+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Men Of Harlech! Should the song be....

Men Of Harlech! Should the song be....

....confined to the dustbin of history along with that shite film Zulu. For me, I'd happily see both disappear. I did come across this article in Nation Cymru during my research about this and thought it a very thought-provoking article.
    https://nation.cymru/opinion/men-of-...ritish-empire/

Re: Men Of Harlech! Should the song be....

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    ....confined to the dustbin of history along with that shite film Zulu. For me, I'd happily see both disappear. I did come across this article in Nation Cymru during my research about this and thought it a very thought-provoking article.
    I have always said that there is an irony in Welsh people disassociating themselves from the British Empire....

No.

It's an interesting article. But it's like someone coming up to a family having a nice picnic and asking them why they are having a nice time. Don't they realise what their ancestors did in 1821 and 1436, and then going on to tell them some horror stories with no context or balance.

Is the way that empires were formed (essentially b force) good? No. Would it be acceptable today? No. Was there good and bad in the whole history of the British empire? Absolutely. History is never a black and white issue and the idea that fooball fans should be guilt tripped into not singing a popular anthem in 2024 is absurd and divisive.

Wales has at times been in conflict with England, at times at peace.Same as England itself! The oversimplifcation of history and the subsequent layering of it on today's society is really frustrating IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No.

It's an interesting article. But it's like someone coming up to a family having a nice picnic and asking them why they are having a nice time. Don't they realise what their ancestors did in 1821 and 1436, and then going on to tell them some horror stories with no context or balance.

Is the way that empires were formed (essentially b force) good? No. Would it be acceptable today? No. Was there good and bad in the whole history of the British empire? Absolutely. History is never a black and white issue and the idea that fooball fans should be guilt tripped into not singing a popular anthem in 2024 is absurd and divisive
    I agreed with you right up until the last sentence. That was a very reasoned response but just because something is divisive doesn't mean it's wrong to discuss or raise it. Whether it's absurd or not is subjective. Nobody's guilt-tripping.

you Woke up early today Personally, I think rugby should be confined to the dustbin, but that's a whole new kettle of fish!

I agreed with you right up until the last sentence. That was a very reasoned response but just because something is divisive doesn't mean it's wrong to discuss or raise it. Whether it's absurd or not is subjective. Nobody's guilt-tripping.
    I agree, there's nothing wrong with raising it or discussing it. But I think the starting point for some is 'British Empire: bad' and everything flows from that. It's not a valid starting point to begin with, and the idea that everything must be tied to it is also very questionable as a great many symbols, songs, words, ideas, cultures etc evolve over time. It's like saying anyone in India who likes Cricket is a colonialist who supports the British Empire.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with raising it or discussing it. But I think the starting point for some is 'British Empire: bad' and everything flows from that. It's not a valid starting point to begin with, and the idea that everything must be tied to it is also very questionable as a great many symbols, songs, words, ideas, cultures etc evolve over time. It's like saying anyone in India who likes Cricket is a colonialist who supports the British Empire.
    New Zealand need to be pulled up too for their warmongering Haka. And while we are at it scrums and tackling need to be binned as well, because all of that male aggression scares my wife and children. Let's make the game more inclusive, and a gentle tap on the shoulder could be used to signal a loss of possession. Come on people we are better that this, and together we can make it happen

So because a centuries-old Welsh folk song was sung in a film about British aggression it should be ditched?

This pitiful article epitomises the two-faced sh!t-stirrer that is Ifan Morgan Jones. A slippery narcissist who pretends to be a Welsh nationalist but is more interested in his ego and bank balance.

He should be binned as well as his sorry excuse for a Welsh website.

And yes, I know that he isn't the author of this abomination, but he rubber-stamped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    New Zealand need to be pulled up too for their warmongering Haka. And while we are at it scrums and tackling need to be binned as well, because all of that male aggression scares my wife and children. Let's make the game more inclusive, and a gentle tap on the shoulder could be used to signal a loss of possession. Come on people we are better that this, and together we can make it happen
    Who's been boffing those snarky pills today then? Have a day off. Detox.

Not read the article but i knew this day was coming

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    Not read the article but i knew this day was coming
    Can't talk now....I'm watching the football! Laters!

you Woke up early today Personally, I think rugby should be confined to the dustbin, but that's a whole new kettle of fish!
    I'd been up since 5am. Was bored. Didn't want to disappoint. Forgot to add that they should all have to give their VCs back.

That’s the spirit! 👍😛🙌❤️

I detest the song and wish it could be reserved for Wales matches rather than City ones. Give me "Pick & Shovel" any day

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I detest the song and wish it could be reserved for Wales matches rather than City ones. Give me "Pick & Shovel" any day
    Why do you "detest" it Dorcus?

Who's been boffing those snarky pills today then? Have a day off. Detox.
    I guess I'm just boring from within.

Let's not cancel history wherever it took us or offends , we're better knowing ..

As to Welsh folk and British Empire association, you'd be shocked how deeply invested were if you dug deep .

Think a few welsh plantations had a few slaves hence the Welsh surname being so dominat on black Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Pick and shovel should be banned for glorifying climate destruction in my opinion.

Pick and shovel should be banned for glorifying climate destruction in my opinion.
    We should just ban everything. Welcome to the future!

We should just ban everything. Welcome to the future!
    Yes, its bleak, which is why I object to nearly all of these kind of things. Talking about the history and meaning is interesting but I don't like the aspiration to ban things or the entire unproven theory that somehow these things are dangerous or contributing factors to discrimination etc. in most cases I think it's the opposite.

Yes, its bleak, which is why I object to nearly all of these kind of things. Talking about the history and meaning is interesting but I don't like the aspiration to ban things or the entire unproven theory that somehow these things are dangerous or contributing factors to discrimination etc. in most cases I think it's the opposite.
    If you know your history, it's essential for the long march through the institutions.

If you know your history, it's essential for the long march through the institutions.
    That quote is attributed to albanian/italian communist whose name is Gramsci i think. He, along with the "Frankfurt School" plotted the destruction of White countries by playing the long tactic with a "long march through the institutions" this long term strategy came after communism failed to take over Europe during ww1. The "Fankfurt School" is a very interesting topic.

"The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people." "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." "Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks." Mr Marx

"The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people." "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." "Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks." Mr Marx
    Full Marx for the spot. 💯

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    That quote is attributed to albanian/italian communist whose name is Gramsci i think. He, along with the "Frankfurt School" plotted the destruction of White countries by playing the long tactic with a "long march through the institutions" this long term strategy came after communism failed to take over Europe during ww1. The "Fankfurt School" is a very interesting topic.
    Another interesting aspect is the role of the useful idiots, and the way they are exploited..