+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newport County Documentary

Newport County Documentary

Just finished on BBC2, fair play what a story. The late David Hando, what a man, never gave up, never gave in, outstanding football icon in my opinion.

Re: Newport County Documentary

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Just finished on BBC2, fair play what a story. The late David Hando, what a man, never gave up, never gave in, outstanding football icon in my opinion.
    Was talking to one of my neighbors last year about him, when I was back.
    He apparently left his brain and body to science after he died.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Was talking to one of my neighbors last year about him, when I was back.
    He apparently left his brain and body to science after he died.
    Sludge offered the same but there's too much of one and not enough of the other.

He was a teacher at my high school…..

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Sludge offered the same but there's too much of one and not enough of the other.

BBC article on the issues here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68096720

Best wishes to County today

I hope they get a draw and get to play up at OldcTrafford and make a fortune

Was it the one with Elis James narrating from a few years ago?

Newport is very much like Middlesborough in respect of Newcastle and Sunderland

In the shadow of Cardiff and Bristol but very independent , raw at the heel and don't poke it in the eye or you will get a slap

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Newport is very much like Middlesborough in respect of Newcastle and Sunderland

In the shadow of Cardiff and Bristol but very independent , raw at the heel and don't poke it in the eye or you will get a slap
    I don’t know about that sludge they’ve always had a few nutters, more so than Swansea but they ain’t no boro who are by far the handiest fans up that way. Its a weird old place Newport, it’s like it doesn’t really exist, just sitting there completely in our shadow, surely more PL glory fans than any other town in the uk.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don’t know about that sludge they’ve always had a few nutters, more so than Swansea but they ain’t no boro who are by far the handiest fans up that way. Its a weird old place Newport, it’s like it doesn’t really exist, just sitting there completely in our shadow, surely more PL glory fans than any other town in the uk.
    A City of 160,000 just 10 miles away yet apart from visiting on business [rarely], and watching City play them, I've never had any desire to go there. It's like it doesn't exist, just drive past on the M4..

The problem County have is the lost generations of fans when they were playing in the farmers fields

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    A City of 160,000 just 10 miles away yet apart from visiting on business [rarely], and watching City play them, I've never had any desire to go there. It's like it doesn't exist, just drive past on the M4..
    It's like a mini cardiff really

Without the poncey wine bars

It's like a mini cardiff really

Without the poncey wine bars
    It’s not really, not at all…..it’s just grim. It’s the city that doesn’t exist

It’s no different to most provincial towns across the UK.
    The Centre has undoubtedly taken a nose dive over the last 20 years or so, but again so have most provincial towns.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    It's a cracker.Even my Mrs laughed.

It's very much similar to Cardiff without the investment Cardiff has had

Butetown .....Pill

Ely ....Ringland or Bettws

Butetown .....Pill

I had sexual relations with a chick from Ringland.To think that was 50 years ago.The mind boogles.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I had sexual relations with a chick from Ringland.To think that was 50 years ago.The mind boogles.
    She's probably still at it

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I’m 50 and my Mam used to go up the Ringland Club :)

I’m 50 and my Mam used to go up the Ringland Club :)
    That tower block was where Nathan Blake lived I think after growing up in Cardiff

That tower block was where Nathan Blake lived I think after growing up in Cardiff
    Think he was born in Cardiff but grew up in Newport.
    He was a year or so above me and played for Spencer Boys Club and I believe Milton Jr School in Ringland.

Butetown .....Pill

Two similar traits, perhaps the only ones? Newports small, city centre is shocking, no civic centre, castle ground, no uni’s? Any student population? Decent suburbs? Bay Area? Cardiff has plenty of nice areas, lots of parks etc….big events, any in Newport? Ever? There is no comparison and even on a football level we only became rivals briefly in a time we were on our knees in the lower leagues, which sums it up nicely.

Think he was born in Cardiff but grew up in Newport.
    He was a year or so above me and played for Spencer Boys Club and I believe Milton Jr School in Ringland.
    Cardiff born , Cardiff family

Uncle was Clive sullivan , British Rugby league captain

Mother moved to Newport when blakey was a youngster I think

I always thought he was Newport born and bred