+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which game still hurts the most

Re: Which game still hurts the most

I won’t think anyone is suggesting every game was like watching Brazil under Jones. We know his teams had its flaws but give me watching a Jones team that took the game to the opposition, especially at home, but sometimes got unstuck when least expecting it and went on bad runs, over a team that worries more about opposition and plays for a 0-0 and nick a set piece any day.

I used to look forward to travelling down to Cardiff to watch us under Jones. Not any longer it’s become a chore and to the point I’d rather watch Merthyr theee days. At least they play attacking football.

I know lads who’ve still got season tickets who, on a few occasions this season, last week being one of them, met in the pub before catching the train down to Cardiff and couldn’t be arsed so stayed in the pub in Merthyr. They knew they weren’t going to miss much. The apathy has well and truly set in and these are lads who have been season ticket holders for decades.

Blackpool for two reasons.

1. I think that team had the ability to survive in the premier league.
    2. It took an age to get far enough away from the Stadium that you couldn't hear the celebrations.

At least with the Stoke game I was quickly in my car and driving away from the stadium as I was in the Grandstand for that game.

Blackpool.

Although seeing some gobby Blackpool fan get put on his arse trying to give it the big one walking through crowds of drunk and upset city fans lightened the mood, for about 12 second before I was back in depression mode again.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He had a big war chest in wages paid to quality players to do that though

It was well known in football that we were shelling out money beyond our means to get promoted

It certainly wasn't just his managerial qualities that kept us in the mix
    We did but even accounting for inflation we seem to be shelling out much more now for much worse if the clubs debt is anything to go by.

Jones had his flaws with, admittedly rare, team selections that baffled fans as the side when everyone was fully fit often picked itself and he was understandably curt with the media but he allowed flare players to flourish and when we were good we were very good to watch.

We may have had problems especially in November under Jones but I used to enjoy going to games. I don't anymore. Watching the current team for the last few years has become a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Apart from his last season did Dave Jones have plenty of wonga behind him?

I seem to recall him having to wheel and deal a lot and we never had the biggest of squads apart from his last season.

Finding players like Johnson, Loovens,Chopra and selling them on for big profit to keep the club afloat. Or getting players like Whitts, Bothroyd, McCormack, Burke for chump change and turning them into some of the best players in the championship.

Malky was given a much bigger war chest to get us promoted in 2013 and I’m sure if Jones had been given 20m to spend like Warnock had in 2019 we wouldn’t have seen it blown on the likes of Bacuna, Flint and Marlon ****ing Pack.
    Warnock also benefitted from having a very solid spine at Cardiff. He also spent a fair bit in the season we did go up. Morrison, Bennett, Manga, Peltier, Zohore, Ralls, Gunnarsson and Pilkington were already at the club and were key players for Warnock. He also spent about £12m that season which many seem to forget (mainly on duds)

Jones had to re-invent the squad semi-regularly to keep us in with shout, if he had the money Warnock had access to in 2017/18 he'd have taken us up

its always the next game for me. This season is painful