+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FT: WATFORD 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: WATFORD v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yeah, they changed formation. And as the home team they have to pile the pressure on in the final 25 minutes or so when they're losing. Colwill is definitely an 'Out' he's supposed to be, that's his job. he's allowed more freedom than any pf our midfield players, he's allowed to drop in, move across the line in search for the ball, He's got to do that because he's supposed to be our creative player in midfield. He was tired as well, he covers some ground under bulut.
    Not that I get to see every game so others know better but from the games I’ve seen today of him he seemed more of a midfielder today rather than a 10. He wasn’t waiting for the ball, he was more involved and put in the hard graft and generally used the ball well in the right areas.

Colwill very involved today, practically demanding the ball on times in the first half. He has the ability to be such a threat, seemed to have been given a bit more freedom by Bulut today, or did he take it upon himself to get more involved?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    No it isnt.
    Good insight

Re: FT: WATFORD 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Colwill is definitely rounding out his game under Bulut, it’s good to see. Final product didn’t quite work out for him, but otherwise thought he had an excellent game.

Turnbull ran his arse off when he came on but had some dodgy touches, ironically the complete opposite of what the Celtic fans were saying.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Colwill very involved today, practically demanding the ball on times in the first half. He has the ability to be such a threat, seemed to have been given a bit more freedom by Bulut today, or did he take it upon himself to get more involved?
    The one thing that is good about Colwill getting regular playing time is that we can now see what he's about, his attributes and his weaknesses. We can make a judgement on him.

Yeah, they changed formation. And as the home team they have to pile the pressure on in the final 25 minutes or so when they're losing. Colwill is definitely an 'Out' he's supposed to be, that's his job. he's allowed more freedom than any pf our midfield players, he's allowed to drop in, move across the line in search for the ball, He's got to do that because he's supposed to be our creative player in midfield. He was tired as well, he covers some ground under bulut.
    I love the fact that Colwill is being seen as an important part of our team. This must have a lot to do with Bulut.

With the new players, and Ramsey, how far can he go? He's been battling in a poor squad. The current one might not be so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Etete looks like a parks player, he's stealing a living here
    He disappoints every time I see him :-(

And yet the blokes on VFTN podcast rate him, which is just bizarre…..

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I suppose that's why teams retain an interest in Bowler. I thought he'd been pretty useless up to that point and almost gave it away with his first touch leading to the goal. But there we are. Nice work if you can get it.
    He was dreadful and then scored a banger from nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    A simple finish according to the Watford commentators

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    I love the fact that Colwill is being seen as an important part of our team. This must have a lot to do with Bulut.

With the new players, and Ramsey, how far can he go? He's been battling in a poor squad. The current one might not be so poor.

Bulut has increased his work load, that's for sure. Colwill does have obvious talent, but i'm not completely convinced just yet. He's a better player in my opinion when he doesn't have time to think. He also needs to produce a bit more in the final third when the opportunity arises. He has a stride but no turn of pace, something that causes him problems from time to time. He's still developing, and i do think that for him to improve and become even better he's going to have to change his game a bit. He makes plenty of runs, and sometimes i don't think it suits his style. Standing still and just moving a few yards would be better for him in my opinion, he's not a a player that should or can play a hectic style of football. That's on bulut though.

He's coming on though. The next 18 months will define him as a player and where his future lies. Good luck to him.

Before his goal I was thinking Etete and Bowler needed to get the hook at half-time.

Bulut has increased his work load, that's for sure. Colwill does have obvious talent, but i'm not completely convinced just yet. He's a better player in my opinion when he doesn't have time to think. He also needs to produce a bit more in the final third when the opportunity arises. He has a stride but no turn of pace, something that causes him problems from time to time. He's still developing, and i do think that for him to improve and become even better he's going to have to change his game a bit. He makes plenty of runs, and sometimes i don't think it suits his style. Standing still and just moving a few yards would be better for him in my opinion, he's not a a player that should or can play a hectic style of football. That's on bulut though.

He's coming on though. The next 18 months will define him as a player and where his future lies. Good luck to him.
    He had a good game today and looked like he was enjoying himself. I wanted him to take that free kick that Ng put wide as I think his confidence was up and a goal would have really helped him.

Objectively, he was part of a pretty feeble attacking performance that lacked cohesion but hopefully he can get a run of games and build on today's showing.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Before his goal I was thinking Etete and Bowler needed to get the hook at half-time.
    Everyone was!

Everyone was!
    Bowler is an odd one, before his goal he was involved but it wasn’t quite clicking, poor passes, touches but at the same time he was getting involved down that side. A confident Bowler could be huge.

I do feel like we have worked a lot on our shape, we looked brighter until they made a triple sub. I think we sat back to much but who doesn’t at 1-0.

But if that was us playing like Watford everyone would say we could be there all night and not score. Alnick had a few camera saves but nothing you wouldn’t expect him to save.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Bowler is an odd one, before his goal he was involved but it wasn’t quite clicking, poor passes, touches but at the same time he was getting involved down that side. A confident Bowler could be huge.

I do feel like we have worked a lot on our shape, we looked brighter until they made a triple sub. I think we sat back to much but who doesn’t at 1-0.

But if that was us playing like Watford everyone would say we could be there all night and not score. Alnick had a few camera saves but nothing you wouldn’t expect him to save.
    True but, as someone else said on here, prior to Bowler scoring I’d have happily subbed all three of our attacking players. The first half was poor but we looked decent for the first 15 mins of the second half.

Resolute defending and some luck meant we got away with it but the last half hour was very nervy and Watford had easily the better of the first half.

It wasn’t convincingly at all to me but I’ll take the win.

(I thought that the young left back from Man City looked all over the place when he came on and Watford clearly targeted JC in the first half)

True but, as someone else said on here, prior to Bowler scoring I’d have happily subbed all three of our attacking players. The first half was poor but we looked decent for the first 15 mins of the second half.

Resolute defending and some luck meant we got away with it but the last half hour was very nervy and Watford had easily the better of the first half.

It wasn’t convincingly at all to me but I’ll take the win.

(I thought that the young left back from Man City looked all over the place when he came on and Watford clearly targeted JC in the first half)
    I missed the first 20mins of the first half and kinda agreed until the goal although still felt we looked decent. Colwill had a decent shot and Etete had a moment he should have done bette with.

Thought Man City guy was decent but I don’t think we will see him at left back, the one pass in behind him he had no idea where he was.

People critisizng Etete ...hardly surprising on this forum tbh so im not surprised but I am left wondering exactly what they thought he shouldve done better?

He is no world beater, but then hes young too. He is CLEARLY told to sit in deep and focus on his defensive duties from the front..he seems to be every where but waiting up front like a typical striker. What kind of striking opportunities are you expecting him to create doing this kind of dogged (an imo bullshit) role?

tldr? use your eyes and actually read between the lines a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    People critisizng Etete ...hardly surprising on this forum tbh so im not surprised but I am left wondering exactly what they thought he shouldve done better?

He is no world beater, but then hes young too. He is CLEARLY told to sit in deep and focus on his defensive duties from the front..he seems to be every where but waiting up front like a typical striker. What kind of striking opportunities are you expecting him to create doing this kind of dogged (an imo bullshit) role?

tldr? use your eyes and actually read between the lines a bit
    How about for starters:

Use his considerable size to out muscle his marker. Just once maybe.

Control the ball.

Not conceded possession so easily and regularly.

Pass to his team mates.

I’m not even asking him to score…..

How about for starters:

Use his considerable size to out muscle his marker. Just once maybe.

Control the ball.

Not conceded possession so easily and regularly.

Pass to his team mates.

I’m not even asking him to score…..
    if these are his weaknesses ...why the hell are we putting him in a role to do that MORE? stop getting him to drop deep. Every time he lost the ball as you say..he was sitting real deep trying to tidy up our non existent midfield. And that is not the first time this season either!

he clearly knows how to dance through a few defenders. He clearly can strike the ball well when in the box. He has some composure.

Have him press their defenders sure...but dont make him drop into our own half..dont put him on the near post defending corners just because hes big..why not trust the defenders to defender and yknow get our strikers some service to do their bit

is it really rocket science like 90% of this forum thinks? open your eyes

if these are his weaknesses ...why the hell are we putting him in a role to do that MORE? stop getting him to drop deep. Every time he lost the ball as you say..he was sitting real deep trying to tidy up our non existent midfield. And that is not the first time this season either!

he clearly knows how to dance through a few defenders. He clearly can strike the ball well when in the box. He has some composure.

Have him press their defenders sure...but dont make him drop into our own half..dont put him on the near post defending corners just because hes big..why not trust the defenders to defender and yknow get our strikers some service to do their bit
    Jeezzzz.

A question for those knocking Etete, why do you think Bulut kept him on for eighty one minutes when he usually takes him off after about an hour?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A question for those knocking Etete, why do you think Bulut kept him on for eighty one minutes when he usually takes him off after about an hour?
    Work rate Bob. He puts a shift in. I think the word 'knocking' is a little unfair, it sounds like people are picking on him. I think that the criticism is merited, although it should only go on for so long. Although i did compare him to Jarvis cocker, which is uncalled for.

Work rate Bob. He puts a shift in. I think the word 'knocking' is a little unfair, it sounds like people are picking on him. I think that the criticism is merited, although it should only go on for so long. Although i did compare him to Jarvis cocker, which is uncalled for.
    I think the criticism has increased a lot in the last six weeks or so and I tried to set out a bit of an alternative argument in my blog piece because I believe asking a young striker to succeed in a team which sets up like we’ve been doing in recent months is almost impossible. Diedhiou is an experienced international player who has succeeded in this division in the past, but, apart from a few headers flicked on, he was unable to carry out many of the basic striker functions. I don’t blame him for that because he was left to cope by himself with the service to him poor. In a way,that was to be expected as we were intent on protecting a lead late in the game, but was the task Diedhiou faced that much different to what Etete experiences when he starts? Whoever plays as our number nine gets left isolated even in home matches.

I agree that it was work rate which kept Etete on as long as that. I’m not sure I’d want my striker dropping back to play right back even if we’re one up, but I reckon Bulut would have loved that aspect of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think the criticism has increased a lot in the last six weeks or so and I tried to set out a bit of an alternative argument in my blog piece because I believe asking a young striker to succeed in a team which sets up like we’ve been doing in recent months is almost impossible. Diedhiou is an experienced international player who has succeeded in this division in the past, but, apart from a few headers flicked on, he was unable to carry out many of the basic striker functions. I don’t blame him for that because he was left to cope by himself with the service to him poor. In a way,that was to be expected as we were intent on protecting a lead late in the game, but was the task Diedhiou faced that much different to what Etete experiences when he starts? Whoever plays as our number nine gets left isolated even in home matches.

I agree that it was work rate which kept Etete on as long as that. I’m not sure I’d want my striker dropping back to play right back even if we’re one up, but I reckon Bulut would have loved that aspect of his game.
    Etete ran around a lot and defended well especially in the second half.

That said Diedhiou won more in the air in the time that he was on than Etete did all game. Maybe it was because he was fresher but at least he posed some sort of physical threat.

Another poster above mentioned that Etete has instinct in front of goal (when given the chance) - he was provided with a really decent opportunity in the first half yesterday just outside the box on the right hand side (by Colwill, I think) and just fell over claiming a foul…..

is it really rocket science like 90% of this forum thinks? open your eyes
    Look we all really want him to do well but this sounds like another striker being excused because of our style of play but this time under a different manager (see Bobby G under a host of different managers)

At some stage the player has to take responsibility and we have to accept that he is or isn’t good enough.