+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Erol Bulut: Missed chances have once again cost us

Re: Erol Bulut: Missed chances have once again cost us

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Not one for ranting and raving between games...but this comment today takes the biscuit...
    Erol Bulut: "We create a lot and we miss a lot. This is the problem. We have chances but we are missing a lot."

AM I missing something in the games I see? Create a lot??
    Maybe you're blinking at all the wrong moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    xG has it at 0.13 to score from there, so maybe it was a more difficult chance than we think. Ramsey's header back across goal has bounced before Etete makes contact, so it's already rising. Any contact much below centre will send the ball over the bar. If he manages to make contact before it bounces it would surely fly in.
    A Championship striker should not be ballooning that over the bar

He should be anticipating that header back from Ramsey and setting himself, instead his body position is all wrong and he ends up off balance, falling backwards and flinging his foot at it. It's poor.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    A Championship striker should not be ballooning that over the bar

He should be anticipating that header back from Ramsey and setting himself, instead his body position is all wrong and he ends up off balance, falling backwards and flinging his foot at it. It's poor.
    Perhaps we're looking at different things. When the cross comes in, Etete starts moving towards the back post, realises he can't get to it and, before Ramsey heads it back across, is already moving into space between two defenders, not after Ramsey has headed it. He's maybe (probably) even had a call from Rambo. The ball bounces before he is able to make contact with it and he gets underneath it to send it over the bar.

After Ramsey has headed it, Etete has had barely more than half a second to make contact of a ball that he doesn't know exactly where it will land or where it is aimed. I'd argue that he should have gone with his left foot to give him an extra few milliseconds, which might have made the difference. I agree his angle is wrong, but I think that's because he went for it right footed, which is his natural foot. It was a very sharp chance, one that relied on pure instinct. xG suggests a 1 in 7 chance and I agree.

I reckon someone like Chopra would have more than likely scored it, but comparing Etete with Chopra is a bit unfair.

One of my comeback lines to those who blame our strikers for the team’s problems is to ask them to list the number of good chances they have missed. For me, the bigger problem is that we do not create the chances for the strikers to miss. However, I thought that was a bad miss by Etete on Tuesday and it was definitely one to go on that list I talked about.

In saying that, Diedhiou, a striker with a good scoring record at this level at Bristol City, has come in and played over ninety minutes for us and, from memory, has had just one wild shot from a long way out which flew miles wide. I would not be surprised if it was borne out of frustration because I think he may be still waiting for his first touch in the opposition penalty area, let alone something that remotely resembled a goal scoring chance.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One of my comeback lines to those who blame our strikers for the team’s problems is to ask them to list the number of good chances they have missed. For me, the bigger problem is that we do not create the chances for the strikers to miss. However, I thought that was a bad miss by Etete on Tuesday and it was definitely one to go on that list I talked about.

In saying that, Diedhiou, a striker with a good scoring record at this level at Bristol City, has come in and played over ninety minutes for us and, from memory, has had just one wild shot from a long way out which flew miles wide. I would not be surprised if it was borne out of frustration because I think he may be still waiting for his first touch in the opposition penalty area, let alone something that remotely resembled a goal scoring chance.
    again spot on

You're probably more likely to snatch at a good chance if they're so few and far between.

When was the last time an opposition goalkeeper was forced to nake a good save from a City player? I can't remember one. In fact if I was managing a side playing Cardiff City I'd consider dispensing with a keeper altogether as the role is largely redundant.

OK, so if and when we get battered at Norwich will someone up high give Bulut the welly? Players and fans have lost confidence yet this nonsense continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    OK, so if and when we get battered at Norwich will someone up high give Bulut the welly? Players and fans have lost confidence yet this nonsense continues.
    "If"? That's a bit optimistic, I 'd just go with "when".

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    "If"? That's a bit optimistic, I 'd just go with "when".
    It will be typical of Cardiff City to snatch a very unlikely draw and thus prolong the agony of Bulut. Bulut will come out with some Bulutsh*t saying "how well the new players have bonded" "how well the team trained during the week" etc etc etc. only for us to be played off the park in our next three games and suffer three embarrassing defeats V Blackburn & Stoke at home and the Wurzels away.

bulshit out....

Bob, i don't think that anyone can argue with you over chances created, you're spot on with that. But one of my Comeback lines to those who just use the subject of chances created in order to defend our forward players, is that being a striker isn't just about goals, and i think that it is fair to say that the majority of people on here who have singled out Etete have not used one single issue like you have for the best part. They have (and correct me if i'm wrong) criticised his all round game, his hold up play, his movement, his ability to bring others in to play, his short play. Admittedly plenty of it has been crude and borderline insulting, which is wrong.

Players can show ability when things aren't going their way. They can show intelligence and they can show us that they possess the basic traits needed at this level. There's nothing to stop Etete taking a good touch, showing good movement etc. Unless that's the fault of the manager and the players around him as well.