+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Celtic's forum (Re: David Turnbull)

Re: Looking at Celtic's forum (Re: David Turnbull)

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Er.... no. It closes in the UK at 11.00 pm tonight (January window closes February).
    Id wager he was on a wind up

As for his pace as others have mentioned, I don't recall Tomlin or Whitts being blessed with pace. As long as he can find his attacking team mates with a pass I'm not arsed how fast he can do a 100yd dash

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Scottish football is running around chasing the ball like a load of 7 year olds.
    If you don’t follow suit, the natives won’t like you .
    Celtic and Rangers are way better than us

Celtic fans are terribly fickle with their players. He was their player of the year a couple of years ago. I think as someone has said here a fresh club could be ideal to regain his form. Also he's not a quick player but he never has been so it's not as if one of his key attributes is on the decline - he has other abilies that make up for it I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    We have a long history of signing Scottish players and by and large they've done very well for us. Just a few of our super Scots.....Don Murray, Ian Gibson, Kevin McNaughton, Ross McCormack, Don Cowie, Greg Farrell, Chris Burke, David Marshall etc etc
    Jimmy the Jock

Jay Bothroyd was ridiculed by fans of some of his former clubs, did ok for us.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    So technically great, but no pace. Sounds like Colwill.
    Sounds like Marlon Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    To be honest, it doesn't make for good reading. It's not just one or two who have negative comments to say about him, it would seem the majority.

These are all separate comments taken from the Kerrydale Street forum.

He is a superstar at walking football.

That's lower league levels of pace.

Cardiff fan on a non-football forum I go on confirmed that they play terrible, slow, ponderous football, so Turnbull will be right at home.

The most uninspiring Celtic player in the last decade. Slow, lazy, one footed. He’s incredibly dull. Technically he’s decent, but his overall game is awful.

Should be sitting in the stands until his contract runs out, garbage*

How can someone so slow be playing professional football.

He’s too slow for lawn bowls never mind professional football.

The carrot is stealing a living as a footballer. His attitude will take him to the lower reaches of the pyramid and will be playing non league as his ability and application deserve.

It's one thing being painfully slow but when you're also a lazy bastard with absolutely no heart and no fight in you... well, it's not good.*

Cause for concern or will it be a case of a player just needing a change of scenery to bring out the best in him?
    Hopefully the Celtic version of Charlie Adams

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Celtic fans are terribly fickle with their players. He was their player of the year a couple of years ago. I think as someone has said here a fresh club could be ideal to regain his form. Also he's not a quick player but he never has been so it's not as if one of his key attributes is on the decline - he has other abilies that make up for it I'm sure
    Arguably our best ever player wasn’t quick.

Fans tend to be the best judges of a player imo so it doesn’t sound very promising. Oxford fans would’ve only had to look at this board to work out what was to come with Josh Murphy, Mark Harris etc

I always remember when we signed Rossco and the forums went into melt down at his awful record in Scotland and what did we want him for. Let’s judge him on what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post
    Fans tend to be the best judges of a player imo so it doesn’t sound very promising. Oxford fans would’ve only had to look at this board to work out what was to come with Josh Murphy, Mark Harris etc
    You could question though whether forums represent the views of the fanbase generally. They can be dominated by quite a small cross section who like to bang on and on. Present company excluded naturally.

We really aren't. One example of the top of my head is a big hunk of our fanbase rating Harry Arter as a better player than Victor Camarasa

Harris has done alright at Oxford

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We really aren't. One example of the top of my head is a big hunk of our fanbase rating Harry Arter as a better player than Victor Camarasa

Did that really happen? Arter was an awful player, shocking. Camarasa was shit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

I don’t really remember that as everyone loved camarasa but I think most genuine fans you will get an accurate description.

And agreed on Harris, which is what most fans said, that was my point. He seems to be performing exactly how everyone said.

TBF what you can't get from grainy YouTube videos and seeing a player every other Saturday isn't worth knowing.

Clubs are pissing money up the wall on full time coaches and managers. Should just rock up on a Saturday and pick your best 11 that's there.

Fans tend to be the best judges of a player imo
    You serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    TBF what you can't get from grainy YouTube videos and seeing a player every other Saturday isn't worth knowing.

Clubs are pissing money up the wall on full time coaches and managers. Should just rock up on a Saturday and pick your best 11 that's there.
    Seeing a player "every other Saturday" is a lot more time than what a scout would spend on recommending a player to the club he scouts for, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You serious?
    I would agree with him. Overall, fans are good judges of players they watch week after week. if anyone on here owned a football club then none of them would have paid 8 million for Zohore, nor even 2 million. West Brom did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I would agree with him. Overall, fans are good judges of players they watch week after week. if anyone on here owned a football club then none of them would have paid 8 million for Zohore, nor even 2 million. West Brom did.
    But you can't say that.

I mean, us football fans just pay for a ticket, turn up to watch, but have no knowledge of the game whatsoever, because we didn't play professional football, apparently.

The fans were unanimous in their feelings about the likes of Gary Madine, and even recently the 'keeper we just sent back to Arsenal (perhaps Man City will put an offer in for him).

Seeing a player "every other Saturday" is a lot more time than what a scout would spend on recommending a player to the club he scouts for, surely?
    I'd have thought they'd spend hours watching footage that we don't have access to and observe a lot more than every other week.

They'd also know exactly what type of player a coach wants to fit into his system, plus would have an idea on the personality of the player from industry contacts.

I mean, us football fans just pay for a ticket, turn up to watch, but have no knowledge of the game whatsoever, because we didn't play professional football, apparently.
    Players and coaches at a professional level see the game differently than casual fans.

I'd have thought they'd spend hours watching footage that we don't have access to and observe a lot more than every other week.

They'd also know exactly what type of player a coach wants to fit into his system, plus would have an idea on the personality of the player from industry contacts.
    More to the point, they'll be able to spot things about a player than the average fan would have no idea about.

But you can't say that.

The fans were unanimous in their feelings about the likes of Gary Madine, and even recently the 'keeper we just sent back to Arsenal (perhaps Man City will put an offer in for him).
    Fans aren't far wrong for the best part. We may not see or 'get' certain intricacies on occasion, but thankfully, football is a simple game, and we as fans can see what is in front of us for the best part. It's snobbery, and the rise of 24 hr football punditry bullshit seems to have suckered in plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    More to the point, they'll be able to spot things about a player than the average fan would have no idea about.
    Which was my next post. Players and coaches at a pro level see the game differently to casual fans.

I'm friends with pro rugby coaches and ex Welsh internationals. I've coached rugby and football and the insights they give you is such an eye opener.

It's night and day.

Players and coaches at a professional level see the game differently than casual fans.
    That is true, they will see intricacies, movement, and intelligence. those things are harder to spot. although if those things don't come off for a considerable amount of time, then that player is going to look a bit shit, and fans can see that.