+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: No new contract talks for Bulut yet

No new contract talks for Bulut yet

Cardiff City manager Erol Bulut says he would like to sign a new contract but has not yet started talks with the club about extending his stay.

Bulut signed a one-year deal when he was appointed in June 2023.

The former Fenerbahce boss has overseen a marked improvement this season, turning the Bluebirds from relegation candidates into play-off contenders.

"I cannot make any plans for the new season. My plans can only be until the end of the season," said Bulut.

"For future, I cannot make plans. It's difficult to speak when I don't know for the future if I'm here or not.

"I said I'm happy here. I think the fans know that because we've had many meetings together.

"I'd like to continue to make changes here, work together. We can make many changes, add many things to the club. It's not easy to change everything from today to tomorrow but we've changed many things from the start of the season until today.

"We can see also that's not enough for me. We have to continue to work, we have to invest to bring in quality players and bring young players through the academy to make a really good structure. For that to work, we need a plan. To make a plan work, we need to work together.

"My contract ends at the end of the season. We've not had any talks yet. It's not up to me."

Cardiff spent the past two seasons battling against relegation from the Championship but they have been rejuvenated under Bulut.

After 26 league games since the former Turkey Under-21 international's arrival, the Bluebirds are ninth in the table and three points adrift of the play-off places.

Asked if he would like Bulut to stay beyond the end of this season, Cardiff and Wales midfielder Rubin Colwill, said: "Definitely. It's been a nice change to have that consistency and no chopping and changing.

"You look at the season we're having so far compared to what it's been like before, everyone can see the change in the fight and the spirit in the team.

"That's something we'll need to carry on going forward, that fight and spirit and desire, and there's no reason why we can't continue like that if he stays in charge."

Re: No new contract talks for Bulut yet

He's done enough for me to be backed for the next 2 transfer windows. Review his progress towards the end of the year with a squad he has built. So tired of changing managers all the time.

We are fortunate to have someone of his calibre.....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We are fortunate to have someone of his calibre.....
    He's not as Dum Dum as many of our previous managers

I thought I read we had an option for another year, guess not.

I like Bulut, seems a genuine manager unlike the likes of Morison and Hudson who tried. I guess the sticky patch has raised concerns no harm in holding off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    He's not as Dum Dum as many of our previous managers
    It’s the time to take his pen
    And feel obliged to start again
    Last edited by KingOfSiamIAm; 12-01-24 at 08:21. Reason: Typo

International

Sign him up, solid Manager with rapid improvement and he is a Greek/Turk scout who also brought in two decent signings so far when we were on a transfer ban, with hopefully a few more to follow!

There are some minor concerns :
    we seem to be targeting a lot of 30+ players, which as we have seen before ultimately does not end up in good place
    Sometimes we seem to substitute off the only players that are playing well

However, I would definitely give him another year at least, mostly because I don't have any confidence that the club would bring in someone better if we did replace the manager

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    we seem to be targeting a lot of 30+ players, which as we have seen before ultimately does not end up in good place

However, I would definitely give him another year at least, mostly because I don't have any confidence that the club would bring in someone better if we did replace the manager
    I think that sums up my feeling towards him as well.

However, I'd only extend his contract at the end of the season. Have a written promise of a contract extension if we finish top half, but let him complete the season with no fear of the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

However, I'd only extend his contract at the end of the season. Have a written promise of a contract extension if we finish top half, but let him complete the season with no fear of the boot.
    I liked the rolling 12 month contract we gave DJ - gives the manager some job security and the incentive to build something and means it isn't too expensive if we decide to change manager

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

That sounds like a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

It's unlikely he's specifically targeting that age group though and given he is currently only here to the summer it's understandable if he wasn't too invested into a longer term project.

I think one of our biggest problems is we stumble from manage to manager not really allowing them time to bring through players they may want to or could develop.

There will be blips and poor form but we have to invest and trust in someone for longer than a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    It's unlikely he's specifically targeting that age group though and given he is currently only here to the summer it's understandable if he wasn't too invested into a longer term project.

I think one of our biggest problems is we stumble from manage to manager not really allowing them time to bring through players they may want to or could develop.

There will be blips and poor form but we have to invest and trust in someone for longer than a season.
    Totally agree and the we you use around trust includes us fans as well as the leadership which hasn't been out strong point in the past in terms of giving managers time