+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Collapse of 2009

The Great Collapse of 2009

Chatting with my 10 year old earlier about Ninian Park and I recalled a game late on in the 2008/09 season where we lost 3-0 at home to Sheffield Utd, where we had two players sent off. Neither were correct decisions and they changed the course of the match.

I couldn't remember the exact details of how that season capitulated, so I thought I'd have a look.

In mid April, most of the division had 3 games to go. We had a game in hand on everyone in the top half, bar Reading. Wolves had virtually sewn up promotion.

The league table, prior to a trip to Preston, was

1. Wolves Pts 83 GD +26
    2. Birmingham City Pts 77 GD +16
    3. Sheff Utd Pts 76 GD +25
    4. Cardiff City Pts 73 GD +22
    8. Preston Pts 65 GD +4

We had only lost 7 games all season to this point (traditionally 3 of those were in November), the lowest in the division. Our away form was mediocre but we had the best home record in the division at this point. Perhaps it was unfortunate that 3 of our last 4 were away games, but automatic promotion was a genuine possibility. 2 points would have guaranteed the playoffs.

Sat 18 Apr 2009 - Preston NE 6-0 Cardiff City

The defeat, coupled with a win for Birmingham, virtually ended City's automatic promotion chances.

2. Birmingham City Pts 80 GD +17
    4. Cardiff City Pts 73 GD +16
    8. Preston Pts 68 GD +10

Tue 21 Apr 2009 - Charlton 2-2 Cardiff City

Charlton had already been relegated but managed to get a 2 goal lead, before 2 late goals saved City's blushes. The draw meant we were 6 points off automatic with 2 games to go but were 6 points clear of the playoffs as well. Surely home advantage from the side with the best home record in the division in the last league game ever to be played at Ninian Park would at least ensure the playoffs.

Sat 25 Apr 2009 - Cardiff City 0-3 Ipswich Town

That wasn't in the script. I left just before the end to attend my mother's 60th birthday party that evening, so missed the fireworks that were let off after the game. Still, there'll still be a playoff to look forward to, surely? Birmingham lost, so had we won we were still in with an outside chance of automatic promotion. Swansea's defeat meant they slipped out of playoff contention.

5. Cardiff City Pts 74 GD +13
    7. Preston Pts 71 GD +11

Sun 3 May 2009. A point is required for the playoffs. I got married the day before, arranged for the day before so lots of us wouldn't be missing a Cardiff game. I had a gut feeling we'd blow it, as did Mrs HaB and her City supporting family. Preston entertained QPR.

Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Cardiff City

Trying to hold on for a point, Jermaine Johnson scores midway in the second half. We didn't create much afterwards. Preston scored a few minutes later to lead QPR 2-1. That was it. The playoff dream was over.

6. Preston 74 GD +12 F-A 66-54
    7. Cardiff City Pts 74 GD +12 F-A 65-53

In the end, we missed out on goals scored. We could have lost 3-2 and made the playoffs. For the only time that season we failed to score in 3 out of 4 league games. After 42 games we had conceded less than a goal a game. We conceded 12 goals in the last 4. It was an extraordinary collapse, and one that nobody would have predicted, especially after we'd just won 3 in a row, including a great 3-1 win over Burnley on Easter Monday to end their automatic dream and keep alive ours.

Most of it seems like yesterday. It's now 15 seasons ago, yet I can't remember much about Slade's time with us, or much since Warnock.

Re: The Great Collapse of 2009

It was an extraordinary collapse, esp given the healthy goal difference we had, which as you say was 18 (!) better than Preston with a few games to go.

The saddest thing perhaps was the limp ending it gave to Ninian Park. We all assumed we would at least get a point at home to Ipswich and see another game there. Not to be.

I remember the last game well. I suspect I wasn't alone, in that I was at Cardiff Blues v Leicester in the Millennium Stadium, which itself was a remarkable game. I think only 1-2 mates had an internet phone then and I vividly remember Wednesday going 1-0 up. Very upsetting and at that point we had no idea premiership football would come a couple of years later

I went to the Preston game, and then to the Charlton game. Left when we were 2-0 down as was driving back to Cardiff from London that night. Got back to the car to hear we’d got it back to 2-2 - gutted to miss both goals!

Gabor’s rugby tackle. Q.E.D.

That Burnley game was incredible. There’s a video somewhere on YouTube - the sight of the bob bank going bonkers for one of Mccormacks goals that day is amazing.

And Watford a little earlier in the season, where we had a late pen to win it, under the lights…

Two of my very favourite NP memories.

It’s a real shame we never got promoted with one of those Dave Jones teams. The two times we have been promoted to the Prem those squads are far less memorable to me which says a lot.

Sheffield Weds away. That was one of the most depressing trips home I’ve ever been a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    That Burnley game was incredible. There’s a video somewhere on YouTube - the sight of the bob bank going bonkers for one of Mccormacks goals that day is amazing.

And Watford a little earlier in the season, where we had a late pen to win it, under the lights…

It’s a real shame we never got promoted with one of those Dave Jones teams. The two times we have been promoted to the Prem those squads are far less memorable to me which says a lot.
    https://youtu.be/i7ruUsn_O5o?si=216XrhL7rQAylRJ5

Here’s the video.
    Check out the Bob Bank for the two late Ross goals.

Beautiful.

Here’s the video.

Beautiful.
    I was working that day. Had a secreted earpiece to listen to the game. Don't think I've seen those goals before. We were quite direct and the response after Gyepes assist was incredible. 5 players, 7 touches of the ball and in the net. I've timed it at 9.5 seconds from the restart. Warnock would have been proud!

On April 8th 2009, City were leading Derby Co 4-0 at home. In the 90th minute of that game Eddie Johnson scored an own goal. That goal consigned City to 7th position. A 4-0 victory would have meant a 6th place finish. Perhaps I'm a little harsh on Johnson for any goal conceded by City that season, had it not gone in, and we'd have been in the play-offs.

https://www.soccerbase.com/tournamen...d?tourn_id=142

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    On April 8th 2009, City were leading Derby Co 4-0 at home. In the 90th minute of that game Eddie Johnson scored an own goal. That goal consigned City to 7th position. A 4-0 victory would have meant a 6th place finish. Perhaps I'm a little harsh on Johnson for any goal conceded by City that season, had it not gone in, and we'd have been in the play-offs.

https://www.soccerbase.com/tournamen...d?tourn_id=142

StT.
    <><
    Not sure you can blame a goal scored with 6 games remaining as the reason for us missing out. There are plenty of other goals that also qualify.

The way that season ended was such a let down and, although not quite as extreme, it has a similar sort of “what if” type feel for me as the Blackpool PO game in its way.

Thanks for the recap Eric, don’t think I appreciated quite how good our home record was or how few we’d lost up to that point. 15 years ago though, blimey… 😳

I was in a hotel room when the Preston game was played and had the TV on for the scores. Couldn't believe what happened as the goals kept coming and we missed a penalty I believe.

For the Sheff Wed game we were in our friend's caravan in Padstow and when the score came through I worked out our final position and realised we had blown it. Ruined my weekend.

Here’s the video.

Beautiful.
    I was in the Grange End with my brother, dad, and my ex girlfriend who was over with me from Denmark. Her first taste of a real football match, the surge on the Grange terrace when Ross McCormack scored the 3rd scared the shit out of her. Personally it's one my favourite memories of any goal. That atmosphere was amazing. Also incredible to think how we bottled it after that.
    That would have been the proper fitting way to leave Ninian Park.

Re: The Great Collapse of 20t

The Preston match was extraordinary coming after such a positive afternoon against Burnley. That one game destroyed us, but the moment I knew we weren’t reaching the Play Offs was a few hours after our embarrassment of a final game at Ninian Park against IpswIch when Preston scored in the last minute of the Sky Saturday evening live match to win 2-1 at Birmingham- we were in the Play Offs until that goal, but it all felt inevitable we’d “do a Cardiff” after that to me. Our humiliation was complete when then Celtic boss Neil Lennon talkies about making sure his team didn’t do a Cardiff as they closed in on the Scottish Premier League title.

That defeat to Sheff utd was my sons first and only game at NP. He was quiet young and wanted him to go to at least 1 game there before we moved.
    It was an amazing collapse and I still wonder what might have been, even if we'd got a single goal and lost 6-1 at Preston and not 6-0.

Did we win 4-2 that time?

I’m sure I was there and remember how nuts the grange was

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Did we win 4-2 that time?

I’m sure I was there and remember how nuts the grange was
    No, we won 3-1, it was 0-0 after 75 minutes!

Chatting with my 10 year old earlier about Ninian Park and I recalled a game late on in the 2008/09 season where we lost 3-0 at home to Sheffield Utd, where we had two players sent off. Neither were correct decisions and they changed the course of the match.

I believe Man City’s Kyle Walker was involved in one sending off, right in front of the dugout.
    Went down like a sack of shit, claiming Scott had whacked him in the head.

The other sending off, also involved another Kyle, the other full back (can’t remember his surname)

Two terrible decisions

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

I believe Man City’s Kyle Walker was involved in one sending off, right in front of the dugout.
    Went down like a sack of shit, claiming Scott had whacked him in the head.

The other sending off, also involved another Kyle, the other full back (can’t remember his surname)

Two terrible decisions
    The other Kyle was Kyle Naughton who I believe is still with the jacks. I thought it was him who got McCormack sent off. That was a shocking decision because it was sheer play acting on Naughton's part, but my recollection is that Gyepes could have few complaints about his dismissal - think it was for a foul on David Cotterill.

Just checked, turns out it was Darius Henderson who go fouled by Gyepes and Cotterill scored from the resultant penalty. Also, Kevin Blackwell, who was Sheffield United manager at the time said he had no idea what McCormack was sent off for.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot..._1/7937241.stm

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not sure you can blame a goal scored with 6 games remaining as the reason for us missing out. There are plenty of other goals that also qualify.
    I don't think I was blaming Johnson for City finishing 7th not 6th. In fact I wrote: "Perhaps I'm a little harsh on Johnson for ANY GOAL conceded by City that season, had it not gone in, and we'd have been in the play-offs." Rather, on the one hand, I was seeking to draw attention to the hero-status Johnson is afforded in some quarters and secondly how close we were to a Play-Off place.

StT.
    <><

Crazy that a team managed by Jones didn’t get promoted as they were more talented and dare I say it better equipped to play in Premier League than the later promoted teams ! But I guess that was the reason why we had these talented players , there was a flaw to their game that lacked the discipline, mental strength and determination to grind out games when needed or maybe it was just plain bad luck

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    I don't think I was blaming Johnson for City finishing 7th not 6th. In fact I wrote: "Perhaps I'm a little harsh on Johnson for ANY GOAL conceded by City that season, had it not gone in, and we'd have been in the play-offs." Rather, on the one hand, I was seeking to draw attention to the hero-status Johnson is afforded in some quarters and secondly how close we were to a Play-Off place.

StT.
    <><
    Ok, just when I read "In the 90th minute of that game Eddie Johnson scored an own goal. That goal consigned City to 7th position", it rather sounds like you were.

We needed a Premier League promotion when we were at Ninian Park, as poor as the atmosphere was in the 2000/3000 crowd days, the atmosphere in the Premier League would have been Scott Young/Leeds winning goal like. The sheer ramshackleness of the place may have been worth a few extra home points as well.

15 years, where has that gone.

I remember the disappointment though only would have been able to have named the Preston and Ipswich matches.

Preston because of the incredible goal swing and Ipswich, the limp and pathetic goodbye to NP on and off the pitch. Think there may have been a few sad balloons at the end.

I definitely was far more emotionally involved back then. After that season I was convinced I'd never see us in the PL, felt we were destined to always fall short.

Perhaps just used to the defeats now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    15 years, where has that gone.

I remember the disappointment though only would have been able to have named the Preston and Ipswich matches.

Preston because of the incredible goal swing and Ipswich, the limp and pathetic goodbye to NP on and off the pitch. Think there may have been a few sad balloons at the end.

I definitely was far more emotionally involved back then. After that season I was convinced I'd never see us in the PL, felt we were destined to always fall short.

Perhaps just used to the defeats now.
    Me too. I remember at the end of that game in Sheffield seeing some guy in a Captain Marvel - or similar - outfit in floods of tears. (No - it wasn't me! ). It sort of summed up that season for me.