+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Cards to be Introduced

Blue Cards to be Introduced

Re: Blue Cards to be Introduced

This should be a good thread

They stole this idea from me, I want my cut.

The way teams just share out yellows between themselves in games in order to run down the clock/prevent attacks from building makes this change vital. Hopefully it won't be used much because teams see the threat and change tactics so they don't lose a player or two.

Does a ref actually have the balls to referee to it though? Similar to holding in the penalty area, it isn't a deterrent if you never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    They stole this idea from me, I want my cut.

The way teams just share out yellows between themselves in games in order to run down the clock/prevent attacks from building makes this change vital. Hopefully it won't be used much because teams see the threat and change tactics so they don't lose a player or two.

Does a ref actually have the balls to referee to it though? Similar to holding in the penalty area, it isn't a deterrent if you never use it.
    Does anybody remember - I think it was at least 6 months ago - they introduced new rules to stop time-wasting. That went well. More stoppages, more players using it to their side's advantage, more cheating. More reviews [presume VAR will be the the arbiter]

I'd prefer cheerleaders

Refs already have powers to sort this out and don't use them and I fear there will be lots more threads on here about poor refereeing decisions

At what level?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    At what level?
    Men & women’s FA Cup next season, if I’ve read it right.

Seems like this will bring about the end of the two yellow cards dismissals. Yes, I know they are saying blue cards will only be issued for specific offences at the moment, but we can all remember when VAR was supposed to only be used to correct "clear and obvious errors".

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Seems like this will bring about the end of the two yellow cards dismissals. Yes, I know they are saying blue cards will only be issued for specific offences at the moment, but we can all remember when VAR was supposed to only be used to correct "clear and obvious errors".
    It'll just add another grey area to the laws of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Refs already have powers to sort this out and don't use them and I fear there will be lots more threads on here about poor refereeing decisions
    Yea it's a cop out really.

Just implement the bookings and reds properly and as consistently as possible.

I'd even rather straight reds for the offences this blue will cover. Instead of pissing about with 10 minutes sin bins everywhere just send them off.

It will be carnage for a while but not for long when players and clubs soon start being punished accordingly.

Not quite a red but a blue card will just mean most matches have these where one team is at a disadvantage and it's dragging it out as I don't think it fixes the issue long term.

I have advocated this idea for quite a while. No ref would dare issue a red card for what is laughably called a "professional foul" - so the blue card would do the job. I don't see why there should be any problem of interpretation - everyman and his brother can immediately tell when a defender deliberately pulls down an opponent when he is charging down the pitch towards the goal. Why just 10 minutes anyway, let's have 30 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It'll just add another grey area to the laws of the game.
    Yet another colour then.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Well said, sir. Very true. Rushed and wrong.

StT.
    <><

More confusion, vagueness over the rules and their interpretation.
    Why not put players in the bin for 10 minutes when they get a yellow card? There shouldn't be a need for another card.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    More confusion, vagueness over the rules and their interpretation.
    Why not put players in the bin for 10 minutes when they get a yellow card? There shouldn't be a need for another card.
    I think similarly although 5 mins may suffice. At present, a team (let's call them 'Team A',) who are vying for promotion, may be playing opposition that collects half a dozen yellow cards and keeps everyone on the pitch but may lose some of their players (as a result of cumulative bookings) in the next game against 'Team B', promotion rivals of 'Team A'.
    In short, the penalty applied should benefit the immediate opposition, as in ice hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think similarly although 5 mins may suffice. At present, a team (let's call them 'Team A',) who are vying for promotion, may be playing opposition that collects half a dozen yellow cards and keeps everyone on the pitch but may lose some of their players (as a result of cumulative bookings) in the next game against 'Team B', promotion rivals of 'Team A'.
    In short, the penalty applied should benefit the immediate opposition, as in ice hockey.
    Indeed. Many players, particularly defenders, will happily 'take one for the team' by fouling a player who's about get past the last line of defence. An immediate sanction would make them think twice.

It will be the same resounding success as VAR

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Indeed. Many players, particularly defenders, will happily 'take one for the team' by fouling a player who's about get past the last line of defence. An immediate sanction would make them think twice.
    But there already is an immediate sanction for that offence. It's called a red card. In fact a blue card would minimise the penalty for that offence.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    But there already is an immediate sanction for that offence. It's called a red card. In fact a blue card would minimise the penalty for that offence.

StT.
    <><
    On the plus side, the opposing team, ie the one fouled against, gets an advantage, if only for the sin-bin time, whereas a yellow gives no benefit (red does, obviously)

whats the point . they cant even dish out yellows and reds appropriately as it is

not going down too well in some quarters

Who remembers blue cards at old Trafford first time in prem.

One of the best things about football is how the game flows. 90 minutes of action with just a 15-minute break. We already have games regularly going over 100 minutes these days. It's just going to get more ponderous, boring, and controversial. If they want to improve football, start sending more players off. The game will soon clear itself up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    One of the best things about football is how the game flows. 90 minutes of action with just a 15-minute break. We already have games regularly going over 100 minutes these days. It's just going to get more ponderous, boring, and controversial. If they want to improve football, start sending more players off. The game will soon clear itself up.
    Agree entirely, but I think the yanks are trying to get more breaks in play so they can show ads on TV, like in grid shite they do.