+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Archibald Leitch

O/T Archibald Leitch

Re: O/T Archibald Leitch

Looks interesting. I'll definitely give that a look.

And here was I thinking Cary Grant?

I used to really enjoy a bit of Xcom on the Playstation!

International

He designed the stadia for Aston villa and all the ones that look like it. mostly red brick I think. There used to be a poster on here who used the name.

Great poster on here back in the day.

Not the real Mr. Leitch obviously but the political "discussions" between him and Feedback were legendary. So much better than the current WUM's and the "gifted and talented" conspiracy fruitloops we have today.

Does he still post under a different pseudonym?

I'd love it if the CCS was finished in brick.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Removing the cladding and having the framework left open would go a decent way to improving the look of the stadium. Even when it’s been cleaned (which hasn’t been done in a long while looking at it currently) the plastic colours just look cheap.

I love American stadia for that very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    I love American stadia for that very reason.
    There's been a conscious movement over the last 30 years to make baseball parks "old school" starting with Camden Yards in Baltimore. Pretty much complete now. The oldest park is Fenway Park, Boston opened in 1912, the second is Wrigley Field in Chicago opened in 1914 the third is Dodgers Stadium in Los Angeles built in 1962. A mid-century classic. I've been to Camden Yards, Fenway and Wrigley. Hoping to go to Dodgers Stadium this year.

Leitch stands often used to have x shaped frontings to them facing the pitch. Thinking back, I’ve sat in Leitch stands at Villa, Highbury, Portsmouth and, possibly, Everton (not sure if that one was Leitch designed). There may be others, because, at one time, there were lots of them around - barely any about now I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foggon View Post
    And here was I thinking Cary Grant?
    Me too

The main frontage of Villa Park is a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Leitch stands often used to have x shaped frontings to them facing the pitch. Thinking back, I’ve sat in Leitch stands at Villa, Highbury, Portsmouth and, possibly, Everton (not sure if that one was Leitch designed). There may be others, because, at one time, there were lots of them around - barely any about now I would have thought.
    Everton’s is , I think most stands with the X Faced fronting is a signature of Leitch.

The two stands at Roker Park were both magnificent, as is the one at Ibrox which they have kept.

I would have though any remaining Leitch designs are listed.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Everton’s is , I think most stands with the X Faced fronting is a signature of Leitch.

The two stands at Roker Park were both magnificent, as is the one at Ibrox which they have kept.

Just looked it up and there are still Leitch stands at Goodison (two of them), the main stand at Craven Cottage and the stand at Ibrox still in use and you’re right about them being listed buildings, there’s also one at Hearts which I don’t think is used any more.

I can remember Villa being a trend setting club in 1969/70, they were the first team to wear the shirts with a rugby type collar that became very popular in the early 70s, I’m pretty sure they also put claret and blue plastic covers over the x facings - something they paid for because they were relegated to the Third Division that season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just looked it up and there are still Leitch stands at Goodison (two of them), the main stand at Craven Cottage and the stand at Ibrox still in use and you’re right about them being listed buildings, there’s also one at Hearts which I don’t think is used any more.

I can remember Villa being a trend setting club in 1969/70, they were the first team to wear the shirts with a rugby type collar that became very popular in the early 70s, I’m pretty sure they also put claret and blue plastic covers over the x facings - something they paid for because they were relegated to the Third Division that season.
    Sunderland added this to the Stadium of Light a few years ago

sunderland.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

Would that mean the stands at Goodison would have to be incorporated into any new development after Everton move?

There's been a conscious movement over the last 30 years to make baseball parks "old school" starting with Camden Yards in Baltimore. Pretty much complete now. The oldest park is Fenway Park, Boston opened in 1912, the second is Wrigley Field in Chicago opened in 1914 the third is Dodgers Stadium in Los Angeles built in 1962. A mid-century classic. I've been to Camden Yards, Fenway and Wrigley. Hoping to go to Dodgers Stadium this year.
    I went to St Louis in the summer and really liked the baseball stadium, built in 2006 but really captures the old school baseball stadium feel. football clubs could learn a lot from that approach. it felt like you were going somewhere with a lot of history when it's less than 20 years old.

the football (soccer) stadium was also great to be fair, although ultra modern, not a typical boring bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Would that mean the stands at Goodison would have to be incorporated into any new development after Everton move?
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...eitch-19933688

two oldest stands at the football ground and probably contain the majority of existing problems that we have at Goodison Park, mainly due to its age.

"The structural elements that you refer to, particularly the truss that runs across the top of the Bullens Road, we are looking to try and salvage some of them heritage architectural assets and maybe even incorporate them into the design at the new Bramley-Moore stadium.

"But with regards to incorporating existing facilities within Bullens Road and Gwladys Street I think it would probably be, I suppose, inappropriate“
    https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/23-...ory/43750.html