+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case against Willie McKay - SETTLED OUT OF COURT

Case against Willie McKay - SETTLED OUT OF COURT

I understand this is being heard in Cardiff this month. Anyone know when it’s listed for and is it likely to be open to the public?

Re: Case against Willie McKay

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    I understand this is being heard in Cardiff this month. Anyone know when it’s listed for and is it likely to be open to the public?
    This Thursday at Cardiff Civil Court according to Sky. Not sure if that sort of hearing is open or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    This Thursday at Cardiff Civil Court according to Sky. Not sure if that sort of hearing is open or not.
    Cheers for that.

Anyone know if this is a hearing to determine whether the City can issue an NPO or has this already been served on the respondent (McKay in this case )? Thanks in anticipation to the legal eagles out there.

Anyone know if this is a hearing to determine whether the City can issue an NPO or has this already been served on the respondent (McKay in this case )? Thanks in anticipation to the legal eagles out there.
    No idea but given that I have not seen anything reported it is probably to obtain an NPO rather than enforce one.

I've always been intrigued by impending court cases that are publicised, and I have often thought about attending some over the years but never did.

Simple questions..

How do you find out the exact times of the court hearing, and which courtroom they will take place in?
    Is there some kind of noticeboard, perhaps a large book on public display, or do you have to ask a court attendant to supply you the information?
    Finally, when you're armed with the relevant information, do you have to reserve your place in the public gallery, or is it simply a case of 'first-come, first-served'?

I attended a local court a couple of months ago (albeit only the County Court in Taunton) as it was something I always intended doing.
    However, it seemed to consist of a great deal hanging around and parties in the court whispering between themselves and the judges at length before and after anything that happened. And what happened seemed semi-inaudible, highly mundane and of little interest. (I decided to go on the day when the proceedings were meant to involve the case of the local chap who drove a large military vehicle against and over local cars including police vehicles - but I left due to boredom and the lack of clarity as to what time the case was meant to be dealt with and in which court).
    I'm not suggesting that it was typical of court proceedings in general but it was less than exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I attended a local court a couple of months ago (albeit only the County Court in Taunton) as it was something I always intended doing.
    However, it seemed to consist of a great deal hanging around and parties in the court whispering between themselves and the judges at length before and after anything that happened. And what happened seemed semi-inaudible, highly mundane and of little interest. (I decided to go on the day when the proceedings were meant to involve the case of the local chap who drove a large military vehicle against and over local cars including police vehicles - but I left due to boredom and the lack of clarity as to what time the case was meant to be dealt with and in which court).
    I'm not suggesting that it was typical of court proceedings in general but it was less than exciting.
    Were you the defendant?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I've always been intrigued by impending court cases that are publicised, and I have often thought about attending some over the years but never did.

Simple questions..

How do you find out the exact times of the court hearing, and which courtroom they will take place in?
    Is there some kind of noticeboard, perhaps a large book on public display, or do you have to ask a court attendant to supply you the information?
    Finally, when you're armed with the relevant information, do you have to reserve your place in the public gallery, or is it simply a case of 'first-come, first-served'?
    Try either The Law Pages, or Court Serve websites. Think you have to register but I think all listings snd previous cases are on there.

Were you the defendant?
    Of course. I walked out before the decision as I was bored. Never been back

Simple questions..

I spent some time in magistrates and crown courts as a student. Both had noticeboards saying which cases were in which court, and you didn't have to reserve a space. I'd assume civil courts are generally the same, unless the hearing is restricted for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I spent some time in magistrates and crown courts as a student. Both had noticeboards saying which cases were in which court, and you didn't have to reserve a space. I'd assume civil courts are generally the same, unless the hearing is restricted for some reason.

Got to sit through a whole Crown Court trial once for theft, possession of an offensive weapon and affray. There was a further charge of assault on police that was dropped early on (lack of evidence). Fascinating to see them get through it and to see just how dodgy our police officers can be!
    Before anyone asks, I was sat in the public gallery in a group of students NOT in the dock!

Simple questions..

You can contact them. Details at https://www.find-court-tribunal.serv...justice-centre

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Did a fair share of court reporting as a local journalist, magistrates and crown, and in the main it is very boring. Loads of hanging around waiting, loads of legal nonsense.

A few moments of excitement and always loved verdict/sentencing as seemed a complete lottery sometimes.

To answer previous question, there was a notice board listing order of hearings and court room - but this is going back 10 years

It would have been easy to track down a specific case on any given day when I worked at Cardiff Magistrates Court, there was a board in the main foyer which had lists of all cases to be heard by each court - amazing to think that was forty eight years ago now, but I would have thought it would be equally as simple to do now.

International

You could never get in the public gallery at Belfast Crown court in the winter. All the old school tramps would be queuing at the door an hour or more before to get in the warm and sleep all day.
    The ushers just let them in an humoured them. They were rarely any harm.

Were you the defendant?
    Of course he wasn't, he just like's to make virtually every post all about him, as do many of us on here

10:30am tomorrow 8Feb at the County Court in Cathay's Park - courtroom 15. Before Judge Keyser KC. Scheduled for 5hrs 30mins so take a packed lunch😁

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    10:30am tomorrow 8Feb at the County Court in Cathay's Park - courtroom 15. Before Judge Keyser KC. Scheduled for 5hrs 30mins so take a packed lunch😁
    Actually my mistake the Court is in Park St nr Millennium Std Gate 5 - New one on me?

International

Actually my mistake the Court is in Park St nr Millennium Std Gate 5 - New one on me?
    County Court has been there for over30 years.

Keyser so (you) say.
    (See who gets this)

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...plane-disaster

Emiliano Sala: Cardiff City and football agent Willie McKay reach settlement five years after plane disaster

Emiliano Sala died after his private plane crashed over the English Channel in 2019; he was due to complete a club-record move to Cardiff from Nantes in January that year; Cardiff were suing agent Willie McKay in order to gain information about his involvement in the transfer.

Cardiff City and football agent Willie McKay have reached an out-of-court settlement over his involvement in the 2019 Emiliano Sala transfer, on the eve of the first day of their hearing.

Sky Sports News previously reported McKay was being sued by Cardiff in order to obtain information about his involvement in the Sala deal.

Sala was due to complete a club-record fee to Cardiff from Nantes during the January transfer window but died after his private plane crashed over the English Channel.

Sky Sports News has previously reported McKay and his son arranged the private plane for Sala.

In June 2023, Cardiff launched legal proceedings against Nantes in France, where they are seeking damages for the transfer and as part of the proceedings in France, the club were attempting to sue McKay to understand his involvement in the transfer.

According to a source close to the case, Cardiff also argue they would have avoided relegation if Sala had played for the club and are seeking damages for losses in revenue from the relegation.

As part of the proceedings in France, Nantes claim McKay had no involvement in the transfer, which Cardiff dispute.

A hearing was due to take place on February 8, but Sky Sports News has been told this hearing was cancelled after the parties reached an out-of-court settlement.

The terms of the settlement are confidential.

Sky Sports News attended a preliminary hearing last week, where McKay failed to have the proceedings delayed.

A statement from Willie McKay said: "Out of respect for the family of Emiliano Sala, I felt it was necessary to confirm that Cardiff City FC have reached an agreement with me regarding their claim against Nantes FC.

"I have, throughout this process, provided evidence to assist the Dorset Coroner, Dorset Police, Civil Aviation Authority and the Air Accidents Investigation Board and, always acted openly and honestly during all the investigations into the tragic death of Emiliano.

"My family and myself, have endured endless unfounded allegations and accusations, but we have always known that we were innocent of any wrongdoing. Throughout all the above investigations, we have been found to be innocent of any wrongdoing of any kind leading up to the awful events on the 21 January 2019."

Capital Law, lawyers for Cardiff City, told Sky Sports News: "The club is pleased with the outcome and remains committed to recovering the losses it has suffered as a result of FCN's negligence."

Why isn’t the amount of the settlement in the public domain?
    Should it be allowed to remain confidential?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Why isn’t the amount of the settlement in the public domain?
    Should it be allowed to remain confidential?
    I don't think the settlement will be financial.

I may be wrong but I assume McKay has coughed up information and documents that will aid the club's civil case against Nantes - helping to prove their responsibility for the fatal flight.

The whole purpose of suing Mckay was to get information to show Nantes was responsible (via McKay) for the flight - not money.