+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diseases from history books making a return.

Diseases from history books making a return.

Unbelievable and shocking. More than the population of Wales are destitute in the Uk.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/starmer-s...-era-diseases/

Re: Diseases from history books making a return.

A thinly veiled vote for Sir Keir and everything will be alright post NQAT!

Sorry, I couldn't resist the urge

Would be interesting to see a break down of the figures to try and tackle the reasons.

It's very worrying, but one thing that doesn't help is patronising comments from the bloke in the video, who clearly knows about public health but perhaps less about working class life.

"If you are on benefits or universal credit we guarantee you will get sick". Patronising hogwash. My kids mum is on universal credit. Millions of hardworking families are and their kids don't get rickets and the like. Such extreme comments don't help solve the problem at all IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    A thinly veiled vote for Sir Keir and everything will be alright post NQAT!

Sorry, I couldn't resist the urge
    You don’t think there’s something to be worried about that diseases I learned about in school, diseases that were not around in my youth, are making a comeback or that the average five year old UK child is over two and a half inches shorter than their Dutch counterparts then?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nterparts.html

No, you probably don’t because it’s too mundane for your tastes I suppose - nothing you can blame big pharma for.

One other thing, you won’t see many vote for Sir Keir posts from me, just plenty plenty of don’t vote Sunak ones.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You don’t think there’s something to be worried about that diseases I learned about in school, diseases that were not around in my youth, are making a comeback or that the average five year old UK child is over two and a half inches shorter than their Dutch counterparts then?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nterparts.html

No, you probably don’t because it’s too mundane for your tastes I suppose - nothing you can blame big pharma for.

One other thing, you won’t see many vote for Sir Keir posts from me, just plenty plenty of don’t vote Sunak ones.
    I've met a lot of Dutch people, they are very tall!

I've met a lot of Dutch people, they are very tall!
    Congratulations, you’ve just repeated practically verbatim what someone who posts responses to the Daily Mail said - another one for your bucket list!

Congratulations, you’ve just repeated practically verbatim what someone who posts responses to the Daily Mail said - another one for your bucket list!
    They really are mostly tall, I have met them and saw it with my own eyes!

Forget the Dutch then, what about France and Germany, one country we’re keeping down with is our special relationship partners mind.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-06-21/...olds-in-europe

I'm not sure why the Dutch are so tall, but I think they always have been haven't they? Dutch and Scandinavians. Must be diet related, but they are clearly taller than their French and German neighbours too, so something is going on.

Probably impacted by Immigration too. The top three non Dutch national backgrounds in Netherlands are Turks, Moroccans and Surinamese, the average height for them being 169.1cm, 168.8cm and 168.4cm. In UK it's Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi, the average height for them being 170.8cm, 161cm and 158.7cm according to Wikipedia anyway.

Obviously over time this changes, but it would likely take a few generations.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I'm not sure why the Dutch are so tall, but I think they always have been haven't they? Dutch and Scandinavians. Must be diet related, but they are clearly taller than their French and German neighbours too, so something is going on.

Probably impacted by Immigration too. The top three non Dutch national backgrounds in Netherlands are Turks, Moroccans and Surinamese, the average height for them being 169.1cm, 168.8cm and 168.4cm. In UK it's Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi, the average height for them being 170.8cm, 161cm and 158.7cm according to Wikipedia anyway.

Obviously over time this changes, but it would likely take a few generations.

It's great, I could have posted links from many publications that mentioned the study, but chose the Daily Mail because I thought it best to use something which is a polar opposite from my opinions in so many ways - I wish I hadn't bothered. The Mail didn't do anything wrong in this case except that they happened to mention the Netherlands in their story and so the opportunity was given to divert the story to a discussion about why are Dutch people so tall, whereas, you'd think that in the UK, it would be why are British five years old so small and why are do they seem to be getting smaller? Similarly, you choose to pick out one thing from the video I posted to attack the professor who was being interviewed, rather than address the comeback of diseases which were considered to be relics from a bygone age twenty years ago.

If a nation's children are getting smaller by comparison to other countries and are less tall now than they were in the recent past, while diseases associated with poor diet which have been dormant for decades make a comeback, isn't it reasonable to assume that it may have something to do with a decline in the quality of the food we eat? There's a political argument to be had as to whether this is because the poorest cannot afford to buy food of sufficient quality or whether many act out of choice and are preferring lower quality, convenience foods, but it seems pretty clear that the UK is paying a price for poor diet - not just in terms of the "usual suspects" like heart disease and diabetes, but also in ways no one would have predicted before the turn of the century.

It's great, I could have posted links from many publications that mentioned the study, but chose the Daily Mail because I thought it best to use something which is a polar opposite from my opinions in so many ways - I wish I hadn't bothered. The Mail didn't do anything wrong in this case except that they happened to mention the Netherlands in their story and so the opportunity was given to divert the story to a discussion about why are Dutch people so tall, whereas, you'd think that in the UK, it would be why are British five years old so small and why are do they seem to be getting smaller? Similarly, you choose to pick out one thing from the video I posted to attack the professor who was being interviewed, rather than address the comeback of diseases which were considered to be relics from a bygone age twenty years ago.

If a nation's children are getting smaller by comparison to other countries and are less tall now than they were in the recent past, while diseases associated with poor diet which have been dormant for decades make a comeback, isn't it reasonable to assume that it may have something to do with a decline in the quality of the food we eat? There's a political argument to be had as to whether this is because the poorest cannot afford to buy food of sufficient quality or whether many act out of choice and are preferring lower quality, convenience foods, but it seems pretty clear that the UK is paying a price for poor diet - not just in terms of the "usual suspects" like heart disease and diabetes, but also in ways no one would have predicted before the turn of the century.
    Fab post Bob!

Were they wearing clogs? There's a decent heel on clogs so can make them look taller.

Indeed, but what I'm saying is that there could also be another clear issue that the authors or media do not mention. As with most things, it's very likely a combination of many factors.

I think diets in the UK are pretty shit to be honest. I also think our general level of exercise is poor and most social changes, whether it be internet shopping to working from home are likely to make us less and less healthy, physically and mentally.

Unbelievable and
    shocking. More than the population of Wales are destitute in the Uk.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/starmer-s...-era-diseases/

How many years of a Welsh Labour government has it taken to achieve this?

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I’m not sure if all the destitute Brits are to be found in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Why are Welsh people so short when Labour have been in charge for decades? Surely we should be as tall as the dutch by now?

Not being party political in any way, but when Kier Starmer wants teeth brushing lessons in class, you know you've got problems. Just last week while waiting for the Mrs to get a trolley, I was stood next to a woman with a large Tesco trolley crammed to the top with packs of canned drinks, jumbo packs of quavers, and frozen pizzas. The high cost of food is in many ways a myth. I can load up with veg for next to nothing, a bunch of bananas were under £1, etc, etc. A packet of pasta £1, a jar of sauce £1.50, punnet of mushrooms 90p. and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Not being party political in any way, but when Kier Starmer wants teeth brushing lessons in class, you know you've got problems. Just last week while waiting for the Mrs to get a trolley, I was stood next to a woman with a large Tesco trolley crammed to the top with packs of canned drinks, jumbo packs of quavers, and frozen pizzas. The high cost of food is in many ways a myth. I can load up with veg for next to nothing, a bunch of bananas were under £1, etc, etc. A packet of pasta £1, a jar of sauce £1.50, punnet of mushrooms 90p. and so on.
    People don't realise that if you stick to a healthy low calorie diet, you will never have to see a doctor. We literally are what we eat. I never get bad colds or flu even if I am surrounded by it, and I can't remember when last I had a cough & a runny nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Were they wearing clogs? There's a decent heel on clogs so can make them look taller.

No vax for HIV after 40 yrs of research. No vax for CANCER after 100+ yrs of research. No vax for the COMMON COLD! Yet a vax is created for COVID, by 4 Big Pharma companies, all within 1 week from one another & we are all mandated to take it. Credit where it’s due and I’m hopeful this advancement in science will address the O.P’s concerns and new vax developments will help in no time making diseases disappear

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    No vax for HIV after 40 yrs of research. No vax for CANCER after 100+ yrs of research. No vax for the COMMON COLD! Yet a vax is created for COVID, by 4 Big Pharma companies, all within 1 week from one another & we are all mandated to take it. Credit where it’s due and I’m hopeful this advancement in science will address the O.P’s concerns and new vax developments will help in no time making diseases disappear
    Thanks for giving me the perfect opportunity to post this example of the consequences of a series of vaccine scare stories as we see another disease that was pretty much under control make a comeback.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...hief-executive

Thanks for giving me the perfect opportunity to post this example of the consequences of a series of vaccine scare stories as we see another disease that was pretty much under control make a comeback.

My post has nothing to do with any particular scare stories, just showing how it can be done.

You could argue that the low MMR take up is down to Tony Blair which resulted in millions of parents having vaccines hesitantly.

He’s quick enough to label people anti vaccine when it’s Covid related yet his own actions ( even if he did eventually allow his son to have MMR ) had done nothing but harm.
    Before you ask my son has had all his so I guess that still makes we anti vax right ?

The country has been at risk from a measles epidemic for at least the last 22 years

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news...idemic-5310569

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...accine-take-up

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...les-uk-britain

https://slate.com/technology/2013/04...ited-work.html

What's so funny? You think things like this are a joke do you - unless, of course, the vaccine in question is the subject of your obsession, the Covid one. The attitude of some of the independent, enlightened clan to this thread has been pathetic with gluey trying to turn it into some sort of jokey conversation about the height of people from different countries and now you, after bringing the subject of Covid vaccines into the the conversation because that's what you do, appearing to think that a rise in measles cases, partly on the back of discredited claims about the MMR vaccine, is a laughing matter - it's as if some think you're only allowed to discuss health matters on here if you keep it on the subject of Covid.

What's so funny? You think things like this are a joke do you - unless, of course, the vaccine in question is the subject of your obsession, the Covid one. The attitude of some of the independent, enlightened clan to this thread has been pathetic with gluey trying to turn it into some sort of jokey conversation about the height of people from different countries and now you, after bringing the subject of Covid vaccines into the the conversation because that's what you do, appearing to think that a rise in measles cases, partly on the back of discredited claims about the MMR vaccine, is a laughing matter - it's as if some think you're only allowed to discuss health matters on here if you keep it on the subject of Covid.
    Looks like you can’t accept being called out on your stupidly. Putting a smiley on something was more of a slight on the media sensation that you appear to fall for time and time again.

You’re also really good at ignoring key points being raised and it’s hilarious seeing you melt

Crack on with your day bra