+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Men Of Harlech! Should the song be....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Men Of Harlech! Should the song be....

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    ....confined to the dustbin of history along with that shite film Zulu. For me, I'd happily see both disappear. I did come across this article in Nation Cymru during my research about this and thought it a very thought-provoking article.
    https://nation.cymru/opinion/men-of-...ritish-empire/
    No.

It's an interesting article. But it's like someone coming up to a family having a nice picnic and asking them why they are having a nice time. Don't they realise what their ancestors did in 1821 and 1436, and then going on to tell them some horror stories with no context or balance.

Is the way that empires were formed (essentially b force) good? No. Would it be acceptable today? No. Was there good and bad in the whole history of the British empire? Absolutely. History is never a black and white issue and the idea that fooball fans should be guilt tripped into not singing a popular anthem in 2024 is absurd and divisive.

Wales has at times been in conflict with England, at times at peace.Same as England itself! The oversimplifcation of history and the subsequent layering of it on today's society is really frustrating IMO.

Re: Men Of Harlech! Should the song be....

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No.

It's an interesting article. But it's like someone coming up to a family having a nice picnic and asking them why they are having a nice time. Don't they realise what their ancestors did in 1821 and 1436, and then going on to tell them some horror stories with no context or balance.

Is the way that empires were formed (essentially b force) good? No. Would it be acceptable today? No. Was there good and bad in the whole history of the British empire? Absolutely. History is never a black and white issue and the idea that fooball fans should be guilt tripped into not singing a popular anthem in 2024 is absurd and divisive
    I agreed with you right up until the last sentence. That was a very reasoned response but just because something is divisive doesn't mean it's wrong to discuss or raise it. Whether it's absurd or not is subjective. Nobody's guilt-tripping.