+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought we were on the road to recovery?

I thought we were on the road to recovery?

As someone who always believed Sunak would achieve his target of halving inflation because it was going to happen anyway once the rises in energy prices following the Russian invasion of Ukraine had worked their way out of the cycle. I'd be a hypocrite if I now started blaming his Government for the fact that it has now risen again to 4.0. However, having heard over the past month or two that the rapid fall in inflation late last year was down to Sunak's Government, shouldn't it follow that they should be held responsible when it rises again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-67998084

Re: I thought we were on the road to recovery?

I doubt the government will say anything about it today as they've got enough going on elsewhere.
    If it does get mentioned, they'll undoubtedly say that inflation has still halved, despite the small rise.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I doubt the government will say anything about it today as they've got enough going on elsewhere.
    If it does get mentioned, they'll undoubtedly say that inflation has still halved, despite the small rise.
    Hut's already said that inflation rarely falls in a straight line and that their plan is working

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Hut's already said that inflation rarely falls in a straight line and that their plan is working
    Sounds like football manager speak saying the team stuck to his plan, despite the 5-0 defeat 🙂

Did you listen to the whole interview ? and the bbc's economic correspondent view on it - re core inflation, alcohol / fags taken out of the equation etc

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Did you listen to the whole interview ? and the bbc's economic correspondent view on it - re core inflation, alcohol / fags taken out of the equation etc
    No I didn’t. I see tobacco has been identified as a driver behind the inflation rate rise, didn’t Hunt raise taxes on that in his recent Autumn statement?

When inflation generally went from around 2% to around 10% it took about 18 months or so, and as can be clearly seen below, it didn't go up in a uniform fashion, it went up in a trend. There were at least three occasions when inflation fell whilst the general picture was of it rising.

Now inflation is falling from around 10% to (hopefully) around 2% and in the same way, it won't be uniform. Sometimes it will rise slightly along the way.

The risk is that it has bottomed out at a high level of around 4%. Hopefully that isn't the case, but will take more than one months data to prove that and Bob knows that too

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-.../inflation-cpi

No I didn’t. I see tobacco has been identified as a driver behind the inflation rate rise, didn’t Hunt raise taxes on that in his recent Autumn statement?
    I believe he did - and rightly so in my opinion - other opinions may vary

Bunch of chancers and the usual saps dsating yeah but no but yeah to defend them

Its pathetic

Hopefully they will get stamped into the dirt very soon at the next election

Talking of dirt braverman is on the news again

I sincerely hope she's cast to the wilderness ASAP

Sludge when inflation falls 6.5% in ten months:

Sludge when inflation rises 0.1% in a month:

"BUNCH OF CHANCES! SAPS! PATHETIC! STAMP THEM INTO THE DIRT! BRAVERMAN IS DIRT! CAST HER INTO THE WILDERNESS!"

Doesn't sound like someone who is genuinely glad to see inflation generally falling for the benefit of peoples wallets to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    When inflation generally went from around 2% to around 10% it took about 18 months or so, and as can be clearly seen below, it didn't go up in a uniform fashion, it went up in a trend. There were at least three occasions when inflation fell whilst the general picture was of it rising.

Now inflation is falling from around 10% to (hopefully) around 2% and in the same way, it won't be uniform. Sometimes it will rise slightly along the way.

The risk is that it has bottomed out at a high level of around 4%. Hopefully that isn't the case, but will take more than one months data to prove that and Bob knows that too

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-.../inflation-cpi
    He also knows it was naff all to do with Sunak. So does Sunak.

"BUNCH OF CHANCES! SAPS! PATHETIC! STAMP THEM INTO THE DIRT! BRAVERMAN IS DIRT! CAST HER INTO THE WILDERNESS!"

Doesn't sound like someone who is genuinely glad to see inflation generally falling for the benefit of peoples wallets to me.
    You are one of the idiots , right on cue

Have another few months off, its not going to rid us of your nauseating pro tory creeping but at least we can have a break from it

You pretend to be nuanced but it's all nonsense

I will pay for you to go on holiday again if you like , it will be money we'll spent

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    He also knows it was naff all to do with Sunak. So does Sunak.
    Exactly, the bit where I say I don’t blame the Government for a 0.1 rise in inflation gets ignored. It is true though that Sunak has been claiming the credit for more than halving inflation, so we’re responsible when inflation goes down, but it’s European or world factors to blame when it goes up - Labour Governments have claimed the same in the past - I’m willing to admit that, the resident Tories on here seem unable to do the same when the boots on the other foot.

Exactly, the bit where I say I don’t blame the Government for a 0.1 rise in inflation gets ignored. It is true though that Sunak has been claiming the credit for more than halving inflation, so we’re responsible when inflation goes down, but it’s European or world factors to blame when it goes up - Labour Governments have claimed the same in the past - I’m willing to admit that, the resident Tories on here seem unable to do the same when the boots on the other foot.
    If a Govt spends too much - it generally will cause inflation to rise in the short - medium term. Think Corbyn and his 300 billion pound spending plan
    If external forces (Ukraine / International shipping issues etc) happen - inflation generally will rise.
    If left to its own devices generally over time (a long time) inflation will come down. But by that time it has impacted in a bad way.

Hence - Govt intervention to slow down inflation - by taking money out of certain market areas to stop over spending.
    It's not rocket science - just a game of cat and mouse measured in monthly cycles - that usually takes a quarter to have an affect. And all Govt's do it on the advice of the BoE

There is no point, everyone knows what he is and what he is like. He likes to be down trodden so he can then blame it on whoever fits his narrative.

Getting inflation so high that it was capable of falling 6.5% in ten months is hardly something to feckin celebrate

Sooner this bunch of corrupt crooks are out the better and despite the opposition also being pretty shambolic they have to be an improvement on the current circus

Don't you know? The Rwanda plan is the urgent national priority! - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-68001957

Does anyone outside the Tory party actually support the Rwanda Bill. We'll fly a few immigrants over, in exchange for some Rwandans, and its costing billions. All to appease the racist voters, the country is in the bin. Oh, and its been driven by children of immigrants. We live in a weird time.

If a Govt spends too much - it generally will cause inflation to rise in the short - medium term. Think Corbyn and his 300 billion pound spending plan
    If external forces (Ukraine / International shipping issues etc) happen - inflation generally will rise.
    If left to its own devices generally over time (a long time) inflation will come down. But by that time it has impacted in a bad way.

Hence - Govt intervention to slow down inflation - by taking money out of certain market areas to stop over spending.
    It's not rocket science - just a game of cat and mouse measured in monthly cycles - that usually takes a quarter to have an affect. And all Govt's do it on the advice of the BoE
    So how come you and people like you don't accept that when applied to 2008?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You are one of the idiots , right on cue

Have another few months off, its not going to rid us of your nauseating pro tory creeping but at least we can have a break from it

You pretend to be nuanced but it's all nonsense

I will pay for you to go on holiday again if you like , it will be money we'll spent
    Just pointing out your hypocrisy! You do seem to get far far more animated by bad news than good news

I am prepared, on a voluntary unpaid basis to fly oily tory boys like James Whales and Pipsqueak to Rwanda but save the country money by dropping them off in the Atlantic ocean

Pipsqueak can moan as much as he wants but I won't hear him in the cockpit as he's going to be locked up in a crate in the luggage hold with an orange in his gob

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am prepared, on a voluntary unpaid basis to fly oily tory boys like James Whales and Pipsqueak to Rwanda but save the country money by dropping them off in the Atlantic ocean

Pipsqueak can moan as much as he wants but I won't hear him in the cockpit as he's going to be locked up in a crate in the luggage hold with an orange in his gob
    No way am I getting into a plane flown by a bloke who has a raging fit at inflation rising 0.1% in a month. You can fly yourself.

😆

So how come you and people like you don't accept that when applied to 2008?
    Because prior to that Gordon Brown had "a loose hand on the tiller" of financial regulations when he was chancellor. So when it happened it was much worse because of his policy (his policy advisers at the time were Ed Milliband and Ed Balls). Brown has admitted this in public since.

Brown had a "light-touch" on the finance industry. The FSA (which he set up i believe) he wanted self regulation rather strict enforcement. He probably did this as Labour was always seen to be interfering and anti business etc - the road to his downfall was paved with good intentions. The crash wasnt all his fault but he laid down the conditions which made the consequences worse -in my opinion.

The bail out / re austerity / quantitive easing was something that Alistair Darling said he would have done something similar.

Also remember Gordon Brown's PFI initiative which made the UK economy look a lot more healthier than it actually was - PFI debt was not included in the accounts. So when brown was announcing 3.5% growth per year, it seemed a miracle, when in fact it was built on sand.

Brown "We set up the FSA believing the problem would come from the failure of an individual institution. That was the big mistake.

"We didn't understand just how entangled things were.""

Because prior to that Gordon Brown had "a loose hand on the tiller" of financial regulations when he was chancellor. So when it happened it was much worse because of his policy (his policy advisers at the time were Ed Milliband and Ed Balls). Brown has admitted this in public since.

Brown had a "light-touch" on the finance industry. The FSA (which he set up i believe) he wanted self regulation rather strict enforcement. He probably did this as Labour was always seen to be interfering and anti business etc - the road to his downfall was paved with good intentions. The crash wasnt all his fault but he laid down the conditions which made the consequences worse -in my opinion.

The bail out / re austerity / quantitive easing was something that Alistair Darling said he would have done something similar.

Also remember Gordon Brown's PFI initiative which made the UK economy look a lot more healthier than it actually was - PFI debt was not included in the accounts. So when brown was announcing 3.5% growth per year, it seemed a miracle, when in fact it was built on sand.

Brown "We set up the FSA believing the problem would come from the failure of an individual institution. That was the big mistake.

"We didn't understand just how entangled things were.""
    Or to put it another way, I’ll excuse the present Government anything and the present opposition nothing.

Or to put it another way, I’ll excuse the present Government anything and the present opposition nothing.

If I wanted to put it that way I would have typed it that way, usual strawman argument from your goodself.
    RTFP

Osbourne and Darling had similar plans post the crash. Leading up to it Brown and his "Loose hand on the tiller" made the outcome worse - he has admitted that himself.

No doubt you'll blame the current German recession on Cameron, Brexit and the conservative party as well....