we are waiting to divide up his estate to his beneficiaries as everything else has been done apart from this stumbling block.
    Cheers for any advice

Re: Any solicitors on here? Credit agency advice if possible.

From chtGPT4

As executors of a will, you have the responsibility to ensure that all debts and obligations of the estate are settled before distributing the remaining assets to the beneficiaries. Here are some key points to consider in your situation:

Requesting Proof of Debt: It's standard practice to request proof of any claims against the estate. If the credit agency is unable to provide adequate proof of the debt, they may not have a valid claim. Proof typically includes original credit agreements, statements showing the debt amount, and any relevant documentation.

Statute of Limitations: In many jurisdictions, there's a statute of limitations on debt. If the debt is very old, it might no longer be legally enforceable. However, this depends on the specific laws of your country and region.

Role of Solicitors: Given the large amount in question, consulting a solicitor is a prudent step. A solicitor can provide legal advice specific to your situation, including the validity of the debt claim and any relevant statutes of limitations.

Debt Purchase by a Collection Agency: If the debt has been purchased by a collection agency, they should still be able to provide proof of the debt. The lack of documentation might weaken their claim.

Distribution of Estate: As executors, you must ensure all valid debts are paid before distributing the estate. If there's uncertainty about a debt claim, it's wise to resolve this before making distributions to beneficiaries. This may involve legal consultation or even a court decision.

Estate Liability: It's important to remember that the liability for debts usually lies with the estate, not with the executors personally. However, if the estate is distributed without settling valid debts, executors could potentially be held responsible.

Communication with Beneficiaries: Keep the beneficiaries informed about the situation and the steps being taken. Transparency helps manage expectations and reduces potential conflicts.

Legal Proceedings: If the credit agency insists on the debt but fails to provide proof, they may need to take legal action to enforce it. A solicitor can advise on how to handle such a situation.

Given the complexity and the large amount of money involved, professional legal advice is strongly recommended. Each situation can have unique legal implications, and a qualified solicitor can guide you through the process while ensuring compliance with legal obligations.

Curtesy of ChatGPT 4

My opinion - they are chancing their arm and will want to tie you up in letters from their law dept in order to drain some money from the estate. Unfortunately that means you also have to pay a lawyer to engage with them. What is the last step of the execution of the will - I guess it where the probate office says case closed. After that - there is no come back from anybody.

Keep us informed of developments

There is a six year limit to commence any legal proceedings to recover debts.
    However, this will not apply if the debts are already subject to a CCJ.

Definitely consult with a solicitor, happy to put you in touch with mine if you like. We are in a probate situation which is over a year long now - unfortunately the estate is in the hands of another firm of solicitors who aren't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    There is a six year limit to commence any legal proceedings to recover debts.
    However, this will not apply if the debts are already subject to a CCJ.
    I would have thought for 56K - a CCJ would have already been applied for and issued - if the claim was bonafide.

You've asked the question now let them prove the debt They'll be well aware of the legal obligations to prove it and as the other poster says if it's over six years they can whistle.

All good advice - I personally do not see the need to involve solicitors and their costs. @pipster and @sneggyblubird are correct.
    Unless they provide proof of debt, and that it is within six years (unless CC judgement), you have no obligation. If the debit had been sold then the original company would not now be involved.

Whoever has contacted you regarding this...I would write a 'final response' letter saying they have 30 days to prove the debt AND also provide the original signed credit card agreement, or you will close the estate.
    If they DO provide proof of debt I bet they won't have the original signed CC agreement......which in itself may not be termed correctly!

I've had a lot of dealings regarding CC debt(!), as although some people claim I have a good life now (which I do...) 12 years ago I was on my knees with CC debt (due to bad property development) and eventually fought my own way through the mire. If you need specific advice how to word things PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Me and three other people were put in charge of my late cousins will and estate.
    We've done everything by the book.
    Sold the house.
    Possessions etc and have paid off all his creditors apart from a credit agency who claim he owes £56000 in old credit card debts.

We have asked for proof about two months ago and they said it could take some time to get.

We've since contacted them again and they said its hard to get the proof as the debts were so long ago and it seems they've all been bought by this debt company.

I presume we will have to get a solicitor involved for such a large amount, but is this a case of if they can't give the proof of the debts being taken out then they can't have it?

As executors of the will we are waiting to divide up his estate to his beneficiaries as everything else has been done apart from this stumbling block.
    Cheers for any advice
    I take it there is no record of said credit card(s), letters from CC company demanding repayment, record of a CCJ or similar paperwork within your cousin's estate? Sounds very much like these people are chancers. A Google search/search of Companies House records might shed some light on the business ie are they even legit, have other executors been approached with such claims?. Otherwise, as advised above..."final proof" or "go away".

International

All seems like good advice, I agree it sounds a bit dodgy to me, if he owed it of course they could prove it no one is going to pay without proof. I wouldn't use a solicitor yet, as above right back asking for proof and give them a month to prove it, they will if it's genuine. See what happens and then maybe appoint a solicitor although they are expensive for what they do, so avoid them if you can.
    Depending on how big the estate is can't you make a provisional payment to the beneficiaries explaining why you have to retain £60k or so for the time being?

No...do not make provision......issue a proof or desist!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    No...do not make provision......issue a proof or desist!!
    Sorry Maurice, I mean pay some money to the beneficiaries if they are in need and ask for the money, while retaining enough to pay the debt if they have to eventually?

Mind you if solicitors did get involved it would be better to retain a larger amount to pay the debt and cover the solicitor's fees.

Anyway, good luck Bob, let us know how it pans out!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Sorry Maurice, I mean pay some money to the beneficiaries if they are in need and ask for the money, while retaining enough to pay the debt if they have to eventually?

Mind you if solicitors did get involved it would be better to retain a larger amount to pay the debt and cover the solicitor's fees.

Anyway, good luck Bob, let us know how it pans out!
    Well...with the best will in the world I would not do that...proceed as I have suggested.....from experience!! No solicitor needed.....I sorted out my own - which were over 100k!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    I take it there is no record of said credit card(s), letters from CC company demanding repayment, record of a CCJ or similar paperwork within your cousin's estate? Sounds very much like these people are chancers. A Google search/search of Companies House records might shed some light on the business ie are they even legit, have other executors been approached with such claims?. Otherwise, as advised above..."final proof" or "go away".
    £56,000 seems a lot for credit card debts ? Everyone’s different but would an old person with an estate have such high debts?

International

Whats the name of the agency? I have one trying to contact me for a credit card debtwhich my bank says doesn't exist. Write a letter telling them to cease and desist. Also run their name through google

There are credit agencies that buy up old debts, that are generally unrecoverable, for pennies on the pound.

There are a few letter templates on places like money saving expert site, that you can use to send back to them saying the debt isn't recognised or disputed, and saying do not make any further contact unless you can provide evidence of liability for the debt or this will be seen as harassment, that quote various FCA rules etc. Send one of those and you'll probably never hear from them again

i was going to ask similar related to will situation

is there a solicitor on here or is it just awsome great advise from the members, it would be awsome to know

also my brother is being chased by a old mobile phone bill, which he claims not to owe, but on a serious note he said to me hed never been with such provider, i warned him not to communicate but he went to cit advise and they emailed on his behalf... they sent dates and times of when he owes the money from yet my bro was with a provider and paying his bills as he has bank statements and a contract he can provide... the company chasing him are either some top notch scam shit as they have entered a ccj on his credit and told the cit advice they dont have to provide contracts... such a strange turn of events... its for just under 2k nothing like yours but if they do this to enough people that 2k adds up... the cit advise said he must admit alot of folks get this kind of thing and they just pay it without a chalenge... but my bro is adamnt he dont owe this and his credit score was like boom through the roof before this, even the cit advise guy has not ruled some heavy corrupt inside hack scam going on as he has a ccj for a bill he says he dont owe...

but side note if there are solicitor on here who can help me ive a big situation regarding a will and large estate on my hands

@bluemoon. If they have entered a CCJ the very first thing you do is to issue then with a Search Access Request (SAR). I believe it's ffee these days (used to be £10). They DO have to provide contract duly signed. Not a solicitor but have quite a bit of legal knowledge...PM me if you need more.

thanks my bro, ill pass info on

respect that thanks

Cheers guys, one of the other executors has made an appointment with a solicitor.
    He spoke to the credit agencies solicitors Phillips and Cohen yesterday and they have said that because the debts are so old they are having problems locating the original paperwork of when the debts were taken out etc.
    The company I believe are called Capquest who the debts belong too.

We have gone down the solicitor route as we don't want anything coming back to bite us in a few months time.
    Our theory is, if the solicitor only costs a few hundred quid to clear the £53000 debt then we will be well up and free from being chased for the money in the future.
    I'll let you know how we get on.

Cheers guys, one of the other executors has made an appointment with a solicitor.
    He spoke to the credit agencies solicitors Phillips and Cohen yesterday and they have said that because the debts are so old they are having problems locating the original paperwork of when the debts were taken out etc.

We have gone down the solicitor route as we don't want anything coming back to bite us in a few months time.
    Our theory is, if the solicitor only costs a few hundred quid to clear the £53000 debt then we will be well up and free from being chased for the money in the future.
    Probably a good move. My lady is currently involved in sorted out very complicated probate (and which she has done herself as she is an accountant) but being an executor is not without its possible perils.

...... they have said that because the debts are so old they are having problems locating the original paperwork of when the debts were taken out etc.
    Each to their own...but if they cannot produce paperwork they have no case...!! Solicitors will say the same.
    Anyway...hope it gets resolved.

International

Nice one good luck with it !

https://www.capquest.co.uk/content/c...cting-you.html

Capquest Debt Recovery Limited is part of the Intrum Group, whose registered UK office is at The Omnibus Building, Lesbourne Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 7JP.

At Capquest we take your feedback and any complaints we receive very seriously and have a formal complaints procedure (pdf).

We abide by the strictest regulatory standards which means we operate at the highest possible ethical level. Below are the details of our licence and registrations numbers:

Capquest Debt Recovery Limited is registered in England and Wales with company number 03772278. Its registered office is Belvedere, 12 Booth Street, Manchester, M2 4AW.

Capquest Debt Recovery Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for certain credit-related regulated activities and is registered on the Financial Services Register under registration number 721513. Capquest Debt Recovery Limited is part of the Intrum Group, whose registered UK office is at The Omnibus Building, Lesbourne Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 7JP.

Make a complaint by phone
    Call the complaints department directly on 0333 999 7217* (calls may be recorded for quality and training purposes).

Make a complaint by letter
    Submit your complaint in writing to:
    Capquest Group
    Capella Building
    60 York Street
    Glasgow
    G2 8JX

Make a complaint by email
    complaintsin@capquest.co.uk

Please ensure your reference number is clearly stated on all correspondence to avoid any delays in processing your complaint.

We always strive to provide our customers with the best service and to ensure all of our customers are treated fairly. We accept, however, that sometimes things go wrong, which is why we have a robust complaint resolution process in place. We regularly report on the volume of complaints received to the FCA. To view the data in relation to complaints we received between 1st January 2023 and 30th June 2023, click here.

International

https://www.moneyadviceonline.co.uk/...20MUST%20CHECK!

Do you need advice & help on how deal with Capquest?

Do you need to make a payment?

Or are you wondering why they keep calling and sending you letters.

Below you'll find out everything there is to know about Capquest Debt, including their contact and address information.

CapQuest debt
    Need help with CapQuest Debt Collectors?
    Just call the team on 0800 3688133 (freephone), or fill in the form and we'll call you back and STOP Capquest!

Who are CapQuest Debt Recovery?
    Capquest are a company that buy "bad debts" from banks, telecoms suppliers, mobile companies and other credit lenders at a discounted rate. They then chase the debtor for the full amount of the original debt.

Chances are they are calling or writing to you because they have purchased your debt from the original lender, and believe you owe money.

The original debt won’t be to CapQuest Debt Recovery, which is why you might not recognise the name.

If you have been contacted by them, you have to make a decision on how to deal with them.

Do you actually owe them any money?
    CapQuest are just a debt collection agency, and therefore have to provide clear evidence that you owe the money.

Just because they keep calling or are writing you letters stating that you owe them money, does not mean you actually do. YOU MUST CHECK!

Are they chasing old debt?
    It could be statute barred, which means you no longer owe it.

If you do owe them money then do not enter into an agreement with them before you have taken advice.

This will make sure that they can prove that you actually owe the debt, and if so, that you get an agreement which is affordable for you.

Too often people are pressurised into paying the amount the debt collection agency want them to pay, even if they really can't afford to pay that much each week or month.

Our experts deal with CapQuest Debt Recovery every day, and can quickly help you determine if the debt is statute barred, in which case you won't have to pay anything.

If you do owe the money then we can also give you a FREE financial assessment, which you can then send to CapQuest.

This will make sure that if you do owe them money you only enter an agreement to repay on YOUR TERMS, at a rate you CAN AFFORD, rather than the one they may suggest.

Even if you have already entered an agreement with them, we may still be able to help you if you are struggling with the current payments.

Stop the letters & calls
    Fed up of constant letters and calls! Do you even owe them? FREE check to stop the calls & collection action NOW.

Does HMRC use Capquest?
    HMRC do not currently use Capquest Debt Recovery as of 2023. So if you are contacted by Capquest about money that is claimed you owe to HMRC, you should speak to HMRC about this straight away.

What can CapQuest Debt Recovery do?
    Debt collectors like Capquest must follow the strict debt collection guidance that are laid down by the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority)

The FCAs debt collection rules and guidance sets out minimum standards that all authorised companies involved in debt recovery and debt collection must adhere to in order to be considered fit to operate as a debt collector.

Therefore, under the rules laid down by the FCA, Capquest can not claim unfair or excessive collection charges, they can not harrass you, they can't threaten to seize your property (when lawfully they cannot), they can not bypass an appointed representative and contact you directly. The FCA also bans debt collectors from threatening legal action when it is unlikely to take place.

If you're one of the many people being sent constant letters, text messages and not answering your phone without looking at "whocallssme.com" in order to avoid the many (and we mean MANY) phone calls by Capquest. Or if you have received a letter about a debt you don't recognise or think you've paid off, or if you are struggling to repay CapQuest debt, fill in our simple form and we’ll call you back to see if we can help.

You can also read our "11 steps to deal with debt collectors". This guide explains exactly what they can do and how to dispute a debt and how to handle their calls and letters.

Numbers Capquest call from:

CapQuest Debt Recovery Contact Details:
    Company Name: Capquest Debt Recovery Limited
    Other Names: Capquest Group, Arrow Global Group
    Address:
    Capella Building
    60 York St
    Glasgow
    G2 8JX
    Phone: 0333 999 7200
    Fax: 0333 999 7299
    Email: customers@capquest.co.uk

I've conducted debt sales to Capquest in the past - I bet you they don't have the original docs

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    I've conducted debt sales to Capquest in the past - I bet you they don't have the original docs
    Slightly off topic

I used to own a Mercedes around 10 years ago and was contacted by a company on a no win no fee basis to claim on emissions.

After about 6 months and 1 letter from them I decided not to pursue the matter. ( it was a right pain trying to find all the information they wanted )

Beware as they have now sent two letters asking for costs towards the one letter they sent which Ive ignored - they are not free at all.