+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: You gov polling

Re: You gov polling

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The housing crisis ....

Makes me ****ing 😆 when tory voters and the tory government try to bat that one away

Thatcher sold off the council houses

Thatcher abolished the protected rent acts which if in place today would stop landlords pushing up rents and say its what the market will pay

Ff sake you ignorant idiots ....its the tories who pushed the scrapping of fair rents

No long term tenancies these days ......6 months assured shorthold then feck you out you go if we want to get someone else in , up the rent or flog the place for a holiday

Tories looking to blame immigration for the housing crisis load of crap

Loss of council houses , loss of housing to rent more and more expensive to rent due to tory government and failure to build replacements for council houses sold .....another lie from the tories

And a failure to build more houses for the increasing population which is at the core of UK housing policy since 1979

Who has been in power for all but 13 of those years ?

The conservatives

No amount of yeah but no nonsense will save your arses
    Why are all of your arguments at least 40 years out of date?

What's your solution to City upfront today? Carl Dale?

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    While I don't disagree 700,000 people a year coming to the UK is unsustainable it's also true that we are building far less social housing per year than we used to. I think we have 2 million less council houses than we did 20 years ago.

I don't know if the table shown in this article is true or not, if it is its shocking how few are being built now.
    https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/new.../37332881.html

While you may dislike him, Corbyn would have at least tried to build more social housing, the UK voted against him, twice and it was older people who were more likely to vote against him.
    Yeah my issue with Corbyn isn't related to housing. Although I am not sure he would have been able to keep to his promise but still

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    saying that you believe your own prejudices over any data that you may be presented with says more about you than it does about the issue
    Or a lack of faith in institutions to report the truth. As I said, no government, no council would commission any report that concluded immigration had a negative impact on housing. It's just not how there things work, unfortunately. But the evidence is there on the ground for all to see.

And that's not to say immigration is bad. It's about levels and it's about recognising pros and cons and coming to a balanced opinion. But ignoring the impact is 1984 kinda thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Why are all of your arguments at least 40 years out of date?

What's your solution to City upfront today? Carl Dale?
    Why don't you take a break again ?

40 years of so would be great

You would still come back with your yeah but no nonsense as you are a tory bore but at least it would give us a rest from your nauseating crap

You are a tory you will be a tory at the next election even after the last 13 years and until you snuff it

So do us a favour and have another holiday , you last about a week before you start sucking up to them again after you have waltzed off with your tail between your legs

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Why don't you take a break again ?

40 years of so would be great

You would still come back with your yeah but no nonsense as you are a tory bore but at least it would give us a rest from your nauseating crap

You are a tory you will be a tory at the next election even after the last 13 years and until you snuff it

So do us a favour and have another holiday , you last about a week before you start sucking up to them again after you have waltzed off with your tail between your legs
    Just pointing out that it's 2024 and Thatcher was elected getting on for half a century ago. It's unlikely that her policies have zero impact on housing today, but going on about her doesn't mean you can ignore the multitude of issues since.

I'll just leave this here...

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news...20the%20policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jun/29/how-right-to-buy-ruined-british-housing

Whose policy was it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    It's also worth adding this. Scrapped by a Welsh Labour Government. The one that's supposed to be useless according to many on here. Think how much worse it could be. https://www.gov.wales/right-buy-end-wales-month

Just to add, and it is relevant, in Grangetown I've liaised with local community groups regarding Social Housing issues for a few years now, and Vaughn Gething has been amazing regarding his support and getting things done. Stephen Doherty our MP not so much. Never replied to any communications. Welsh Labour is a different party to Starmer's and I can't stand the fact they are connected in any way.

Maybe this will explain my views regarding a GE.

https://nation.cymru/news/welsh-gove...-right-to-buy/

My personal opinion is that allowing working class people to financially benefit from the house they live in is not necessarily a bad thing. The problem is in the lack of new social housing built.

My family history is that both sets of grandparents died in council housing. Nothing was passed onto my parents. My ex partners father bought his council house and when he passed was the first of his family to pass any wealth of note onto his family. I don't view that as a dreadful thing, as wealth is power and when working class people are largely prevented from obtaining it that isn't a great thing.

But I also don't support a declining social housing stock. I think we need to do more of it and I'd happily see this organised at a UK level (GB housing?) to streamline procurement etc. Not sure it would work in practice but I'd be okay with it.

But the big issue is this. The article talks about 96000 homes sold since 2012. All of whom we assume went to people who previously lived in them, so people effectively bought their own homes.

But those 96000 homes. Maybe they house 250,000, all of which are of course still housed and the receipts can be used to build new social housing, even if not enough of it.

In those same years since 2012 net immigration was about 3million. More than 10 times that figure.

We could have not sold a single council house in the UK. We could have built one for everyone one sold. We could have built five for every one sold and it still would only be half the net immigration figure.

The reality is it's all pissing in the wind until demand is kept under greater control. Not just on immigration, but second homes, Airbnb and the rest of it too. It's completely distorting both the housing market and in turn land values more generally. Like your local community pub? Forget that when you can get 35 flats on the same plot of land

This is interesting re. voting and Party Politics: ‘Not bothered about us’: voters in Lee Anderson’s seat reject all parties https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ll-politicians

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    My personal opinion is that allowing working class people to financially benefit from the house they live in is not necessarily a bad thing. The problem is in the lack of new social housing built.

My family history is that both sets of grandparents died in council housing. Nothing was passed onto my parents. My ex partners father bought his council house and when he passed was the first of his family to pass any wealth of note onto his family. I don't view that as a dreadful thing, as wealth is power and when working class people are largely prevented from obtaining it that isn't a great thing.

But I also don't support a declining social housing stock. I think we need to do more of it and I'd happily see this organised at a UK level (GB housing?) to streamline procurement etc. Not sure it would work in practice but I'd be okay with it.

But the big issue is this. The article talks about 96000 homes sold since 2012. All of whom we assume went to people who previously lived in them, so people effectively bought their own homes.

But those 96000 homes. Maybe they house 250,000, all of which are of course still housed and the receipts can be used to build new social housing, even if not enough of it.

In those same years since 2012 net immigration was about 3million. More than 10 times that figure.

We could have not sold a single council house in the UK. We could have built one for everyone one sold. We could have built five for every one sold and it still would only be half the net immigration figure.

The reality is it's all pissing in the wind until demand is kept under greater control. Not just on immigration, but second homes, Airbnb and the rest of it too. It's completely distorting both the housing market and in turn land values more generally. Like your local community pub? Forget that when you can get 35 flats on the same plot of land
    There were lots of consequences which could've been envisaged which have further impacted on housing in the UK.

It's been a while since I've done anything with housing but there were figures from research around 2018 that showed 40% of sold RTB stock had ended up in the private rented sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Here's an example which I think will be an eye opener to many older folk on here - https://old.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAte...ies_that_left/
    It's an eye opener alright - if only to read the kind of foul language used by the anti-boomers when talking about in-laws etc!
    Thankfully my wife and I have a great relationship with our children and grandchildren and we help them as much as we can. Yes, we grew up in what I would call a golden age but we didn't have much say in the matter of course so do I need to apologise for that?

Worth a read of the link below.

A few experts believe as it gets nearer to the election Mr (say nothing ) Sir Kier will becomes more visible and his frailties as will his cabinet , policies , coziness with Tory / Blair like policies
    ( at the moment god knows what those policies are )

I think we are seeing whats known as soft polling , where folk are lashing out , moaning , lazy , lying , no one really believes that Labour has anything new to offer , if they offer Wales as a good example god helps us ??

Quote:: Remember – in June 2019 the Tories won 9% of the national vote in the European Parliament elections, but six months later they won a landslide at the general election.

The Tories can be a very nasty bunch come election time , its best not to write them , over confidence is a real thing ..

No wonder Sir Kier wanted Boris gone, best we hope he doesn't reappear in a Trump like form , as he is made for that stump electable stuff...

https://www.compassonline.org.uk/six...lection-alone/

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    only a small proportion of the rise in housing prices is attributed to immigration, I think it was something like 20% over the last 20 years
    That's not true, we've added 7 million to our population since the early 00s. Are you telling me That's had a small impact on house prices? Nonesense. You need to check the political agenda of your sources

"I'll leave that there" this your big mic drop moment Jordi? 😆

The hòusing crisis is caused by the explosion of immigration numbers since Labour came to power in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    "I'll leave that there" this your big mic drop moment Jordi? ��

The hòusing crisis is caused by the explosion of immigration numbers since Labour came to power in 1997.
    If there was an “explosion” (I remember you lecturing me recently for using such an emotive word in relation to the use of food banks in this country when you claimed the UK Government should be given credit for this) of immigration from 1997, what do you call what has happened since 2010?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ingdom-y-on-y/

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Worth a read of the link below.

A few experts believe as it gets nearer to the election Mr (say nothing ) Sir Kier will becomes more visible and his frailties as will his cabinet , policies , coziness with Tory / Blair like policies
    ( at the moment god knows what those policies are )

I think we are seeing whats known as soft polling , where folk are lashing out , moaning , lazy , lying , no one really believes that Labour has anything new to offer , if they offer Wales as a good example god helps us ??

Quote:: Remember – in June 2019 the Tories won 9% of the national vote in the European Parliament elections, but six months later they won a landslide at the general election.

The Tories can be a very nasty bunch come election time , its best not to write them , over confidence is a real thing ..

No wonder Sir Kier wanted Boris gone, best we hope he doesn't reappear in a Trump like form , as he is made for that stump electable stuff...

https://www.compassonline.org.uk/six...lection-alone/
    While many of the points in the article still read true now, the situation has not changed at all in terms of the gap between the parties in the year since it was published - in fact, recent polling has the Labour lead increasing slightly and Sunak's personal ratings fell during 2023.

Things can still change and anyone who says there is absolutely no chance of the Conservatives forming, or being part of, the next Government is daft, but the reasons why that could happen, as outlined in the article, have to be weaker now than they were in January 2023 because the whole of that year has passed and the political landscape for the Government has grown bleaker.

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    "I'll leave that there" this your big mic drop moment Jordi? 😆

Are these the same immigration numbers that have continued to go up under the last 14 years of Tory rule with net migration into the UK also higher?

Good to see Cameron, Johnson, May, Truss and Sunak all had it all under control.

X

Are these the same immigration numbers that have continued to go up under the last 14 years of Tory rule with net migration into the UK also higher?

Good to see Cameron, Johnson, May, Truss and Sunak all had it all under control.

X
    🫳🎤

X
    Immigration numbers are rising fast in all western countries, so you may want to look into that instead of specific cases.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Immigration numbers are rising fast in all western countries, so you may want to look into that instead of specific cases.

X

What?

I thought we were 'taking back control' of our borders.

We were discussing the UK so it is specific. Sorry about that butt.

I didn't bring it up, your butty did but as I read it.

Immigration into the UK under a Labour government is Labour's fault.

Immigration into the UK under consecutive Conservative governments is Labour's, conspiring circumstances and anything else's fault.

Ah, I see that now. Cheers for clearing that up.

What?

I thought we were 'taking back control' of our borders.

We were discussing the UK so it is specific. Sorry about that butt.

I didn't bring it up, your butty did but as I read it.

Immigration into the UK under a Labour government is Labour's fault.

Immigration into the UK under consecutive Conservative governments is Labour's, conspiring circumstances and anything else's fault.

Ah, I see that now. Cheers for clearing that up.
    Yeah butt, but it's happening globally butt, so maybe you should investigate that butt. Cheers butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Yeah butt, but it's happening globally butt, so maybe you should investigate that butt. Cheers butt.
    Ouch, you bitch *laughing*

So 'Taking back control' isn't working then. (I thought the whole point was so the UK could protect itself better from outside influences and external factors?)

Cheers for confirming that butt.

X

X
    You won't draw me into the blinkered Tory versus Labour rubbish. And don't be one of those fruitcakes like "RJK" who refuse to accept that adding 7 million immigrants to the population doesn't affect house prices much.
    The Tories have sustained the crazy immigration numbers started by Labour, despite pledging in manifesto's to reduce immigration drastically. Brexit was a massive message to our elites that the electorate wanted tighter immigration, instead immigration increased.
    This is why i think democracy is fake and broken and why, if i were to vote, i'd be voting Reform Party. The best of a bad bunch but we need to tighten our grip on immigration

Ouch, you bitch *laughing*

So 'Taking back control' isn't working then. (I thought the whole point was so the UK could protect itself better from outside influences and external factors?)

Cheers for confirming that butt.

X
    A wise old person once advised me that we should be weary of new shiny objects ...

X

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If there was an “explosion” (I remember you lecturing me recently for using such an emotive word in relation to the use of food banks in this country when you claimed the UK Government should be given credit for this) of immigration from 1997, what do you call what has happened since 2010?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ingdom-y-on-y/
    Unfortunately immigration has caused literal "explosions" on our homeland, killing many.