Chatting with my 10 year old earlier about Ninian Park and I recalled a game late on in the 2008/09 season where we lost 3-0 at home to Sheffield Utd, where we had two players sent off. Neither were correct decisions and they changed the course of the match.

I couldn't remember the exact details of how that season capitulated, so I thought I'd have a look.

In mid April, most of the division had 3 games to go. We had a game in hand on everyone in the top half, bar Reading. Wolves had virtually sewn up promotion.

The league table, prior to a trip to Preston, was

1. Wolves Pts 83 GD +26
2. Birmingham City Pts 77 GD +16
3. Sheff Utd Pts 76 GD +25
4. Cardiff City Pts 73 GD +22
8. Preston Pts 65 GD +4

We had only lost 7 games all season to this point (traditionally 3 of those were in November), the lowest in the division. Our away form was mediocre but we had the best home record in the division at this point. Perhaps it was unfortunate that 3 of our last 4 were away games, but automatic promotion was a genuine possibility. 2 points would have guaranteed the playoffs.

Sat 18 Apr 2009 - Preston NE 6-0 Cardiff City

The defeat, coupled with a win for Birmingham, virtually ended City's automatic promotion chances.

2. Birmingham City Pts 80 GD +17
4. Cardiff City Pts 73 GD +16
8. Preston Pts 68 GD +10

Tue 21 Apr 2009 - Charlton 2-2 Cardiff City

Charlton had already been relegated but managed to get a 2 goal lead, before 2 late goals saved City's blushes. The draw meant we were 6 points off automatic with 2 games to go but were 6 points clear of the playoffs as well. Surely home advantage from the side with the best home record in the division in the last league game ever to be played at Ninian Park would at least ensure the playoffs.

Sat 25 Apr 2009 - Cardiff City 0-3 Ipswich Town

That wasn't in the script. I left just before the end to attend my mother's 60th birthday party that evening, so missed the fireworks that were let off after the game. Still, there'll still be a playoff to look forward to, surely? Birmingham lost, so had we won we were still in with an outside chance of automatic promotion. Swansea's defeat meant they slipped out of playoff contention.

5. Cardiff City Pts 74 GD +13
7. Preston Pts 71 GD +11

Sun 3 May 2009. A point is required for the playoffs. I got married the day before, arranged for the day before so lots of us wouldn't be missing a Cardiff game. I had a gut feeling we'd blow it, as did Mrs HaB and her City supporting family. Preston entertained QPR.

Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Cardiff City

Trying to hold on for a point, Jermaine Johnson scores midway in the second half. We didn't create much afterwards. Preston scored a few minutes later to lead QPR 2-1. That was it. The playoff dream was over.

6. Preston 74 GD +12 F-A 66-54
7. Cardiff City Pts 74 GD +12 F-A 65-53

In the end, we missed out on goals scored. We could have lost 3-2 and made the playoffs. For the only time that season we failed to score in 3 out of 4 league games. After 42 games we had conceded less than a goal a game. We conceded 12 goals in the last 4. It was an extraordinary collapse, and one that nobody would have predicted, especially after we'd just won 3 in a row, including a great 3-1 win over Burnley on Easter Monday to end their automatic dream and keep alive ours.

Most of it seems like yesterday. It's now 15 seasons ago, yet I can't remember much about Slade's time with us, or much since Warnock.