+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sunderland v City 1979.

Sunderland v City 1979.

Saw recent post about Sunderland's visit to Ninian Park and the number of fans who practically took over 3 sides. Well here's a game a few years later at Roker Park, again fate has made it the penultimate game of the season, I think during Richie Morgan's 1st season when City turned things around dramatically. watch City outplay their table topping opponents, hitting post twice before scoring, then saving a penalty. An allround aggresive performance which costs Sunderland promotion..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty5pdhoxyXM

Re: Sunderland v City 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Saw recent post about Sunderland's visit to Ninian Park and the number of fans who practically took over 3 sides. Well here's a game a few years later at Roker Park, again fate has made it the penultimate game of the season, I think during Richie Morgan's 1st season when City turned things around dramatically. watch City outplay their table topping opponents, hitting post twice before scoring, then saving a penalty. An allround aggresive performance which costs Sunderland promotion..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty5pdhoxyXM
    Sunderland brought a lot and filled the newer Grange end

8000 ?

They didn't have any other official sections though ?

Great Find that

great save by Healy but was never a pen in the first place !

I was at Sophia Gardens. Plenty following this game on the radio and great rejoicing on the final whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I was at Sophia Gardens. Plenty following this game on the radio and great rejoicing on the final whistle.
    I was watching Glamorgan as well, can't remember who they were playing, but they won under the leadership of new captain Robin Hobbs - Geoff Holmes wouldn't have been pleased as he was a big Sunderland fan.

I like the way Kenneth Wolstenhome realises that we were not just there to roll over and let Sunderland take the two points. Ronnie Moore looked quite quick there - he put his lack of goals for us down to the fact we didn't play with wingers, my recollection is that he spent a lot of time running the channels out wide as it was very much a case of Basil Fawlty Stevens playing through the middle.