+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Support of Etete

In Support of Etete

He seems to be a scapegoat from numerous fans. Problem is that no matter what he does he’s going to get flak. He is the loan striker (so it seems on paper) and gets no support, is totally isolated and therefore looks as if he’s a deadweight. He is no world beater but maybe, if he had someone to play alongside him he could be more effective. The past few years have been a desert for City strikers, Moore excepted. Unless the Club appoint a Manager who can actually bring out the best of what we have, onwards and downwards.

Re: In Support of Etete

I thought he was shocking today, when he wasn't on his arse because he was being out battled by a defender he was moaning at the ref. The only plus was he managed two shots on target, unfortunately both tame efforts straight at the 'keeper.
    He just about edged out the ref for worst performance on the pitch today.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I thought he was shocking today, when he wasn't on his arse because he was being out battled by a defender he was moaning at the ref. The only plus was he managed two shots on target, unfortunately both tame efforts straight at the 'keeper.
    He just about edged out the ref for worst performance on the pitch today.
    I think this reaffirms what the OP is saying. I think considering his size, he's so easily pushed aside it's a joke. I also think on occasion his touch can be poor. On the other hand, I think to say he was 'moaning' today is grossly unfair. Despite being easily outmuscled, his shirt was basically ripped off on half a dozen occasions and got 0 protection from the ref. I also think it's fair to say our wingers are some of the worst in the league at either beating a man/getting crosses in or supporting Etete in a more inverted winger type role, so I also feel for him there.

At the end of the day I think the blame should be shared out by both Etete for being weaker than Isak Davies in a physical battle, Bulut for the way we set up and also our surrounding players. Either play someone alongside him, or drop him because he clearly isn't good/strong enough to be playing isolated on his own.

I see Mark Harris scored his thirteenth goal of the season today - a consequence of playing in a lower division or more proof that, unless you’re Kieffer Moore, Cardiff City is a graveyard for strikers?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see Mark Harris scored his thirteenth goal of the season today - a consequence of playing in a lower division or more proof that, unless you’re Kieffer Moore, Cardiff City is a graveyard for strikers?
    A consequence of playing with our midfield. Etete is way off the pace though, he’s not good enough like so many of our squad.

I'd say that you're correct with both of the questions raised.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    A consequence of playing with our midfield. Etete is way off the pace though, he’s not good enough like so many of our squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'd say that you're correct with both of the questions raised.
    There are also two other questions that lead from this - is Harris's scoring exploits this season helped by having experience in the Championship and would we have been better keeping him on our books and sending him on loan this season?

Now we can all see this, which begs the question of why Bulut did so little about it in the January transfer window. In his defence, I know that getting good attacking options in during the January window isn't easy and we weren't in the market to spend much money, but I don't feel he's really addressed the biggest problem.

If we could cause teams more problems with our attack, our defensive game wouldn't be relied on so heavily.

So, a striker’s graveyard then.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There are also two other questions that lead from this - is Harris's scoring exploits this season helped by having experience in the Championship and would we have been better keeping him on our books and sending him on loan this season?
    If Harris played a full season in the championship, then i reckon that he'd score 7 or 8 goals. I think that it was the right thing for him to move on.

If Harris played a full season in the championship, then i reckon that he'd score 7 or 8 goals. I think that it was the right thing for him to move on.
    So better than any of our current strikers, then!

Not 100 per cent sure about this, but wasn’t it Harris’ decision to leave?

So better than any of our current strikers, then!
    Probably.

Not 100 per cent sure about this, but wasn’t it Harris’ decision to leave?
    He didn't agree to a new contract, so possibly. Think that was pre-Bulut as well.

He didn't agree to a new contract, so possibly. Think that was pre-Bulut as well.
    Yes it was.

Probably.
    Which says a lot, though again, we've been dining out of the bargain bin.

I think Harris would have thrived on our attacking midfield work and the huge number of chances created from midfield.

Which says a lot, though again, we've been dining out of the bargain bin.

I think Harris would have thrived on our attacking midfield work and the huge number of chances created from midfield.
    It's not just strikers, no player in any position prospers. Defence, Midfield and attack. We have the unenviable knack of either stalling a players progress or making them worse. This guy from Celtic will end up finished with us.

It's not just strikers, no player in any position prospers. Defence, Midfield and attack. We have the unenviable knack of either stalling a players progress or making them worse. This guy from Celtic will end up finished with us.
    That has to be due to a complete lack of footballing knowledge or ethos at the club. Other clubs seem to be able to do it. We've been one of the worst at spending money and wasting it in Europe.

That has to be due to a complete lack of footballing knowledge or ethos at the club. Other clubs seem to be able to do it. We've been one of the worst at spending money and wasting it in Europe.
    There's something seriously wrong at the club. We don't produce young players who go on to better things and anyone with an ounce of ability seems to lose it after a certain amount of time with us. The striker thing is no different to any other position, players just don't improve. That's not to say that most of them are crap though.

First Team

He isn't good with his back to goal, he can't hold the ball up, he is easily swept aside by defenders, he doesn't make runs for through balls, his body language is that of a couldn't-care-less dope, and, he is generally poor in the air. Did I miss something?

Having said all that, I have a feeling if he went somewhere else and put on 25lbs, he would turn into a monster.

The last decent goalscorer we had at this club has joined Ipswich

There's something seriously wrong at the club.
    obvz

...has been for the last decade or two..... in more ways than one too.

We are the poorest run of the four welsh efl sides.

I don’t think Harris would be doing any worse than Etete. Despite one being about half a foot taller than the other they seem to have similar games… in the side because they are perceived to be good at closing down, the odd decent finish and completely ineffective physically against Championship defenders.

The difference being that Etete comes from Spurs and is tall, so he gets considered a tantalizing prospect whereas Harris was written off. Neither are Championship standard but can do a job a league below.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    obvz

...has been for the last decade or two..... in more ways than one too.

We are the poorest run of the four welsh efl sides.
    I know some will say Tan is keeping the club afloat, but that's only because it's so badly run and haemorrhaging his cash.