+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Times we have scored 5 or more since the millennium

Times we have scored 5 or more since the millennium

Cardiff City 5-1 Bristol Rovers

The game that arguably announced Robert Earnshaw as a potential legend, scoring a hat-trick against Rovers who were a division above us. Andy Jordan scored an own goal.

Cardiff City 6-1 Exeter City

Another Andy Jordan own goal, not costly this time, either. 6 different scorers - Young, Gordon, Legg, Bowen, Brazier, Brayson.

Macclesfield Town 2-5 Cardiff City

2,376 were in attendance to watch promotion seeking City with their 3rd 5+ goal haul of the season. Scott Young and Earnshaw both scored twice.

Cardiff City 7-1 Rushden & Diamonds

Gavin Gordon's moment in the sun, scored 5. Hasn't happened since to a City player.

Oldham Athletic 1-7 Cardiff City

Prior to kickoff we were Oldham's rivals for a top 6 place. 5-0 at half time, Andy Campbell scored a hat-trick against both Andy Gorams. Possibly the most remarkable result I've ever seen given the situation.

Boston United 1-5 Cardiff City

League cup. Anyone interested?

Cardiff City 5-0 Gillingham

A year and 2 days later we crush the Gills. 4-0 up at half time, Earnshaw scored 4.

Cardiff City 6-1 Crewe Alexandra

Goals from Ricketts, Ledley, Cooper, Purse, Jerome and Koumas.

Cardiff City 6-1 Derby County

Dave Jones' second 6er as boss. Chopra scores 4.

Bristol City 0-6 Cardiff City

5 months after the Derby demolition, and following FA cup replays against the Wurzels, a masterclass of Whittingham, McCormack and Chopra.

Cardiff City 5-3 Huddersfield Town

League cup in Cardiff, Gyepes, Parkin, Cowie and Conway see us into the next round. We would make the final

Cardiff City 5-3 Barnsley

Not long after the Terriers' win, we pull off the same scoreline against Barnsley with a brace from Gunnarsson, Cowie, Mason and Millar also netting. Danny Drinkwater scored for Barnsley.

Cardiff City 5-0 Rotherham United

18 Feb 2017. The first game I took my 4 year old to see and he remembers so much of it even now. Goals from Harris, Hoilett, Noone and two from Zohore.

I think it's telling that we've scored 5 or more only once since 2011, yet when we were rising from the bottom divisions, it was a quite often occurrence.

Re: Times we have scored 5 or more since the millennium

I think I was at all of them except the Boston game (whatever happened to them?)

I remember the Bristol City game, watching sky sports and every time City scored the guy watching, former player but for the life of me can’t remember his name, anyway according to him they were the luckiest goals ever scored and the best team lost.he was very anti City.

And who remembers City winning 12-2 (7-1 away and 5-1 at home) over two legs against Mjřndalen in the Cup Winners Cup in 1969?
    Their brown kit was less than fetching.

The first one that popped into my head was the Gavin Gordon game lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    And who remembers City winning 12-2 (7-1 away and 5-1 at home) over two legs against Mjřndalen in the Cup Winners Cup in 1969?

I do miss those ECWC matches, especially the earlier years but not so much our most recent ventures into Europe against the likes of Aarhus, Admira Wacker and Standard Liege.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I do miss those ECWC matches, especially the earlier years but not so much our most recent ventures into Europe against the likes of Aarhus, Admira Wacker and Standard Liege.
    I certainly remember Göztepe Izmir, Hamburg, Real Madrid, Nantes and Servette.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I remember the Bristol City game, watching sky sports and every time City scored the guy watching, former player but for the life of me can’t remember his name, anyway according to him they were the luckiest goals ever scored and the best team lost.he was very anti City.
    I remember chopra did his boots on fire celebration at that game. I was bored in work that week with nothing much to do, so I took a still from that celebration on here and photoshopped flames onto the boots.
    it looked pretty good in full scale, but when I shrank it down to use as an avatar on here you couldn't really see what was going on. within 5 minutes of uploading it someone on here asked why I had a picture of Chopra holding a dead fox.

‘Norwegian Wood’ was on the radio the other day, and I mentioned to my mate, a younger City fan who had no clue about the games, that during the home game on the Grange End that that song was given its only ever airing but ending with ‘Norwegian Shit’.

Didn’t Sandy Allan bag a hat trick in the away leg?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    ‘Norwegian Wood’ was on the radio the other day, and I mentioned to my mate, a younger City fan who had no clue about the games, that during the home game on the Grange End that that song was given its only ever airing but ending with ‘Norwegian Shit’.

So coarse from the Grangenders. Should have been Leif Erikkson, Edvard Munch, Morten Harket, Henrik Ibsen, Edvard Grieg, your boys took one helluva' beating.

Wrexham have probably hit nearly as many as that in the last two seasons.

I do miss watching some of those DJ squads but he also had his negatives. A lot of his goodwill was used up in that play off defeat to Blackpool, probably the worst I've felt coming from a city match.

No idea. All I remember of the away leg was that it was in the afternoon and broadcast on the radio. Having secreted radio earplugs in my log-holes and under my long hair, I recall the commentator describing the sun going down over the pine trees. Quite evocative really.

how many per manager is it? anyone got more than 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Wrexham have probably hit nearly as many as that in the last two seasons.

I do miss watching some of those DJ squads but he also had his negatives. A lot of his goodwill was used up in that play off defeat to Blackpool, probably the worst I've felt coming from a city match.
    You're Not wrong, I remember the feeling after a relegation but it didn't compare to that play-off final defeat.

I'd like you to list the managers in charge during those momentous games, if you can please Eric. i think I may see a pattern emerging somewhere

I certainly remember Göztepe Izmir, Hamburg, Real Madrid, Nantes and Servette.
    And Sporting Club.

Didn’t Martin Chivers play for Servette (with a beard) when we played them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    And Sporting Club.

Didn’t Martin Chivers play for Servette (with a beard) when we played them?
    took dogs abuse from the Grange End

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I was working no more than a mile from the stadium. But it was a bubble so I'd have had to finish work early, drive back to Wales to get a coach and then back to Carrot land for the game. Or go in the home end. Just as well I didn't choose the latter given the score although at least I could have booed the Wurzels without standing out. I saw Steve Lansdown next day as I worked for him. He wasn't happy.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    You're Not wrong, I remember the feeling after a relegation but it didn't compare to that play-off final defeat.
    Have to say the carling cup defeat was the worst for me, purely because it was the 3rd time we'd lost at Wembley within a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Have to say the carling cup defeat was the worst for me, purely because it was the 3rd time we'd lost at Wembley within a few seasons.
    Not for me. I didn't expect us to beat Liverpool and although we lost it was a good game (apart from the penalties). Whereas I thought we could beat Blackpool but the team selection and performance was a huge let down.

Edit
    I was at the Macclesfield away game. I was with my mate and his kids who live there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Plus we managed to take it to penalties and Liverpool didn’t score their first two…. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Plus we managed to take it to penalties and Liverpool didn’t score their first two…. :-/
    Yeah the way we lost was hard to take too.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

You’re sh*t and you know you are ….

Nothing personal

Not checked, but I think it was in the home leg - they were all headers I seem to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not checked, but I think it was in the home leg - they were all headers I seem to remember.
    Yep, it was the home leg