+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another thing I didn’t get about yesterday.

Another thing I didn’t get about yesterday.

Why were virtually all of our corners outswingers? Always strikes me as harder to score from them.

Re: Another thing I didn’t get about yesterday.

They didn't make sense .

But what did yesterday 🤔.

They were a class above we are running on empty .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Why were virtually all of our corners outswingers? Always strikes me as harder to score from them.
    Someone has bound to have done an analysis on this, perhaps I'll have a look after the snooker.

I've thought that inswingers are marginally easier to score from. Sometimes the merest touch is needed, sometimes they even lead to own goals.

Outswingers just about take the goalkeeper out of the equation. They can easily catch a bad inswinger but with the ball curving away from them, they can't do much with the outswinger. Outswingers naturally swing towards onrushing attackers, like Ashley Williams' leveller against Belgium, so they can be useful as well.

There's probably not that much in it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, it's a good read.

Thinking back, we were never really bothered about inswinging, outswinging etc when we had someone of Whitts' calibre taking corners, though I was surprised to calculate that we were more successful with set pieces under Warnock than we were when Whitts was taking them in the few seasons before.

I wonder if the same applies with free kicks that are out wide but not as far forward as the penalty area? Left footer on the right to swing it towards the goal (or vice versa) or left footer on the left bending an outswinger?

Makes sense to mix it up so the opposition doesn't get too used to defending what you do every time.
    The same goes for all attacking - sometimes a patient build-up, sometimes go long, sometimes go down the middle, sometimes go wide.
    Keep them guessing.

It seemed to me that Wintle was the designated corner taker regardless of which side the corner was being taken from. Also, Ralls coming short as an option to put the ball in from a different angle.
    I'd prefer Wintle from the left and Ralls from the right to always make it an in-swinger.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    It seemed to me that Wintle was the designated corner taker regardless of which side the corner was being taken from. Also, Ralls coming short as an option to put the ball in from a different angle.
    I'd prefer Wintle from the left and Ralls from the right to always make it an in-swinger.
    Wintle should never, ever, be allowed to take another corner. Ever.

I think most of the stats point towards short corners being the most effective but I can hear the groans from here whenever we do that. Ralls can put a good corner in but wintle should be nowhere near them

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I can only assume that he has been outstanding on the training pitch!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I can only assume that he has been
    outstanding on the training pitch!
    Wintle played 26 1 goal and 1 booking
    The stats are he offers nothing going forward and he offers nothing defensively.
    Should never be in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Wintle played 26 1 goal and 1 booking
    The stats are he offers nothing going forward and he offers nothing defensively.
    Should never be in the team.
    Doesn’t he have any assists?

To be fair we have been pretty decent at set pieces.

As soon as Ralls goes off, corners are pretty much a non-factor.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Doesn’t he have any assists?

To be fair we have been pretty decent at set pieces.
    4 assists, including the corner for Ng's winner in our previous league game. Also; the corner for McGuinness's winner at Sunderland, the cross for Ugbo's winner at Preston and the cross for Grant's goal against Coventry.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    4 assists, including the corner for Ng's winner in our previous league game. Also; the corner for McGuinness's winner at Sunderland, the cross for Ugbo's winner at Preston and the cross for Grant's goal against Coventry.
    Yeah I thought it was him for Ugbo v Preston.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    As soon as Ralls goes off, corners are pretty much a non-factor.
    as soon as Ralls goes off we stop turning defense into attack and just resort to hoofball

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    as soon as Ralls goes off we stop turning defense into attack and just resort to hoofball
    Agree

International

Nice corner and goal from Spurs yesterday just glanced in, looked so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Who the devil are you?
    How dare you troll one of our best, if short-lived posters accounts!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Nice corner and goal from Spurs yesterday just glanced in, looked so easy.
    Think that's possibly because they'd done their homework on Onana and knew he sometimes stays on his line.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Yeah I thought it was him for Ugbo v Preston.
    Oddly enough, Wintle's five assists from open play for us have been virtually identical. Second half crosses from a similar position headed in by Watters, Kaba(2), Grant and Ugbo. Him and Ng looked to be making an effort to get into that area to get crosses in but sides seem to be covering that flank more now late on since Tanner's heroics earlier in the season.

A free kick and two corners make up Wintle's assists here, headed in by O'Dowda, McGuinness and Ng. 8 assists in 94 league appearances for us don't exactly make him de Bruyne, of course, (although it compares favourably with Colwill's 2 in 80 with Colwill 6-3 up in goals) and he's not having the best of seasons but I don't see him as the waste of space that a couple on here are suggesting.