+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which game still hurts the most

Re: Which game still hurts the most

Only ever one answer here and that’s Blackpool. Tan was just starting to get involved in the club. With the team we had then and additional investment from him we may well have survived in the Premier league and would have been fun seeing what Chopra, McCormack and Bothroyd could do together in the premier league but the biggest thing is if we’d won that game he probably wouldn’t have considered switching to lucky red and ripping the heart of the club and its fan base

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Play off V Blackpool
    Play off V Reading
    FA Cup final
    Carling cup final
    Other

For me it’s the reading game. I wanted the Swansea play off final so bad
    Blackpool by a mile….the rent-a-crowd they had that day making losing even worse

Blackpool, felt like I'd be gut punched for days after that.
    Liverpool
    Pompey
    Reading

[QUOTE=Eric the Half a Bee;5489876]Blackpool. From that moment I knew that Dave Jones would never get us promoted. Playing Kelvin Etuhu as a target man to replace Bothroyd was utter madness, as bad as not starting Ramsey in the FA cup final.

Blackpool for me as well. I spoke to a couple of Blackpool fans in the pub pre match and said that we'd we'd comfortably win 4-2. Once Bothroyd went off and was being replaced by Etuhu, I turned to my daughter and said to her ' we've lost this'. I just had that sinking feeling.

Blackpool, by a mile. ****ed up a fair portion of the summer.

Was due to stay in London for the night but just come home straight after the Blackpool game. Asked one of the boys to bring my bag home, couldnt even be arsed to go back to the hotel I was so deflated.

I always laugh at supporters who cry over a football match, or sit in their seat for ages after the game sulking, but I came close that day.

Easily Blackpool for me

Liverpool was tough because of the Ben Turner elation, only to lose a shootout a few mins later

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He got Wolves promoted to the PL in one of his two full seasons in charge. Hardly "did the same with Wolves".
    In his first season, Wolves were top of the table, 10 points clear of 3rd with 9 games to go. They lost in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Easily Blackpool for me

Liverpool was tough because of the Ben Turner elation, only to lose a shootout a few mins later
    I never got upset over the Liverpool defeat. Once we'd equalised, I was just proud of the team and didn't really worry about winning or losing.

Now had Kenny Miller put that late chance away....

Rebrand as far as I am concerned would never have happened had we beat Blackpool. That was the time the Tan was introduced - we really should have been in the PL as were, without his cash that came with his lucky red. As someone else mentioned too and I think we would have had a sustained period there.

Has to be the Cup finals for me over promotions - we’ll never win the premiership.
    Trophy’s are for life for any fan - even if it was 100 years ago.

We should have won them both on the day too and I will never forgot how proud I was of our club.

Blackpool

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In his first season, Wolves were top of the table, 10 points clear of 3rd with 9 games to go. They lost in the playoffs.
    He then got them promoted the second season so he didn’t always do the same at Wolves. He got them promoted at second time of asking.

We know you don’t like Jones but implying Malky was a better manager is just laughable. He won the LMA manager of the year in 1998 and kept Southampton up comfortably in the PL a couple of times. Something Warnock hasn’t managed in all his years in the game.

He then got them promoted the second season so he didn’t always do the same at Wolves. He got them promoted at second time of asking.

We know you don’t like Jones but implying Malky was a better manager is just laughable. He won the LMA manager of the year in 1998 and kept Southampton up comfortably in the PL a couple of times. Something Warnock hasn’t managed in all his years in the game.
    Dave Jones did pretty well wherever he went. Didn't he get Stockport up to the championship, or Division 1 as it was known?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Blackpool
    Liverpool
    Portsmouth
    Reading
    Exactly this.

Couldn't give a shit what he did at Southampton, same as I couldn't care less what Malky or Warnock has done elsewhere. It's my opinion that Malky won promotion with a poorer squad than Jones had in his last few seasons as our manager, so I rate him as a better manager of us than Jones. I also reckon that our promotion under Warnock was one of the best managerial successes at our club in many a year. Jones's CV with us will always be blighted by failure to win promotion.

FA Cup and stupid management decesions

Couldn't give a shit what he did at Southampton, same as I couldn't care less what Malky or Warnock has done elsewhere. It's my opinion that Malky won promotion with a poorer squad than Jones had in his last few seasons as our manager, so I rate him as a better manager of us than Jones. I also reckon that our promotion under Warnock was one of the best managerial successes at our club in many a year. Jones's CV with us will always be blighted by failure to win promotion.
    So you couldn’t give a shit what Jones did elsewhere, but you were the one who brought what he did at another club - Wolves -into the equation. Tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Dave Jones did pretty well wherever he went. Didn't he get Stockport up to the championship, or Division 1 as it was known?
    He was a good manager and helped elevate this club to a club with premier league ambitions.

He was a good manager and helped elevate this club to a club with premier league ambitions.
    He had a big war chest in wages paid to quality players to do that though

It was well known in football that we were shelling out money beyond our means to get promoted

It certainly wasn't just his managerial qualities that kept us in the mix

You sound like you’d be happy if we played in red with Mick McCarthy managing us as long as we got promoted.

I can’t remember all of the starting XI from Malky’s or Warnock’s team but I can comfortably rattle off Dave Jones’s entire 1st choice team including bench players

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He had a big war chest in wages paid to quality players to do that though

It was well known in football that we were shelling out money beyond our means to get promoted

It certainly wasn't just his managerial qualities that kept us in the mix
    We might have been spending beyond our means but that was Ridsdales department.

Jones signed some superb players for peanuts.it wasn’t all about the big names.

We might have been spending beyond our means but that was Ridsdales department.

Jones signed some superb players for peanuts.it wasn’t all about the big names.
    I am not disagreeing but we were not paying out transfer fees it was big wages

He also signed some duds though .....Kevin Campbell was handsomely paid but was totally finished

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am not disagreeing but we were not paying out transfer fees it was big wages

He also signed some duds though .....Kevin Campbell was handsomely paid but was totally finished
    We werent paying out big wages to the likes of Whitts, Chlopra and the Scottish lads when he first signed them. Not every signing was a Campbell, JFH or Fowler.

We werent paying out big wages to the likes of Whitts, Chlopra and the Scottish lads when he first signed them. Not every signing was a Campbell, JFH or Fowler.
    Or Sinclair !

I don't remember him doing anything

Did he score any goals ?