+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barry John

Re: Barry John

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I think it is a generational thing.

People who do not remember the teams of the 70's will have their own memories of Welsh "greats".

For example Scott Gibbs. He would have got into any team in the world in his pomp, including New Zealand, and who can forget "that" try in 99 at Wembley?

Also, sport on TV, at that time there were only 3 channels and the 5 nations games shown live.
    The players of that era were household names.
    Rugby was more a game of skill in the 70's, and the players weren't as pumped up compared to the modern day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Rugby was more a game of skill in the 70's, and the players weren't as pumped up compared to the modern day.
    I know what you mean. Rugby has evolved and not for the better in many people's eyes.

Although I would say that there have been a number of good Welsh players who have still managed to bring their skills into the modern era and make the game watchable.

Gibbs being one of those, Shane Williams another.
    Jonathan Davies made a massive success of going up north in what is considered and accepted a much tougher code.

Younger people will mention these before BJ, Gareth Edwards, JPR et al.

As has been said before on many occasions, it is nigh on impossible to distinguish who was better than another if they were from different eras but BJ has been hailed by many as the best of his.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I know what you mean. Rugby has evolved and not for the better in many people's eyes.

Although I would say that there have been a number of good Welsh players who have still managed to bring their skills into the modern era and make the game watchable.

Gibbs being one of those, Shane Williams another.
    Jonathan Davies made a massive success of going up north in what is considered and accepted a much tougher code.

Younger people will mention these before BJ, Gareth Edwards, JPR et al.

As has been said before on many occasions, it is nigh on impossible to distinguish who was better than another if they were from different eras but BJ has been hailed by many as the best of his.
    Does the fact that good quality video is available of the players from the seventies mean it is easier to judge them than it was for older generations? All we had was a few poor quality films that made it look very easy for someone like Dixie Dean to score his sixty goals..Once you got to the fifties, the picture quality improves, but I’ve seen films of England 3 Hungary 6 and the Matthews Final and the standard doesn’t look great.

RIP Barry John. One of the greatest players that I was lucky enough to see play.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Does the fact that good quality video is available of the players from the seventies mean it is easier to judge them than it was for older generations? All we had was a few poor quality films that made it look very easy for someone like Dixie Dean to score his sixty goals..Once you got to the fifties, the picture quality improves, but I’ve seen films of England 3 Hungary 6 and the Matthews Final and the standard doesn’t look great.
    Is there any sport where standards and performance hasn’t improved? Even ‘sports’ like darts & snooker players get better & better. Obviously track & field improve, boxers, hmmm, not so sure on that. Have racehorses become faster? It’s the age old argument, until time travel happens, we’ll never find out…….Dear God, imagine being a time traveller and ending up stuck forever in the Alan Durban days, at least the lean ‘30s had a 9-2 v Thames to savour

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is there any sport where standards and performance hasn’t improved? Even ‘sports’ like darts & snooker players get better & better. Obviously track & field improve, boxers, hmmm, not so sure on that. Have racehorses become faster? It’s the age old argument, until time travel happens, we’ll never find out…….Dear God, imagine being a time traveller and ending up stuck forever in the Alan Durban days, at least the lean ‘30s had a 9-2 v Thames to savour
    Your old Riverside shirt could get an airing!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Your old Riverside shirt could get an airing!
    I’d have to travel incognito, I still owe Bartley a florin.

Used to often see him in The City Arms, and at the cricket, always happy to have a chat. RIP.

RIP..but the game has changed a lot The size of them today compared to then, not saying it better ruby now

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Gareth Edwards went to millfield public school didn't he ?
    Yes he did but afterwards he did teacher training in Cardiff College of Education (now Cardiff Met).