+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newport County Documentary

Re: Newport County Documentary

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Two similar traits, perhaps the only ones? Newports small, city centre is shocking, no civic centre, castle ground, no uni’s? Any student population? Decent suburbs? Bay Area? Cardiff has plenty of nice areas, lots of parks etc….big events, any in Newport? Ever? There is no comparison and even on a football level we only became rivals briefly in a time we were on our knees in the lower leagues, which sums it up nicely.
    Newport has a proud working class history and very multi racial , like Cardiff

Port city like Cardiff.....baseball ....Big Irish community

Some great industrial history

I would rather live in Newport than a lot of other cities up and down the country

Swindon , Stoke , barnsley

Two similar traits, perhaps the only ones? Newports small, city centre is shocking, no civic centre, castle ground, no uni’s? Any student population? Decent suburbs? Bay Area? Cardiff has plenty of nice areas, lots of parks etc….big events, any in Newport? Ever? There is no comparison and even on a football level we only became rivals briefly in a time we were on our knees in the lower leagues, which sums it up nicely.
    I’ve got no desire to compare Newport to Cardiff as Cardiff is a lovely City with a lot going for it.

You are pretty much wrong on every count you’ve mentioned though.

3 nice parks in Newport.
    No Bay or Waterfront sadly, there was talk of an Usk barrage which was sadly scuppered.
    There has been a student population in Newport for decades. The art college particularly was pretty well thought of I believe.

Alt-y-Ryn, Christchurch and Caerleon are nice enough areas.

There is a Civic Centre behind the train station.

There is an albeit dilapidated Castle on the outskirts of the City Centre.
    An historical Cathedral in the City Centre and if anybody could be arsed to look above the facias of the pound shops, they would see lovely architecture.

20 Years ago, Newport Town Centre was vibrant in the day and night.
    Sadly, it’s no longer what it was although people are making efforts despite the woeful council.

Newport has held The Ryder Cup and a NATO Conference…both pretty big deals.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

I would rather live in Newport than a lot of other cities up and down the country

Didn't especially mind Newport County back than (I watched us home away against them early 80s - Somerton Park kettling and all lol) but it turned for me when I saw them against my most local league team at Crawley. I'd never seen anything remotely like an issue down there before until a Newport mob turned up and strolled into the home end and starting hitting everyone. Thing is, no one there had experienced that before. Left a bitter anti-welsh feeling down there, which still annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Didn't especially mind Newport County back than (I watched us home away against them early 80s - Somerton Park kettling and all lol) but it turned for me when I saw them against my most local league team at Crawley. I'd never seen anything remotely like an issue down there before until a Newport mob turned up and strolled into the home end and starting hitting everyone. Thing is, no one there had experienced that before. Left a bitter anti-welsh feeling down there, which still annoys me.
    I think our lot behaved the same way in places like Torquay , Aldershot etc

In newports case a lot of the places they visited were sleepy towns very much unlike newport

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Nonesense it's a sh!thole.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Nonesense it's a sh!thole.
    No, it isn’t.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    No, it isn’t.
    Subjective!

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I’ve got no desire to compare Newport to Cardiff as Cardiff is a lovely City with a lot going for it.

You are pretty much wrong on every count you’ve mentioned though.

3 nice parks in Newport.
    No Bay or Waterfront sadly, there was talk of an Usk barrage which was sadly scuppered.
    There has been a student population in Newport for decades. The art college particularly was pretty well thought of I believe.

Alt-y-Ryn, Christchurch and Caerleon are nice enough areas.

There is a Civic Centre behind the train station.

There is an albeit dilapidated Castle on the outskirts of the City Centre.
    An historical Cathedral in the City Centre and if anybody could be arsed to look above the facias of the pound shops, they would see lovely architecture.

20 Years ago, Newport Town Centre was vibrant in the day and night.
    Sadly, it’s no longer what it was although people are making efforts despite the woeful council.

Newport has held The Ryder Cup and a NATO Conference…both pretty big deals.
    Happy to be corrected about Newport as despite being so close I know very little about it, as I say, it’s like it’s not there….
    When I say parks, I don’t mean your average park, has it got anything like the castle grounds that runs for miles from the centre to the edge? There’s 40,000 plus students in Cardiff which add a massive amount to the life of the city, how many live in Newport?
    I’m sure it has a few nice suburbs most places do…..a run down castle and a civic centre I’ve never seen or heard of also sums the place up well…its a bit like Swansea in some ways, you can throw all sorts of money at the place but its just a dump.

Happy to be corrected about Newport as despite being so close I know very little about it, as I say, it’s like it’s not there….
    When I say parks, I don’t mean your average park, has it got anything like the castle grounds that runs for miles from the centre to the edge? There’s 40,000 plus students in Cardiff which add a massive amount to the life of the city, how many live in Newport?
    I’m sure it has a few nice suburbs most places do…..a run down castle and a civic centre I’ve never seen or heard of also sums the place up well…its a bit like Swansea in some ways, you can throw all sorts of money at the place but its just a dump.
    If I could turn back the years I would have gone to university in Swansea

Stay away from the town and all the jacks and just pop into the train station to come home for the weekend or go and watch city

Sketty , uplands are quite chilled , the mumbles is out of the way and the gower is cool

Very few bands play there though

Newport is rougher at the edges than Cardiff but it used to have plenty of good music venues

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I’m 50 and my Mam used to go up the Ringland Club :)
    Is that a euphemism?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Is that a euphemism?
    If you have a ribald mind, I guess it could well be :)