+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BBC In Spotlight Again Covid Exaggeration

Re: BBC In Spotlight Again Covid Exaggeration

Epidemiologist Prof Mark Woolhouse criticised corporation for reporting rare deaths among healthy adults as the norm during pandemic He said this created the 'misleading impression' among BBC News viewers at the start of the pandemic that 'we are all at risk' and 'the virus does not discriminate'.

In reality, he said it was known at the time that the risk of dying from Covid was 10,000 times higher in the over-75s than the under-15s" Telegraph

Sounds very much like misinformation

The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s an anti BBC story presenting a particular view of the pandemic - put that with who started this thread and the fact it was from the Telegraph was hardly a shock.
    Anything from a Leftie news source is good, if not - then it's bad - does that sum it up ?.
    Why not concentrate on what the Prof Woolhouse had to say - or doesn't that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Anything from a Leftie news source is good, if not - then it's bad - does that sum it up ?.
    Why not concentrate on what the Prof Woolhouse had to say - or doesn't that matter?
    If he'd lived in the Soviet Union during it's heyday, he would be telling everybody how great Pravda was

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Well done, you’re four days late, but you got here in the end. To repeat what I said last week in this thread, the only comment I’ve made is to say that it was hardly a surprise that it was the Telegraph that ran a story like that, it’s what I would expect from them - it’s what they do, just like the Guardian would probably come at the same story from a different angle. I’ve not made any comment for or against on what the professor said and I don’t intend to.

Well done, you’re four days late, but you got here in the end. To repeat what I said last week in this thread, the only comment I’ve made is to say that it was hardly a surprise that it was the Telegraph that ran a story like that, it’s what I would expect from them - it’s what they do, just like the Guardian would probably come at the same story from a different angle. I’ve not made any comment for or against on what the professor said and I don’t intend to.
    I think it’s funny that there’s constant denial about story slant. An old mate of mine wrote for any paper that would pay him. He’d change and pitch the story differently depending on the paper. Proper old school journalism. Drove a Porsche…when he wasn’t banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think it’s funny that there’s constant denial about story slant. An old mate of mine wrote for any paper that would pay him. He’d change and pitch the story differently depending on the paper. Proper old school journalism. Drove a Porsche…when he wasn’t banned.
    Given that they’re so much cleverer than us sheeple, it’s strange how stupid the enlightened independent thinkers on here can appear at times.

Given that they’re so much cleverer than us sheeple, it’s strange how stupid the enlightened independent thinkers on here
    can appear at times.
    I don't remember the enlightened thinkers your words not mine bleating on about their degrees and full stops and a better education, Shirley they are the clever and enlightened ones yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I don't remember the enlightened thinkers your words not mine bleating on about their degrees and full stops and a better education, Shirley they are the clever and enlightened ones yes?
    At least one of them has done it(I'd never mention it if he hadn't) - for myself, I don't have a degree, can't remember ever bleating on about full stops and, partly through my own fault, my formal education was a waste of time.

my formal education was a waste of time.
    I would disagree, your match reports always well written, informative and constructive.
    The local press obviously thought so as well.

^^^@Heathblue's comment.

Private school at 13 onwards and a top Uni for me. Unravelling the Russia collusion hoax was one of the easiest things I have ever done, since I am immune to media bias

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Private school at 13 onwards and a top Uni for me. Unravelling the Russia collusion hoax was one of the easiest things I have ever done, since I am immune to media bias
    It's obvious that they were not very successful in getting me to turn up for skool
    I did manage a Unix shell scripting course about 20 years ago in Cardiff Uni, was the only non uni person on the course and did manage to get a pass but lost interest and didn't take it any further. I was like a fish out of water in that class, Welder out of Ely meets and studies with geezers who talked propa n stuff, just wasn't going to happen.

BBC need to be put in court and prosecuted. Unlike others who have to encrypt their channels for subscription, BBC don't albeit and were forced to pay a subscription, but they refuse to call it that, trade description where are you as the BBC IS misleading consumers as to what they are spending their money on ??

Thats a ripping yarn

It's obvious that they were not very successful in getting me to turn up for skool
    I did manage a Unix shell scripting course about 20 years ago in Cardiff Uni, was the only non uni person on the course and did manage to get a pass but lost interest and didn't take it any further. I was like a fish out of water in that class, Welder out of Ely meets and studies with geezers who talked propa n stuff, just wasn't going to happen.
    I don't see anything special about my experience. I was brought up in a terraced house, did my 1st year at comprehensive with a bunch of tearaways, and had a proper good laugh. I'm still the same kid who was brought up on the streets and got up to all kinds of mischief, and the move only happened because I was good at maths. I suppose it was good to meet different types of people, but the most interesting thing was how we were treated at school.

I would disagree, your match reports always well written, informative and constructive.
    The local press obviously thought so as well.
    Thanks, to be more accurate, my sixth form formal education was a waste of time. I was on the mitch way too much, but this was partly brought on because I chose my A level subjects based on what I was told my Biology grade was on the day the results were released - it turned out the headmaster had read my grade out wrongly, he said I'd sailed through it, but I'd actually just about scraped a pass. Three months into the academic year I went to see the teacher because I was struggling so much and she said "well, I was surprised you chose to take Biology with such a low passing grade" I'd decided to take science A levels on the basis of what the headmaster had told me, but I was never going to pass it and so dropped out of the Biology course and the only subject which would take me on so late into the course was English, so I ended up taking that and Chemistry - I virtually gave up on the latter (didn't like the teacher much), but tried hard in English and managed to get a pretty decent pass. Looking back though, I'd have been much better off leaving school at sixteen, rather than eighteen.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Thats a ripping yarn
    I used to have The Guardian delivered and I watched Newsnight every evening, plus Andrew Marr on Sunday, so I am well versed in this topic

I used to have The Guardian delivered and I watched Newsnight every evening, plus Andrew Marr on Sunday, so I am well versed in this topic
    Or you're just an old bloke trying to justify the rightward lurch you've taken since then.

Or you're just an old bloke trying to justify the rightward lurch you've taken since then.
    I'm not right or left, I just follow the different narratives

Anyone watching the Miners Strike 1984 on C4 shows how much the BBC ( and legacy media)lied about many many incidents reported at the time……and that was 40 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Absolutely, usual biased crap from the Torygraph
    Are you saying that the gist of the report is untrue?