Saltburn

House of Gucci

A Man Called Otto

Moon

Vanilla Sky

Seconds

True Spirit

Tetris
    I couldn’t get past the Saltburn trailer - it put me off completely. Also avoiding Hanks in A Man Called Otto - a totally unnecessary remake of a great Scandi film (and an even better book).

My recent list of films seen in the pictures is:

The Old Oak (brilliant by Loach if a bit too feel good at the end).

Oppenheimer (serious and seriously good film but stolen by Robert Downey Jnr)

Napoleon (spectacle and made up history - loved it)

Re: O/T Film recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I couldn’t get past the Saltburn trailer - it put me off completely. Also avoiding Hanks in A Man Called Otto - a totally unnecessary remake of a great Scandi film (and an even better book).

My recent list of films seen in the pictures is:

The Old Oak (brilliant by Loach if a bit too feel good at the end).

Oppenheimer (serious and seriously good film but stolen by Robert Downey Jnr)

Napoleon (spectacle and made up history - loved it)
    Cheers for your recommendations

A man called Otto is great 7.5/10 give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Have watched a few recently, here are some recommendations
    How the hell do you find time to research all of your conspiracy theories, if you are always sat in front of the TV watching films!

PS I'd recommend watching a few Wes Anderson films if you like that sort of thing

Oh yeah, have a look at the The Road for a glimpse of life in the near future

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    How the hell do you find time to research all of your conspiracy theories, if you are always sat in front of the TV watching films!

PS I'd recommend watching a few Wes Anderson films if you like that sort of thing

Has anyone seen ‘Poor Things’?

Getting a lot of attention pre Oscars.

I read the book 30 years ago (read everything Alasdair Gray wrote) but can’t imagine how it was translated for the screen.

Has anyone seen ‘Poor Things’?

Getting a lot of attention pre Oscars.

I read the book 30 years ago (read everything Alasdair Gray wrote) but can’t imagine how it was translated for the screen.
    It’s got a very good write up in IMDb, will add it to my watch list

Once upon a time in Hollywood is one of the best films I have seen in recent years. Mammoth, a bit bizarre in places but an incredible film

I saw it in the cinema on my own and it was quite an experience.

Was on Netflix last time I checked

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Once upon a time in Hollywood is one of the best films I have seen in recent years. Mammoth, a bit bizarre in places but an incredible film

It will be remembered as the last great film before Hollywood went totally woke!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I'd recommend watching a few Wes Anderson films if you like that sort of thing
    Start with these ...

The Royal Tenenbaums
    The Darjeeling Limited
    The Grand Budapest Hotel

There are a few new ones I need to check out too.

Ah, on the alternative forum! Pity

Anyone seen Zone of Interest? Thoughts?

It’s got a very good write up in IMDb, will add it to my watch list
    I watched 'Poor Things' about 3 weeks ago.

Absolutely brilliant, innovative and brave film. A fantastic performance by Emma Stone - and a superb supporting cast (Willem Dafoe, Mark Ruffalo, Christopher Abbott, Vicky Pepperdine....). Deserves all the awards it (and Stone) will get.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Ah, on the alternative forum! Pity

Anyone seen Zone of Interest? Thoughts?
    Hoping to see it in the next few weeks. Seen the trailer.... and read a few reviews. Didn't realise it is based on a Martin Amis novel.

Hoping to see it in the next few weeks. Seen the trailer.... and read a few reviews. Didn't realise it is based on a Martin Amis novel.
    Yeah, I saw that it was an Amis novel. Not sure how the novel worked though, as the film is pretty much all about the visuals, sound and ambience - and quite stunning in that respect. It must be watched in a cinema though I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Yeah, I saw that it was an Amis novel. Not sure how the novel worked though, as the film is pretty much all about the visuals, sound and ambience - and quite stunning in that respect. It must be watched in a cinema though I would have thought.
    I wondered the same. From the trailers the horror comes from the banality and comfort of family life, whilst over the fence is industrial butchery and degradation. The juxtaposition can be done on film (the horror not shown I assume - it is Cert 12A) but cannot imagine how it was achieved in the book. May have to read it.

Not a film, 'The Space Shuttle That fell To Earth' Documentary, three parts. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Not a film, 'The Space Shuttle That fell To Earth' Documentary, three parts. Brilliant.
    It’s a good story

It’s a good story
    I wont tell you how it ends

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Just watched it tonight for the third time. One of my favourite films and certainly Tarantino’s best imo. Could watch the cinematography on loop.

I watched The Good Nurse. A good but chilling true crime film. Not so much a whodunnit as you know very early on the answer to that one. A damning indictment of the US health system, if one was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I watched The Good Nurse. A good but chilling true crime film. Not so much a whodunnit as you know very early on the answer to that one. A damning indictment of the US health system, if one was needed.
    That sounds dark

I saw Wicked Little Letters over the weekend.
    If you want to have a laugh, then go and see it. If you're easily offended by swearing, then don't.
    Timothy Spall and Olivia Coleman are worth watching in most things they do anyway, but they're excellent in this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I saw Wicked Little Letters over the weekend.
    If you want to have a laugh, then go and see it. If you're easily offended by swearing, then don't.
    Timothy Spall and Olivia Coleman are worth watching in most things they do anyway, but they're excellent in this.
    I hope to get to that one this week or next. The trailers have done their job on me - and I read an interview with Olivia Coleman and Jessie Buckley that drew me in even more..

I may be wrong but it feels as if we are in a mini golden age of great small-scale British screen dramas - that came out as the Covid restrictions went away. We are going to the pictures now more than for decades.

My next two must watch films are nothing like that though. They are both part 2s - Dune 2 and The Three Musketeers - Milady.

I hope to get to that one this week or next. The trailers have done their job on me - and I read an interview with Olivia Coleman and Jessie Buckley that drew me in even more..

I may be wrong but it feels as if we are in a mini golden age of great small-scale British screen dramas - that came out as the Covid restrictions went away. We are going to the pictures now more than for decades.

My next two must watch films are nothing like that though. They are both part 2s - Dune 2 and The Three Musketeers - Milady.
    Dune 2 I'm very excited about. Must watch the first one again soon for the build-up.