+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substitutions

Substitutions

I don't mean to post a seemingly negative thread after a win but is anyone else left bewildered by some of Bulut's use of subs?

There's been a few games this season where the shape changes have led to negative results and the choice of players to be replaced have usually been our better players. Today for example I thought Colwill was the best player on the pitch for either side and the game completely changed once he went off (although he could've been blowing/injured I'm not sure). I also thought JC had one of his better games all season before going off. Think we were fortunate to hold on in the end thankfully.

Not looking to rip into Bulut for the sake of it as think overall he's doing a great job but definitely an area for concern all year in my eyes.

Re: Substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by Bothroyd's Diving Coach View Post
    I don't mean to post a seemingly negative thread after a win but is anyone else left bewildered by some of Bulut's use of subs?

There's been a few games this season where the shape changes have led to negative results and the choice of players to be replaced have usually been our better players. Today for example I thought Colwill was the best player on the pitch for either side and the game completely changed once he went off (although he could've been blowing/injured I'm not sure). I also thought JC had one of his better games all season before going off. Think we were fortunate to hold on in the end thankfully.

Not looking to rip into Bulut for the sake of it as think overall he's doing a great job but definitely an area for concern all year in my eyes.
    Radio Wales and Radio Cymru were both highly critical of substituting Colwill. Gabbs thought it was a trust issue, that Bulut didn't trust Colwill to get the defensive side of the game right when they were under pressure.

Maybe because he was on a yellow and he was tiring.

Colwill was booked which was probably part of the thinking although I agree he was playing well. I think the game changes more on the 3 Watford subs coming on 3 minutes later rather than the Colwill one.

Agree about Collins, did well today but for me Sub was spot on Phillips came on into the middle and won a few good headers as they chucked things into the box. Good management.

A number of times I agree he has made strange/poor subs, today thought he was spot on for me.

Can't really disagree, although Colwill did seem to be "losing the plot" with the referee as the number of fouls on him rose - hence the silly booking for dissent. Bulut changed the shape to go five at the back and Wilson-Esbrand was clearly fresher for the LB role so I'd suggest that was why Collins was replaced by Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Can't really disagree, although Colwill did seem to be "losing the plot" with the referee as the number of fouls on him rose - hence the silly booking for dissent. Bulut changed the shape to go five at the back and Wilson-Esbrand was clearly fresher for the LB role so I'd suggest that was why Collins was replaced by Phillips.
    Wilson-Esbrand fitted in seamlessly, very comfortable I thought.

Justifiably in my opinion, there’s been criticism of the way we’ve started second halves this season, but today was a total contrast. We tore out of the blocks and our attacking press was as impressive as I’ve seen it for fifteen minutes or so. Colwill was at the heart of this and I’ve just written in my blog piece that it was as close as I’ve seen to him running a game in his career. I wonder if Bulut may have told Colwill at half time to give everything right from the start because he would be coming off after an hour?

If there was no such plan, then I admit it was odd to take him off when he was playing well. I think there were other factors involved, but it is fair to say that the balance of power changed from the moment Colwill went off

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Justifiably in my opinion, there’s been criticism of the way we’ve started second halves this season, but today was a total contrast. We tore out of the blocks and our attacking press was as impressive as I’ve seen it for fifteen minutes or so. Colwill was at the heart of this and I’ve just written in my blog piece that it was as close as I’ve seen to him running a game in his career. I wonder if Bulut may have told Colwill at half time to give everything right from the start because he would be coming off after an hour?

If there was no such plan, then I admit it was odd to take him off when he was playing well. I think there were other factors involved, but it is fair to say that the balance of power changed from the moment Colwill went off
    I think i may be calling it wrong, because in my opinion Colwill was a mix in terms of possession. He made a couple of poor passes and got caught a couple of times in possession quite easily. To counter that, he turned a Watford player beautifully and got the foul during the first half and was involved in most of the things that were positive, if not spectacular.

It's been mentioned previously, but it looked like he was a man on a mission today, he was everywhere, dropping deep, across the line etc. An urgency about his play, so you may well be right about him coming off after an hour, although if that was the case i don't like it, unless a player is coming back from a spell out. He looked tired to me, and he was playing deeper with his back to goal, not his preferred position. I think Bulut hooked him for those reasons.

Thought the substitutions was spot on. As for Colwill he is not a 90 minute player and could cost you a goal as he tires . The game changed as the opposition got a lot better.

Let's not forget they are unbeaten in 7 and have a much better squad.

Manager did well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think i may be calling it wrong, because in my opinion Colwill was a mix in terms of possession. He made a couple of poor passes and got caught a couple of times in possession quite easily. To counter that, he turned a Watford player beautifully and got the foul during the first half and was involved in most of the things that were positive, if not spectacular.

It's been mentioned previously, but it looked like he was a man on a mission today, he was everywhere, dropping deep, across the line etc. An urgency about his play, so you may well be right about him coming off after an hour, although if that was the case i don't like it, unless a player is coming back from a spell out. He looked tired to me, and he was playing deeper with his back to goal, not his preferred position. I think Bulut hooked him for those reasons.
    I’ve said much the same as you in my blog, I thought it was a step up from Colwill, but it wasn’t a complete performance because, having used his skill on a few occasions to create space where he could open up the Watford defence with the right decision or pass, he was careless in the first half especially - I thought it was significant how often the other players wanted to get the ball to him as if they knew he was “on it” and influencing things rather than just occasionally decorating the game.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I thought that he was all over the place!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve said much the same as you in my blog, I thought it was a step up from Colwill, but it wasn’t a complete performance because, having used his skill on a few occasions to create space where he could open up the Watford defence with the right decision or pass, he was careless in the first half especially - I thought it was significant how often the other players wanted to get the ball to him as if they knew he was “on it” and influencing things rather than just occasionally decorating the game.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    exactly what i was thinking lol!

perhaps some of the forum visitors arent actually watching the game

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    He was caught ball watching for a pass that split him.In fairness though, he did compose himself and it was no easy task entering the game when Watford had thrown 2 extra attackers on.

He was caught ball watching for a pass that split him.In fairness though, he did compose himself and it was no easy task entering the game when Watford had thrown 2 extra attackers on.
    Yeah that was the one moment. I’m happy I seen enough to know he will be an asset. I don’t think we will seek him at LB.

I guess that appearance means JC also gets another year.

As I said, I thought he did well, coming on when we were under the cosh, only been with us a day or two yet fitted in. He did his job, not a good scenario for a new defender, 1-0 up away from home with the home team pressing. I reckon it’s tougher for a newcomer to come on in his position when defending a slim lead, rather than a midfielder or forward.

Colwill being booked had nothing to do with him having the shepherds hook. Bulut wanted to defend the 1 -0 and he was lucky to get away with it. I would class Bulut as a more defensive type of manager as opposed to a manager who wants to get lots of players forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Colwill being booked had nothing to do with him having the shepherds hook. Bulut wanted to defend the 1 -0 and he was lucky to get away with it. I would class Bulut as a more defensive type of manager as opposed to a manager who wants to get lots of players forward.
    If Colwill had stayed on there is a pretty good chance that we would have drawn or lost. He was tiring and on a yellow card. Football isn't just about attack by the way and it was an excellent defensive display by City. In any event, it wasn't a defensive change as he replaced him with Turnbull, an attacking midfielder who scores goals, so how you can say at that point that Bulut was going defensive is beyond me. He did shore up the centre of defence late on by putting Philips on but even then he took another defender off (Collins) who on a number of occasions recently has been caught ball watching in the box to concede goals, so it was the exact correct thing to do then. In my opinion your analysis of Buluts ‘style’ is wrong, as will be shown when Ramsey is back in the side soon with Turnbull. We are actually quite an attacking side with only Siopis, Goutas and Mcguiness that are out and out defensive players.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    If Colwill had stayed on there is a pretty good chance that we would have drawn or lost. He was tiring and on a yellow card. Football isn't just about attack by the way and it was an excellent defensive display by City. In any event, it wasn't a defensive change as he replaced him with Turnbull, an attacking midfielder who scores goals, so how you can say at that point that Bulut was going defensive is beyond me. He did shore up the centre of defence late on by putting Philips on but even then he took another defender off (Collins) who on a number of occasions recently has been caught ball watching in the box to concede goals, so it was the exact correct thing to do then. In my opinion your analysis of Buluts ‘style’ is wrong, as will be shown when Ramsey is back in the side soon with Turnbull. We are actually quite an attacking side with only Siopis, Goutas and Mcguiness that are out and out defensive players.
    #BulutFC

Colwill is not a player you want on when you’re defending the last 10 mins.

I thought he was really good yesterday also and is coming out of his bad habits but the last thing you need is someone trying a nutmeg or a 40 yard shot at 85 mins with no cover behind.

Plus, he hasn’t got the 90 minute energy yet.

No criticism but I think bringing him off with a yellow isn’t the stupidest idea ever.

I did think Wintle though looked knackered and thought he could have been subbed instead of some others.

Continually giving to ball back to the oppostion and not being able to prevent a siege due to a lack of players who can hold onto and run with the ball also isn't ideal. The opposition can't hurt us if they don't have the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I'm thinking there's a pun in there somewhere
    Maybe there is?
    Splottie, this is you being serious, right?

Let's be honest Colwills exit changed the game.
    After he we went off we didn't get out of our half.
    Good management to defend the game out? not in my book.
    The reason we won is because they couldn't hit a donkeys arse with a banjo with clear cut chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Maybe there is?
    Wilson sewing machines is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Maybe there is?
    Nope, I thought he did fine for a newcomer coming into the usual second half Cardiff City Alamo situation. Daunting for any defender I reckon.