+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Mohammad meets childhood Cardiff City hero

Jason Mohammad meets childhood Cardiff City hero

Jason Mohammad 'the most overwhelmed he's been on TV' as he meets childhood Cardiff City hero

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-most-28466842

Re: Jason Mohammad meets childhood Cardiff City hero

Dave Bennett - what a player. Great memories of him and brother Gary at N.P.

My view is whilst dave was a very good player it was Gary at the back , with his reading of the game that we really missed when he left

A real silent but deadly sort of team member

He was handy if it all kicked off

Used to play snooker with Dave after training, this was back when Jason was a Spurs fan

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Used to play snooker with Dave after training, this was back when Jason was a Spurs fan
    Was he?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Was he?!
    Has been for years. Don't know why anyone swallows the guff about him being a City fan.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My view is whilst dave was a very good player it was Gary at the back , with his reading of the game that we really missed when he left

A real silent but deadly sort of team member

He was handy if it all kicked off
    I guess they had a tough time back in those days when they were the only black players playing for City. My memory says that they were there at same time as Clive Charles but if the article is correct then they couldn't have been. I remember Cohen Griffiths who came later - he was a formidable defender!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I guess they had a tough time back in those days when they were the only black players playing for City. My memory says that they were there at same time as Clive Charles but if the article is correct then they couldn't have been. I remember Cohen Griffiths who came later - he was a formidable defender!
    Cohen was a striker mate

Charles was a few years before the deadly duo

Anyone remember Clyde Best? I'm pretty sure he was the only black player in the first division. So weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Has been for years. Don't know why anyone swallows the guff about him being a City fan.
    How do you know he didn't support City as a youngster.

My son supports Chelsea because he and his mates found it more interesting to watch games on TV if they all supported different clubs. But he has always supported City anf would want them to eat Chelsea.

Cohen was a striker mate

Charles was a few years before the deadly duo
    Wasn't he one of several ex City players who ended up at Barry? Think they used him more as an attacking midfielder, but I might be wrong there.

I always remember Cohen Griffiths playing on the wing?

Charles around 1975, Dave Bennett 1983, Cohen 1988 at a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Anyone remember Clyde Best? I'm pretty sure he was the only black player in the first division. So weird.
    West Ham player?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    He was primarily a forward, he wasn't a Chris fry type of winger

His greatest goal for us in my opinion was his belter on his debut up at Huddersfield

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Me too!
    He was never a winger although he could get out wide

Front two , off the main forward

He was primarily a forward, he wasn't a Chris fry type of winger

His greatest goal for us in my opinion was his belter on his debut up at Huddersfield
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...cohen-griffith

The first black player I can remember is Leeds' South African winger Albert Johansen (probably spelt his surname wrong). After that came John Charles (Clive's brother) who was also a full back for West Ham in the mid sixties. West Ham were pretty exceptional in the early seventies as I believe they may have very occasionally had three black players in their side (Clive Charles, Clyde Best and Ade Coker), but it was when West Brom had Brendan Batson, Cyrille Regis and Laurie Cunningham as regulars in their staring line up in the late seventies that black players started to become commonplace in the game.

City had some black players before my time like Tommy Best, but, thinking back, apart from Clive Charles, I can't think of seeing any others in our team until the Bennett brothers arrived in 81/82 - they were joined for a few weeks by Godfrey Ingram and I seem to recall there was some sort of feeble attempt in the local media to refer to them as the Three Degrees just like the West Brom trio I mentioned earlier were.

I always used to say that Dave Bennett was my second favourite City player after Ian Gibson, but I think Sludge is right when he says Gary might have been more important to us - Gordon Owen did a great short term job in replacing Dave and I'd say Dave's talents came more to the fore at the higher level of the First Division. He was many people's choice as Man of the Match in Coventry's FA Cup Final win over Spurs in 1987 and I'd say he was was good enough to have been capped by England. Gary was some player as well, quick, good in the air and strong, he was a quality defender for us and didn't do badly as a striker for us at times - he's something of a legend at Sunderland and I believe he's still involved in match commentaries for them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The first black player I can remember is Leeds' South African winger Albert Johansen (probably spelt his surname wrong). After that came John Charles (Clive's brother) who was also a full back for West Ham in the mid sixties. West Ham were pretty exceptional in the early seventies as I believe they may have very occasionally had three black players in their side (Clive Charles, Clyde Best and Ade Coker), but it was when West Brom had Brendan Batson, Cyrille Regis and Laurie Cunningham as regulars in their staring line up in the late seventies that black players started to become commonplace in the game.

City had some black players before my time like Tommy Best, but, thinking back, apart from Clive Charles, I can't think of seeing any others in our team until the Bennett brothers arrived in 81/82 - they were joined for a few weeks by Godfrey Ingram and I seem to recall there was some sort of feeble attempt in the local media to refer to them as the Three Degrees just like the West Brom trio I mentioned earlier were.

I always used to say that Dave Bennett was my second favourite City player after Ian Gibson, but I think Sludge is right when he says Gary might have been more important to us - Gordon Owen did a great short term job in replacing Dave and I'd say Dave's talents came more to the fore at the higher level of the First Division. He was many people's choice as Man of the Match in Coventry's FA Cup Final win over Spurs in 1987 and I'd say he was was good enough to have been capped by England. Gary was some player as well, quick, good in the air and strong, he was a quality defender for us and didn't do badly as a striker for us at times - he's something of a legend at Sunderland and I believe he's still involved in match commentaries for them.
    Steve Mokone was with us for the 59/60 season and played the first three games in the first team before playing regularly in the Combination team. He scored in the first game of the season - a 3-2 win over Liverpool!
    "Steve Mokone - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Mokone

I wondered how long it would take for someone to say he was a Spurs fan when he was a kid. Who gives a shit. He always champions City these days on his tv programmes and social media.

Love the Bennets .

Gary was a giant.

Why do folk cry on television ??

Click bait ??

I like players of all colours and creed .

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I wondered how long it would take for someone to say he was a Spurs fan when he was a kid. Who gives a shit. He always champions City these days on his tv programmes and social media.

Exactly!

When he was a kid?….. He actually used to refer to Spurs as “us” on his radio Wales show…..Wynn Evans the same.
    JMo’s Dad is a proper City fan ….drove the open top bus at the promotion parade.