+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Scott on Match of the Day

Re: Alex Scott on Match of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Did a good job as a presenter, sack Lineker keep her on, and save the BBC a fortune!
    Beeb should themselves a fortune - ditch Lineker and give her the job. Lineker can host the daily politics show instead...ah no he wont be able to as it requires displayed impartiality

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I wish she would pronounce the 't' at the end of words.....
    One of the worst is Danny Gabbidon who seems completely unable to say a 't'. My two favourites -
    Why Harlane - White Hart Lane
    Opportunee - opportunity
    Difference is he tends to know what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisp White Lines View Post
    I blame Neighbours and Home & Away.

They brought in that annoying habit of raising the pitch of your voice at the end of your sentence to turn it into a question?
    It does seem to be an Australian thing. I remember quite a few Olympics ago, the Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe was part of a commentary team and his tendency to do this all the time became very annoying.

The producers of Soccer Saturday decided that last weekends Stoke v Birmingham match should be analysed by someone who thought the away team was pronounced Berminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    One of the worst is Danny Gabbidon who seems completely unable to say a 't'. My two favourites -
    Opportunee - opportunity
    He repeats every sentence though which really bugs me

Opportunee - opportunity
    Shouldn’ ha be “alking abou”

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Glotal stops. On the Olympics a girl from Kent worked for me, lovely girl totally incapable of pronouncing words with T. for example she couldn't say I'm going to the O2, she'd say "I'm goin O2" similarly she never went to the West end she'd go "Up west, ( know there T there she couldn't say "to the west end" and if you heard her say 'Up west' it would make you smile.
    I have found in my travel though that it seems to be a london/SE thing."
    I think that the glottal stop (or perhaps the glo'al stop) was a feature of Estuarese English (i.e. London and environs) and seems to have expanded nationwide. As for Aussie accents in 'Neighbours' being responsible for the insertion of a question mark (rather than just the raised inflection in the spoken word), that seems a tad fanciful to me. More people have watched Coronation Street and over a longer period but it doesn't seem to have left a national linguistic impression of any kind: nowt really

I think that the glottal stop (or perhaps the glo'al stop) was a feature of Estuarese English (i.e. London and environs) and seems to have expanded nationwide. As for Aussie accents in 'Neighbours' being responsible for the insertion of a question mark (rather than just the raised inflection in the spoken word), that seems a tad fanciful to me. More people have watched Coronation Street and over a longer period but it doesn't seem to have left a national linguistic impression of any kind: nowt really
    I bet your favourite play is Pygmalion and you have My Fair Lady on loop!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Never seen either, old fruit

Talking about Coronation Street, who’s mentioned in nearly every episode but has never been seen?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Talking about Coronation Street, who’s mentioned in nearly every episode but has never been seen?
    Rover?

Never seen either, old fruit
    Just joshing. Which is quite an interesting word and I've just read about its origin.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Willie Eckaslike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Willie Eckaslike

Just joshing. Which is quite an interesting word and I've just read about its origin.
    It's one of those words whose origin is only guessed at but which was in use in the mid-19th century in the States as a verb we are familiar with - and it was not committed to print until a few decades later.

Willie Eckaslike
    And A. Oop?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The producers of Soccer Saturday decided that last weekends Stoke v Birmingham match should be analysed by someone who thought the away team was pronounced Berminum.
    Marginally preferable to "BirminGum", IMO

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Please stand up Clinton Morrison :-/

Willie Eckaslike
    That’s the bugger

Watched the Klopp interview with Skys Gail Davies yesterday, one of the worst interviewers I have seen, was forever nodding her head

Nieghbours had a attracted a far younger demographic than Coronation Street.

He wrote them.

Doesn’t everyone just record MOTD, and fast forward through all the drivel from the “experts” ?

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Doesn’t everyone just record MOTD, and fast forward through all the drivel from the “experts” ?
    Yes!!

Opportunee - opportunity
    He sometimes goes a whole sentence without just vowel sounds - no consonants, it's so bad it's funny..