+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coventry v Milwall

Coventry v Milwall

Nice to see a home team, behind at home, moving the ball with intent, getting numbers in/ around the box and breaking with pace and intent. Why can’t we have nice things like this?

Re: Coventry v Milwall

Lovely FAST attack for Coventry second....I wonder if our players watch some of these games...

They get an iffy pen (taken poorly) for the 1st, and the keeper threw the 2nd one in !…. Why can’t we get that sort of good fortune?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Lovely FAST attack for Coventry second....I wonder if our players watch some of these games...
    Exactly, we seem to do everything at such a slow pace. Even throws, goal kicks, etc. Surely, doing things quicker gives the opposition less time to organise themselves

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    They get an iffy pen (taken poorly) for the 1st, and the keeper threw the 2nd one in !…. Why can’t we get that sort of good fortune?
    We don't even get that far forward at home these days.....

Another thing....Coventry haven't just sat back and hold on to the lead...as we would do...

How many of our attacking players would start for either team

Etete, Metie, Tanner, Bowler definitely no, maybe Grant because he has pace and stamina

We had 14 shots yesterday….they had 3, hardly negative tactics. Millwall were by far the better team in the 1st half, just didn’t take their chances…..sounds familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    How many of our attacking players would start for either team

Etete, Metie, Tanner, Bowler definitely no, maybe Grant because he has pace and stamina
    On current form….obviously none !

The Millwall scorer, Esse, wasn't he with QPR previously?

Edit: It was Eze.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    More importantly, does our manager?

We had 14 shots yesterday….they had 3, hardly negative tactics. Millwall were by far the better team in the 1st half, just didn’t take their chances…..sounds familiar?
    Not really. You have to create chances before you take them and we don't even do that. We were the better side for about 20 mins yesterday without threatening their goal, and I can't recall us being 'by far the better team' over 45 mins any time this season (although my memory may just be dulled by the tedium of several home performances).

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Nice to see a home team, behind at home, moving the ball with intent, getting numbers in/ around the box and breaking with pace and intent. Why can’t we have nice things like this?
    You can only judge the merits of this City side by comparing us with the rest in this league. We're not just light years away from the PL, not even the top of the Championship. We're light years away from the likes of Preston, Coventry, Bristol City........

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Exactly, we seem to do everything at such a slow pace. Even throws, goal kicks, etc. Surely, doing things quicker gives the opposition less time to organise themselves
    Otherwise known as "fecking get on with it". My mantra for several seasons now. Always a case of slow, defensive throw ins, waiting for the opposition to get organised from goal kicks, passing backwards/sideways etc etc. It doesn't take a genius of a manager to see that we are too slow and negative.

Preston hardly troubled us all game….I don’t even recall them having a corner all game? Our problem is obvious…not sticking the ball in the net when we are ‘on top’, poor form from our strikers, and no breaks (pen, deflection, miss hit shot etc) in front of goal.

Preston hardly troubled us all game….I don’t even recall them having a corner all game? Our problem is obvious…not sticking the ball in the net when we are ‘on top’, poor form from our strikers, and no breaks (pen, deflection, miss hit shot etc) in front of goal.
    They didn't.

But strange how match stats can give a totally different picture from the one fans get watching the whole game as it happens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...rjqw01t?page=2

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    They didn't.

But strange how match stats can give a totally different picture from the one fans get watching the whole game as it happens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...rjqw01t?page=2
    9 times out of 10 a team with our kind of stats on Saturday wins …..funny old game, that’s why we love it !

9 times out of 10 a team with our kind of stats on Saturday wins …..funny old game, that’s why we love it !
    But those stats hardly tell the true story.

We had the first 5 chances of the match, all from outside the penalty area, 3 were saved (and when I say saved, I could have saved them with one arm in a sling). The first decent chance of the match came after we failed to defend against Riis Jakobsen and he slotted home with ease. They had the best two chances of the first half and scored with both. I could argue their 3 attempts on goal were the best 3 chances of the game.

2 of our 14 attempts on goal happened inside the Preston box.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    You can only judge the merits of this City side by comparing us with the rest in this league. We're not just light years away from the PL, not even the top of the Championship. We're light years away from the likes of Preston, Coventry, Bristol City........
    Light years away from Bristol City? They are just a point ahead of us in the league and played an extra game.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Light years away from Bristol City? They are just a point ahead of us in the league and played an extra game.
    Which is exactly the point I was making..

Which is exactly the point I was making..
    Your point that you're trying to make seems as clear as muddy water.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post
    Not really. You have to create chances before you take them and we don't even do that. We were the better side for about 20 mins yesterday without threatening their goal, and I can't recall us being 'by far the better team' over 45 mins any time this season (although my memory may just be dulled by the tedium of several home performances).
    Swansea? Or has the comfortable nature of our victory grown in my memory fed by relief and surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Your point that you're trying to make seems as clear as muddy water.
    Is it clearer tonight ?

Is it clearer tonight ?
    Not sure why it took you so long to reply.
    Perhaps you think tonight's results add more weight to your argument?

Of course we're "lightyears" away from the Premier League. It could also be argued that we are lightyears away from the likes of Leicester, Leeds, and Southampton (they are all likely to struggle in the Premier)
    However, the point is (and what I believe TBG was trying to make) we are not lightyears behind the likes of Preston, Coventry or Bristol City.

Are the aforementioned teams better than us? The table would suggest they are, but "lightyears" ahead of us?

If we were to win our game in-hand we'd be a point behind Bristol City (btw: they happened to beat a team who are supposedly "lightyears" ahead of most tonight).

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Not sure why it took you so long to reply.
    Perhaps you think tonight's results add more weight to your argument?

Of course we're "lightyears" away from the Premier League. It could also be argued that we are lightyears away from the likes of Leicester, Leeds, and Southampton (they are all likely to struggle in the Premier)
    However, the point is (and what I believe TBG was trying to make) we are not lightyears behind the likes of Preston, Coventry or Bristol City.

Are the aforementioned teams better than us? The table would suggest they are, but "lightyears" ahead of us?

If we were to win our game in-hand we'd be a point behind Bristol City (btw: they happened to beat a team who are supposedly "lightyears" ahead of most tonight).
    Watching Saturday's game, catching a lot of Bristol City's games with West Ham and Forest, and last night v Southampton, I'd argue that in playing terms, ability, etc. , these two teams are probably 3 seasons away from what we would be with excellent recruitment and management.