+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young Denham returns

Young Denham returns

He's back from Dundee and apparently hasn't played since July. That's a massive red flag for me.

Shirley his development would have been better around the first team? Granted that's what will now happen, but why did it take the club this long to act?

Re: Young Denham returns

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    He's back from Dundee and apparently hasn't played since July. That's a massive red flag for me.

Shirley his development would have been better around the first team? Granted that's what will now happen, but why did it take the club this long to act?

The question is WHY has he not played?

This is a issue the club has ( and I know they are looking to do better ) When I youngster goes out on loan, the club doesnt check in with them to see how things are going, its almost like the players are on there own and forgotten about

as I said though, it is something the club are working on

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    This is a issue the club has ( and I know they are looking to do better ) When I youngster goes out on loan, the club doesnt check in with them to see how things are going, its almost like the players are on there own and forgotten about

How about, (I know it's not a popular theory on here) He goes to Dundee, trains well, forces himself into the team, plays well and develops that way. Everyone is happy. This football shit isn't as complicated as people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How about, (I know it's not a popular theory on here) He goes to Dundee, trains well, forces himself into the team, plays well and develops that way. Everyone is happy. This football shit isn't as complicated as people think.
    that would be a ideal situation, but when it goes wrong, the club doesn't know about it, as they are not " checking in / keeping tabs " on the players, yea sure, these are grown men and should be able to deal with it themselves, but it seems the club is aware of its issues over this and are doing more ( they are having a specific role to do it )

How early can the club act? Denham is going to be 22 in a few months and he can’t get a sniff at a Scottish Championship club. The club can check in all they like but he’s almost certainly not good enough and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    How early can the club act? Denham is going to be 22 in a few months and he can’t get a sniff at a Scottish Championship club. The club can check in all they like but he’s almost certainly not good enough and never will be.
    You aren't wrong, but it's funny how an at the time 19 year old can put a decent performance in against Liverpool no less, and then fall off the face of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    You aren't wrong, but it's funny how an at the time 19 year old can put a decent performance in against Liverpool no less, and then fall off the face of the earth.
    Cry me a river it’s like Darcy Blake v Wayne Rooney all over again

How do you know the club haven’t checked in on him? Maybe they can’t recall him until the window? We are not one of the big boys we cant force teams to play our players.

Liverpool had a lad with first team experience on loan at Aberdeen and he didn’t get a sniff of the first team so they recalled him and loaned him out to Port Vale. It happens sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    How do you know the club haven’t checked in on him? Maybe they can’t recall him until the window? We are not one of the big boys we cant force teams to play our players.
    I didnt say they hadn't checked in with him ( as I dont know ), I said that this is a issue the club has and has been raised internally by a few players who have gone out on loan ( the club are putting procedures and a specific role to improve that )

I didnt say they hadn't checked in with him ( as I dont know ), I said that this is a issue the club has and has been raised internally by a few players who have gone out on loan ( the club are putting procedures and a specific role to improve that )
    How do you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    How do you know that?
    Well as he only played two pre season cup games back in July and has not figured since, it would not take Sherlock Holmes to work out he hasn't made the grade at Dundee United.

QED

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    Well as he only played two pre season cup games back in July and has not figured since, it would not take Sherlock Holmes to work out he hasn't made the grade at Dundee United.

QED
    I don't think that's the question RichardM was asking. I think he wants to know how 'blue matt' knows about something that is internal?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I don't think that's the question RichardM was asking. I think he wants to know how 'blue matt' knows about something that is internal?
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    He was better than decent that day and didn't do too badly when given a few Championship games at the end of that season - it's very Cardiff City that he hasn't seemed to progress at all since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Think that a "loan manager" is pretty standard practice nowadays tbf. Pretty certain it was part of Alan Curtis' role at Swansea years ago

Pretty concerning Denham didn't play for Dundee Utd though, they're top but the Scottish Championship is some way off the standard of the English Championship. I remember him looking decent previously, even called up to a Wales squad?

I do also remember him looking a bit slight and like he needed to bulk up a bit. You may be able to get away with that at u21s but lacking physicality will really hurt you at senior level, especially at centre back

Am I right in thinking he's our only centre back cover?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Think that a "loan manager" is pretty standard practice nowadays tbf. Pretty certain it was part of Alan Curtis' role at Swansea years ago

Pretty concerning Denham didn't play for Dundee Utd though, they're top but the Scottish Championship is some way off the standard of the English Championship. I remember him looking decent previously, even called up to a Wales squad?

I do also remember him looking a bit slight and like he needed to bulk up a bit. You may be able to get away with that at u21s but lacking physicality will really hurt you at senior level, especially at centre back

Think Ng would switch to centreback and Romeo come in if one of Goutas and McGuinness had to miss games.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think Ng would switch to centreback and Romeo come in if one of Goutas and McGuinness had to miss games.
    Probably. I think that would hurt us more than slotting in Denham (for instance)

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Surely this now falls under the Development Coach, Davies is it?

Denham needs to fill out. I guess that was part of the reason to send him to Scotland as it is very physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Surely this now falls under the Development Coach, Davies is it?

Denham needs to fill out. I guess that was part of the reason to send him to Scotland as it is very physical.
    That……and the deep-fried Mars bars.

Panzo was first choice CB for a Championship play off finalist last season, and he couldn't get a sniff for us.

It happens. Doesn't mean Denham "couldn't make the grade" there. They're top of their league, it's more likely that their manager has a settled partnership and he just hasn't had a chance.

In the 10 or so games he played for us, he did well. I highly, highly doubt he isn't good enough for the Scottish 2nd tier.

Saw this article, https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...enham-burnley/ where the Dundee manager in August, insisted Denham was still in his plans, but "had to fight for his place"- so think like us with Panzo he didn't want to send him back right away just in case in emergency he had to break glass and use him; and would have been telling us and Denham just to bide his time and prove himself worthy of being picked.

This was said after the 2 friendly appearances he made vs Blythe Spartans and Partick "baptisms of fire" in which he "didn't cover himself in glory" and he himself was "quite honest about his performances within those (games)"

The manager after signing Denham found he had the chance to sign a CB he trusted as he'd had him elsewhere - and that lad has kept Denham out all season.

York City didn't think Tanner was good enough for them last year and he's been a regular for us this season.
    Football's a funny old game.

That's the truth about so many of our youngsters the problem is nobody ever makes it and we don't ever sell anybody on for a profit. Maybe there's something fundamentally wrong with our academy apart from the fact Darren purse is the coach,

Quote Originally Posted by pompey blue View Post
    That's the truth about so many of our youngsters the problem is nobody ever makes it and we don't ever sell anybody on for a profit. Maybe there's something fundamentally wrong with our academy apart from the fact Darren purse is the coach,
    The decent ones get snapped up by the big clubs.