+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skirting Boards

Skirting Boards

I have new skirting boards in a couple of rooms and want to gloss them in white. Can I slap the gloss on the bare wood or do I need some sort of undercoat?

Re: Skirting Boards

Undercoat definitely

Undercoat is tacky and difficult to use and not really needed indoors. I use white emulsion as an undercoat, dries within a couple our hours and so much easier to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    I have new skirting boards in a couple of rooms and want to gloss them in white. Can I slap the gloss on the bare wood or do I need some sort of undercoat?
    Apply knotting solution to any visible knots

Apply primer

Apply undercoat

Apply top coat

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Undercoat is tacky and difficult to use and not really needed indoors. I use white emulsion as an undercoat, dries within a couple our hours and so much easier to apply.
    Christ no

Get Bulls Eye 123. Primer and undercoat in one. Water based, dries in about 30 minutes. Brilliant stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Get Bulls Eye 123. Primer and undercoat in one. Water based, dries in about 30 minutes. Brilliant stuff.
    Good call

But you will still need to ensure the knots are blocked before putting bulls eye on bare wood

And 2 coats of bulls eye are best for bare wood or the top coat will be trying to do the job of an undercoat

Just use decent satinwood it’s self undercoating

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Good call

But you will still need to ensure the knots are blocked before putting bulls eye on bare wood

And 2 coats of bulls eye are best for bare wood or the top coat will be trying to do the job of an undercoat
    Yes, sorry, should have said that, which is what I always do actually! Funnily enough I don't have any trouble with knots when using Bulls Eye - maybe I've always been lucky with the quality of the wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Yes, sorry, should have said that, which is what I always do actually! Funnily enough I don't have any trouble with knots when using Bulls Eye - maybe I've always been lucky with the quality of the wood?
    If you use the red bulls eye , the oil based one , it includes a sealer to seal the knot resin in

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Just use decent satinwood it’s self undercoating
    Well as a decorator I would never suggest that

Satinwood is a very THICK paint and is OK, at a push , to use on wood surfaces that have previously been painted

But that sort of approach doesn't last long to a good eye so it's recommended that all surfaces , including wood are primed , undercoated then top coated , even with satinwood .....which is basically a posh name for a semi gloss finish

Dodgy decorators will often tell a customer they are going to prime , undercoat and top coat ......gloss or satinwood........but then just slap on a single coat ......it looks OK for a while but doesn't last

If you use the red bulls eye , the oil based one , it includes a sealer to seal the knot resin in
    My son has used Zinsser's BIN on knots (is that what you mean by the red one?) and he found it to be really good. It is spirit based and so dries quickly.

It's shellac based , with meths as the carrier so it evaporates

It's great stuff although I prefer to knot the wood first and use blue water based bin in a couple of coats

It's shellac based , with meths as the carrier so it evaporates

It's great stuff although I prefer to knot the wood first and use blue water based bin in a couple of coats
    You seem quite knowledgeable about decorating (btw: I found myself nodding my head in agreement).

I know (as a keen DIY person) the process of painting bare wood. However, I have often seen you post useful decorating tips and also give detailed product information.
    So my question is.. are you a keen DIY person or are you actually qualified in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    You seem quite knowledgeable about decorating (btw: I found myself nodding my head in agreement).

I know (as a keen DIY person) the process of painting bare wood. However, I have often seen you post useful decorating tips and also give detailed product information.
    So my question is.. are you a keen DIY person or are you actually qualified in the field.
    I have an advanced craft city and guilds in painting and decorating

There are lots of people who think they can paint and anyone can do it but the industry is full of cowboys and chancers

That being said some of the people I did my qualifications with are in business but I don't know how they get any work as they are absolutely hopeless and despite being taught how to do everything right cut corners , use poor materials and are crap

i find walking on the ceiling is one way of getting round them

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    i find walking on the ceiling is one way of getting round them
    But then you have to deal with the coving ?

Well as a decorator I would never suggest that

Satinwood is a very THICK paint and is OK, at a push , to use on wood surfaces that have previously been painted

But that sort of approach doesn't last long to a good eye so it's recommended that all surfaces , including wood are primed , undercoated then top coated , even with satinwood .....which is basically a posh name for a semi gloss finish

Dodgy decorators will often tell a customer they are going to prime , undercoat and top coat ......gloss or satinwood........but then just slap on a single coat ......it looks OK for a while but doesn't last
    Been using Crown trade quick dry fast flow for years like most decent decorators, on bare wood I’d use an undercoat and two top coats….stays fine for years….

Been using Crown trade quick dry fast flow for years like most decent decorators, on bare wood I’d use an undercoat and two top coats….stays fine for years….
    I don't know any decent decorators that would put a satinwood paint on bare wood which is what you have suggested he does

So even if you were going to use a water based undercoat .......which are second rate compared to oil based undercoats.......you would only use one undercoat ........and no primer and knotting solution ?

That's not a professional paint system and it's not going to stand up to quality inspection as satinwood is a top coat and not designed to be used to build up the layers of paint ......that's what a primer , undercoat system is for and why suggesting going without an undercoat or using a self undercoating paint is incorrect

But then you have to deal with the coving ?
    one problem at a time, mastering walking on ceilings is tricky enough

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    one problem at a time, mastering walking on ceilings is tricky enough
    Have you seen the deleted scene from the exorcist ?

That's flexibility for you

This is my favourite thread of the week. Top tips.

So even if you were going to use a water based undercoat .......which are second rate compared to oil based undercoats.......you would only use one undercoat ........and no primer and knotting solution ?

That's not a professional paint system and it's not going to stand up to quality inspection as satinwood is a top coat and not designed to be used to build up the layers of paint ......that's what a primer , undercoat system is for and why suggesting going without an undercoat or using a self undercoating paint is incorrect
    Well it does, and it has. Maybe, as you know so much, you should get back out there ? You know instead of preaching it

Well it does, and it has. Maybe, as you know so much, you should get back out there ? You know instead of preaching it
    Well you are offering advice here which is incorrect

You say it works but it goes against what you are taught by the professionals so either they are wrong or you are wrong