+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fortress CCS

Fortress CCS

This is the fourth season where our home form has been pretty dreadful. I thought I'd have a look to see where our stats compare with all the other sides in the league.

There have been 88 teams who have competed in all of the last 4 league seasons, I've discounted those who haven't featured in all 4 seasons.

We've won a whopping 27 home games out of 84, failing to win in 57 matches. It's not the worst record out there, but not far off it. As teams have played different numbers of home games, it's probably best to work with win percentage instead. Ours is 32.1%. Below us are Colchester, Harrogate (both 31%), Birmingham (30.1%), Fleetwood (28.6%) and AFC Wimbledon (27.7%). 82 league sides have won more games at home than us in 4 seasons (so far). That's garbage.

Only Doncaster Rovers have lost more games at home in 4 seasons. Converted to defeat percentage, only Doncaster and Everton have lost more games at home as a percentage.

Only 7 sides have scored less goals at home on average than us.

Yet our crowds have risen each season since lockdown. Goodness knows why.

Re: Fortress CCS

So not all bad news then ?

Very interesting stats - in that period the only thing that has remained consistent is the core fan base. Could it be that playing as an away team in a very tepid home atmosphere means it’s easier to get a result?

Yes they are interesting stats.

I know the thread is entitled CCS but I dont suppose you'd have similar stats for away games Eric would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    This is the fourth season where our home form has been pretty dreadful. I thought I'd have a look to see where our stats compare with all the other sides in the league.

There have been 88 teams who have competed in all of the last 4 league seasons, I've discounted those who haven't featured in all 4 seasons.

We've won a whopping 27 home games out of 84, failing to win in 57 matches. It's not the worst record out there, but not far off it. As teams have played different numbers of home games, it's probably best to work with win percentage instead. Ours is 32.1%. Below us are Colchester, Harrogate (both 31%), Birmingham (30.1%), Fleetwood (28.6%) and AFC Wimbledon (27.7%). 82 league sides have won more games at home than us in 4 seasons (so far). That's garbage.

Only Doncaster Rovers have lost more games at home in 4 seasons. Converted to defeat percentage, only Doncaster and Everton have lost more games at home as a percentage.

Those losses stats are the killer and the fact that we’ve been unable to score in so many of them. Players like Ng and Wintle have not known a time when we were even decent at home - towards the end of last season I was seriously saying we needed to bring in a sports psychiatrist because I’m not sure what more can be done to turn our home results around.

Incredible that so many still turn up……

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Incredible that so many still turn up……
    Do they though?

Season tickets now are cheaper than ninian Park was. Bob bank terrace was 299 and thats 16 years ago- canton stand now is cheaper than that?

Credit to the club for that. It also boosts attendance figures as I heard someone say there weren't 12k in the ground yesterday and for most of 2nd half about 8k. Yet was announced as nearly 20k. Would be interesting to see the actual numbers who attended?

Season tickets mean you can miss more than half the games and financially its still cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yes they are interesting stats.

I know the thread is entitled CCS but I dont suppose you'd have similar stats for away games Eric would you?
    I don't and I'm not particularly interested in researching them. I would doubt our away stats are sparkling, on the basis of 3 poor seasons and this, though our away record since 2000 is better than our home.

Regardless of our away form, it doesn't in any way make the point less valid that we've utter rubbish at home for too long and it looks set to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Very interesting stats - in that period the only thing that has remained consistent is the core fan base. Could it be that playing as an away team in a very tepid home atmosphere means it’s easier to get a result?
    It's simple. Two categories of teams visit us. Those who are better than us who are comfortable to soak up what feeble pressure we apply for short spells only to get a foothold as the game progresses and take an easy 3 points.

Then there's the other category - those sides who are so much better than us who can completely control the game in all areas and have a nice walk in the park..

I don't and I'm not particularly interested in researching them. I would doubt our away stats are sparkling, on the basis of 3 poor seasons and this, though our away record since 2000 is better than our home.

Regardless of our away form, it doesn't in any way make the point less valid that we've utter rubbish at home for too long and it looks set to continue.

Would be tough to disagree with the last statement, I just wondered whether there might be a trend of getting better results away.

Would be tough to disagree with the last statement, I just wondered whether there might be a trend of getting better results away.
    Over the last 4 seasons we've won 33 away from 84 games, compared with 27 at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Do they though?

Season tickets now are cheaper than ninian Park was. Bob bank terrace was 299 and thats 16 years ago- canton stand now is cheaper than that?

Credit to the club for that. It also boosts attendance figures as I heard someone say there weren't 12k in the ground yesterday and for most of 2nd half about 8k. Yet was announced as nearly 20k. Would be interesting to see the actual numbers who attended?

Season tickets mean you can miss more than half the games and financially its still cheaper.
    They probably don’t most of the time, yesterday was so predictable…..why work all week and waste the best day off to see that? I’d love to know if a walk up crowd even exists anymore…..

Over the last 4 seasons we've won 33 away from 84 games, compared with 27 at home.
    Ok so this suggests that we might among the better teams with a decent away record, no?

CCS is no Ninian Park that's for sure.

Ok so this suggests that we might among the better teams with a decent away record, no?

CCS is no Ninian Park that's for sure.
    I agree but the last few years at Ninian was just as poor though, I think there became a time during that stage where our fans became demanding. It became all about want want want rather than supporting what they had, and I think that’s followed through.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I agree but the last few years at Ninian was just as poor though, I think there became a time during that stage where our fans became demanding. It became all about want want want rather than supporting what they had, and I think that’s followed through.
    Not sure I totally agree, here.

Much of the Dave Jones' tenure as manager was spent chasing promotion. We blew opportunities to get into the playoffs twice, then missed out twice in the playoffs themselves. Some fans see that as the best times they've had supporting us, but there was also a desire to win promotion after so many close calls, then Swansea went up before us. It was season after season of getting closer and closer but still not managing it.

When we came back down and Russell Slade replaced Solskjaer, I don't think there were many City fans who were demanding of anything. I suppose the disappointment of seeing them down west staying in the PL for as long as they did was frustrating for some, but we all knew we weren't close to going back up.

I felt our support was different when we went up under Warnock. I reckon most didn't believe it would happen until it finally did. Even in the PL I thought we were all quite united in getting behind what was an average side playing out of its skin to get anything.

Since then, one playoff failure again apart, we've been struggling at the wrong end of the table. We've had a few seasons of mainly crap performances and little to get excited about. I think we, as fans, do support what we have, to an extent, but when things haven't been so good, questions get asked and things get analysed. Perhaps that's not something you do, and I know some don't. But lots do. That's not unique to us or any club.

Apparently Stoke haven't scored a Home equaliser of any kind since December 2022.

That’s not just equalisers that led to draws or wins, that's any kind of equaliser at any point of the game regardless of the final result.

So every single time they’re fallen behind at Home since December 2022 they’ve gone on to lose the match.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m not sure what more can be done to turn our home results around.
    Well I’m sure strobing LED light shows and a drum will help

Maybe a different kit colour might change our fortunes. We were really good in red. Anyone fancy wearing green this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Apparently Stoke haven't scored a Home equaliser of any kind since December 2022.

That’s not just equalisers that led to draws or wins, that's any kind of equaliser at any point of the game regardless of the final result.

So every single time they’re fallen behind at Home since December 2022 they’ve gone on to lose the match.
    That’s an amazing stat, but whereas Stoke have lost eight more home games than they’ve won over the last four seasons, we’ve lost eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That’s an amazing stat, but whereas Stoke have lost eight more home games than they’ve won over the last four seasons, we’ve lost eleven.
    We scored in our opening 8 home league games this season but have failed to score in 5 of the last 7. We scored 15 goals in those 8 games and 3 in the last 7. We failed to score in 6 out of 7 home games under McCarthy/Morison and scored 2 in the only game where we scored. Our home form is close to being as grim as that.

Regarding equalisers at home, we've scored 2 this season, against Plymouth and Norwich. Both times we led 2-1 after being a goal down but only managed 1 point from the 2 games.

This may seem a long time ago, but we equalised late on against Burnley last season. Since then we've lost 17 points from a winning position at home and, of our 7 equalisers at home since then, 3 have resulted in draws (no wins).

If I was running out to a half empty stadium I would find it difficult to perform

One of the biggest causes of our crap home form is the ridiculous size of the ground

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If I was running out to a half empty stadium I would find it difficult to perform

One of the biggest causes of our crap home form is the ridiculous size of the ground
    Congratulations! You are the winner of the Feb 2024 "Biggest Load of Bollocks on CCMB" award.

We seem unable to break down mediocre teams who come here and put 9 behind the ball, and hit us on the counter…recent examples are PNE, Birmingham, and QPR. We have played some decent teams too in the last 2 months..none of whom we were favourites to win against, let’s hope our fortunes change the next 2 home games.