+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching the Super Bowl?

Re: Anyone watching the Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    A really good game. Was a difficult one to call and they kept you guessing until the end. Some people think it was rigged so whoever did that should be commended for the blocked extra point and the random punt return fumble. Bit lucky for KC but Mahomes showed his class in the end.
    I read about that, they also thought the colours chosen for the Super Bowl determined what teams got to the SB, so I laugh and move on. PM class made the difference in the end in a tight game, I agree, unfortunate couple of errors didn't help.

Do you follow a team or just the sport in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    . Taylor Swift she’s travis kelce’s partner. KC tight end
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...endorses-biden

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    I read about that, they also thought the colours chosen for the Super Bowl determined what teams got to the SB, so I laugh and move on. PM class made the difference in the end in a tight game, I agree, unfortunate couple of errors didn't help.

Do you follow a team or just the sport in general?
    The sport in general. I found it difficult to pick a team cos I've no connection with any of them. It all depends on the context - would've liked the Lions to win this year after all their suffering but it's no big deal really. I get enough stress with our football.

The sport in general. I found it difficult to pick a team cos I've no connection with any of them. It all depends on the context - would've liked the Lions to win this year after all their suffering but it's no big deal really. I get enough stress with our football.
    Who are the man United, Liverpool, man City or arsenal of the game ?

Pick one of those four every season ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Who are the man United, Liverpool, man City or arsenal of the game ?

Pick one of those four every season ?
    It's difficult because of the way it's set up for a team to dominate over the years (some do but they eventually fall away). The worst teams in a season get the first picks of players coming out of college, there are no transfer fees though there are "trades", there's a salary cap and every team gets an equal payout of TV money (apparently $249M each in 2022). This equality is seen as vital.

If anyone could be perceived as the Man U of the NFL then I would guess that would be the Dallas Cowboys who (I think) christened themselves America's Team and there's much laughter when they balls it up (which is often).

Edit: It should be noted there are only 32 teams in the league so whichever team is closest to you will be big and in with a chance of competing.

It's difficult because of the way it's set up for a team to dominate over the years (some do but they eventually fall away). The worst teams in a season get the first picks of players coming out of college, there are no transfer fees though there are "trades", there's a salary cap and every team gets an equal payout of TV money (apparently $249M each in 2022). This equality is seen as vital.

If anyone could be perceived as the Man U of the NFL then I would guess that would be the Dallas Cowboys who (I think) christened themselves America's Team and there's much laughter when they balls it up (which is often).
    Well whatever my opinion on American football if they share around the goodies , as it were , that's to be commended

The Premier League is the epitome of greed

It'd be interesting to find out if they have glory hunters over there or whether everyone's so far apart it seems daft to follow anyone else. I'm not sure if it's civic pride or because your local team can't drop down divisions so everyone has equal standing. Cincinnati went from the worst team in the league to the Superbowl in 2 years so no real point giving up on your own.

I watched the Documentary "Bye bye Barry" about Barry Sanders, that was a good watch.

If you look at a map of the NFL teams there's gaping holes in the map and a lot of miles between teams so I suppose not everyone gets a 'local' team. Also the way people move around the US for college and work, I suppose someone born in NY brought up to support the giants could move to New Mexico and bring his kids up as giants fans?

I like the Purdy story so I might stick with the Niners and see how he progresses from being 'Mr Irrelevant'

I watched the Documentary "Bye bye Barry" about Barry Sanders, that was a good watch.

If you look at a map of the NFL teams there's gaping holes in the map and a lot of miles between teams so I suppose not everyone gets a 'local' team. Also the way people move around the US for college and work, I suppose someone born in NY brought up to support the giants could move to New Mexico and bring his kids up as giants fans?

I like the Purdy story so I might stick with the Niners and see how he progresses from being 'Mr Irrelevant'
    College and high school football are more for the local fan and community I think. Some of the college football attendances are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    College and high school football are more for the local fan and community I think. Some of the college football attendances are crazy.
    I’ve been to a few college games and it certainly is an experience.
    My Mrs and her family are bonkers on Ohio State.
    Columbus, Ohio on Match weekend is fun.

Tailgating for me though…it’s just not something I’ve enjoyed.
    Give me a dodgy boozer with shitty lager and a slight edge any day :)

There's 11 stadiums in the world with capacities of over 100k. 8 of them are the homes of US College teams.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ms_by_capacity

Ah ok!! I started watching something earlier about the Florida Gators and they had 110,000 for a collage game according to the docuseries. That's ****ing insane. Big money involved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Watched 1st live & 2nd half on repeat this morning.

You can’t get closer than that! Was it the longest (in time) Super Bowl ever?
    I dunno, but the one time I tried to watch it it lasted about 6 days, or so it felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Watched 1st live & 2nd half on repeat this morning.

You can’t get closer than that! Was it the longest (in time) Super Bowl ever?

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/super-...Yahoo%20Sports.

It'd be interesting to find out if they have glory hunters over there or whether everyone's so far apart it seems daft to follow anyone else. I'm not sure if it's civic pride or because your local team can't drop down divisions so everyone has equal standing. Cincinnati went from the worst team in the league to the Superbowl in 2 years so no real point giving up on your own.
    There are plenty of glory hunters. It's weird because you can often separate them by age. Dallas were last very successful in the early to mid-'90s. So their glory hunting fams will be of a certain age. Same with Pittsburgh, Miami, Green Bay etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There are plenty of glory hunters. It's weird because you can often separate them by age. Dallas were last very successful in the early to mid-'90s. So their glory hunting fams will be of a certain age. Same with Pittsburgh, Miami, Green Bay etc.
    The vast majority of NFL Fans that I see are actually from those areas.
    Where I live though is very transient.
    There are tons of Pittsburgh fans here mainly from there.
    I guess they migrated in big numbers for work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    There's 11 stadiums in the world with capacities of over 100k. 8 of them are the homes of US College teams.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ms_by_capacity
    I just read that Michigan has the highest attendances in college football and averaged 109,000 per game last season. There was only 7 home games but still thats bonkers.

Is it cheap to get into these college games? I imagine it's.more of a day trip than just going down the city.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Is it cheap to get into these college games? I imagine it's.more of a day trip than just going down the city.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...football-team/

Just looked out of curiosity...

edit here's another site https://seatgeek.com/ncaa-football-tickets

How many college teams getting these big gates are represented in the big American cities

A crowd of say 70000 for a college game is impressive but not if a city the size of Birmingham or Glasgow or Liverpool only has 1 major college side

If college football is the main way that the Americans watch their sport then crowds that the likes of United , Spurs , Arsenal get but multiplied two or three times in say Detroit or Seattle would certainly be worthy of note

The point I am trying to make is if Dallas or Houston have college teams with big gates it should be no surprise as both those cities are absolutely enormous populations

I hope that's season ticket prices

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I hope that's season ticket prices
    edited my original post with this https://seatgeek.com/ncaa-football-tickets

How many college teams getting these big gates are represented in the big American cities

A crowd of say 70000 for a college game is impressive but not if a city the size of Birmingham or Glasgow or Liverpool only has 1 major college side

If college football is the main way that the Americans watch their sport then crowds that the likes of United , Spurs , Arsenal get but multiplied two or three times in say Detroit or Seattle would certainly be worthy of note

The point I am trying to make is if Dallas or Houston have college teams with big gates it should be no surprise as both those cities are absolutely enormous populations
    but you have no interest in this thread, right?

Hmm not sure if they have 100,000 seater stadiums in rust belt towns, yeah they probably do.

but you have no interest in this thread, right?
    I am not interested in the game I find it boring

But if the American college teams representing small communities get huge gates that's worthy of discussion