+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unusual City stat.

Re: Unusual City stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Conversely though there's as much to play for in games where a team is comfortably winning - if you're 3-0 up there wouldn't be teams taking their foot off the gas as they could get 5 or 6 points, and the losing team could get points back as well

I think it would promote attacking play
    As we proved in 2009, every goal counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not sure he did. He died in 2009.
    Ah, didn’t notice the Peterborough promotion year you quoted, I’m stuck in the sixties. I though the goal total was low, they scored 134 in Terry’s season.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ah, didn’t notice the Peterborough promotion year you quoted, I’m stuck in the sixties. I though the goal total was low, they scored 134 in Terry’s season.
    Aha, I was wondering. Thanks.

I've just noticed that they scored 690 goals over the course of 5 championship winning seasons in the Midland league before being elected to the Fourth Division. After promotion, they scored 200 goals over two seasons in the Third division. That's 1024 league goals in 8 seasons. That must take some beating.

Aha, I was wondering. Thanks.

I've just noticed that they scored 690 goals over the course of 5 championship winning seasons in the Midland league before being elected to the Fourth Division. After promotion, they scored 200 goals over two seasons in the Third division. That's 1024 league goals in 8 seasons. That must take some beating.
    Ridiculous rate of scoring wasn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ridiculous rate of scoring wasn’t it?
    Extraordinary. Wolves have the record for scoring the most goals over 8 successive seasons in league matches, when they scored 790 between 1953-61. That's 234 goals fewer than Peterborough managed.

Extraordinary. Wolves have the record for scoring the most goals over 8 successive seasons in league matches, when they scored 790 between 1953-61. That's 234 goals fewer than Peterborough managed.
    TNS have scored 706 in the last 8 seasons, playing 32 games per season.

Celtic 786 goals between 1965-73 playing 34 games per season.

According to my math:
    - Peterborough 3.44 goals per game
    - Celtic 2.89 goals per game
    - TNS 2.76 goals per game
    - Wolves 2.35 goals per game

OK, weekend's here, that's me finished-up for the week now.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Don’t think you have, there’s a Blackpool game from that season against Blackburn in which he scored four knocking about on You Tube and the commentator said he’d already scored three hat tricks. I think the game was played with about two months of the season left and Hatton was already on something like twenty two goals.
    How nice to have a stats thread. That 77/78 season was a really strange one in Division 2. Blackpool spent most of the season around the top 6 and were in a comfortable 7th place after beating Hull 3-0 in mid March. However they then ended the season with just 5 draws and 6 defeats from their last 11 games. Even so with 5 games left they were still 9th but fell into the last relegation spot at season's end when City 'allowed' Orient a 1-0 win at Ninian Park so they could join us and six other teams on 38 points while Blackpool had 37.

Blackpool got their revenge about 32 years later I suppose.