+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh dear, Oh dear, electric cars in winter !!!!!

Re: Oh dear, Oh dear, electric cars in winter !!!!!

People slagging off EV’s, are usually the ones who can’t afford them.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    People slagging off EV’s, are usually the ones who can’t afford them.
    I could afford one but I like ICE , what’s more they are overpriced and the residual value is awful

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I could afford one but I like ICE , what’s more they are overpriced and the residual value is awful
    While it's true that initial costs and residual values of electric vehicles (EVs) can be concerning, the broader perspective of sustainability advocates for designing cars with longevity in mind, rather than adhering to the cycle of frequent upgrades or built-in obsolescence.

This approach not only benefits the environment by reducing waste and resource consumption but also offers long-term financial savings to consumers, as vehicles that last longer reduce the need for frequent replacements. Of course that doesn't align with capitalism. Or at least the current obsession with growth.

I saw a news article in the week that tickled me of a fleet of Electric Double Decker buses being charged with a Diesel Generator 😳

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes, like it or not EVs are here to stay and the internal combustion engine is on the way out for personal transport, some people seem to be in denial about this though
    Correct, there is no going back. I don’t even know why people waste their time moaning about it, it’s happening and will continue to happen until they are phased out.

I’m working on EV Freight policy in my current role, HGVs are some way off becoming the norm, but there’s been advancements in this as well.

EVs are here to stay, it’s inevitable.

I just think it’s important to be aware of the environmental impact of all forms of transportation, not rely on one alternative to the ICE and smugly think we’ve solved all the problems.

Here’s an interesting (but long) paper re. EVs https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...111/ecaf.12582

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I saw a news article in the week that tickled me of a fleet of Electric Double Decker buses being charged with a Diesel Generator 😳
    The paper I’ve just posted talks about this. Unless EVs are solar powered then there will be the need for an energy charging source from somewhere. It’s important to consider that. There’s no denying they are here stay though but their promotion is driven mainly by capitalism and a kind of pseudo green economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    The paper I’ve just posted talks about this. Unless EVs are solar powered then there will be the need for an energy charging source from somewhere. It’s important to consider that. There’s no denying they are here stay though but their promotion is driven mainly by capitalism and a kind of pseudo green economy.
    the current mix of electricity generation is already a lot cleaner and more efficient than running an internal combustion engine, and it is only getting cleaner

the current mix of electricity generation is already a lot cleaner and more efficient than running an internal combustion engine, and it is only getting cleaner
    I agree with you. That doesn't actually negate the argument I'm making though does it? I'm deeply suspicious of any environmental solution that's got the current capitalist model behind it. Also, the 'all eggs in one basket' human (mainly political) approach to solving problems has never worked out well for the planet (and therefore us) that well so far e.g the Industrial Revolution. Substitute that with the EV Revolution and in around 100 years we've created more problems than we've solved.

president of the AA urge EV owners to pre heat batteries in cold weather

https://www.energylivenews.com/2024/...-cold-weather/

This popped up on the BBC Sport site whilst I was listening to the match and following the scores. Much more interesting than our football. It's about solid-state batteries being developed by Toyota. Very knowledgable panel and sounds really encouraging, as you pointed out earlier in the thread. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3...t_bbc_team=BBC

Had an letter today from Honda Cardiff offering £10,000 towards deposit on a new Honda EV. Sounded fantastic until I discovered that the car costs over £47,000! 😬.

It's been minus 10 here i've had no problems with my Bike

Not really "news". The ICE and battery solutions don't like cold. Ironically, the ICE has to have all the cooling complications added while in reality, the higher the working temperature the better. What happened to the touted ceramic engines? People seem to like to pick faults with EVs. Obviously there are some or they would have already completely replaced the ICE. It doesn't mean that it's not a viable and much preferable solution in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Not really "news". The ICE and battery solutions don't like cold. Ironically, the ICE has to have all the cooling complications added while in reality, the higher the working temperature the better. What happened to the touted ceramic engines? People seem to like to pick faults with EVs. Obviously there are some or they would have already completely replaced the ICE. It doesn't mean that it's not a viable and much preferable solution in many cases.
    IMO EV's should be welcomed as an option of choice, my choice is that I'll never have one, with only about 10 years max of driving to go it's an easy statement to make, if leccy was free and it should be, the technology was/is available and the cost of the car was comparable to a combustion engine then its a different decision.