+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which game still hurts the most

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Which game still hurts the most

My late mother’s late uncle (whom I met several times in my youth) was devastated to watch us lose to Sheffield United in the 1925 FA Cup Final. In his old age, knowing I follow the City, he told me this repeatedly.

Very sadly, he couldn’t afford to go to London for the 1927 victory versus Arsenal!! Something he forever regretted.

I know Ridsdale had contacts In the game but transfers were much more of a managerial decision in the era Jones managed in. I doubt we had a recruitment department in those days.

I’d argue the big wage signings of Fowler and JFH etc were much more likely to be Ridsdales signings than Jones and I’d certainly credit Jones with getting the best out of waifs and strays, none more so than Jay Bothroyd.

As for fans singing the managers name i don’t think Jones would lose any sleep over not being as popular as Malky or Warnock. In fact im not sure cheering more for effort and steel over attacking style is something to be beat a manger with not unless your sludge and stick in the lower divisions of the 80s

Jones didn’t need to fist pump after games or kiss the badge to hoodwink the fans.that he was one of them. He didn’t go on MOTD putting himself out there for the Everton job. I don’t recall him taking all the credit when things were going well either. He didn’t need to feed his own ego.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I know Ridsdale had contacts In the game but transfers were much more of a managerial decision in the era Jones managed in. I doubt we had a recruitment department in those days.

I’d argue the big wage signings of Fowler and JFH etc were much more likely to be Ridsdales signings than Jones and I’d certainly credit Jones with getting the best out of waifs and strays, none more so than Jay Bothroyd.

As for fans singing the managers name i don’t think Jones would lose any sleep over not being as popular as Malky or Warnock. In fact im not sure cheering more for effort and steel over attacking style is something to be beat a manger with not unless your sludge and stick in the lower divisions of the 80s

Jones didn’t need to fist pump after games or kiss the badge to hoodwink the fans.that he was one of them. He didn’t go on MOTD putting himself out there for the Everton job. I don’t recall him taking all the credit when things were going well either. He didn’t need to feed his own ego.
    You make a good point about getting the best out of waifs and strays, as you put it. Have a listen to a TWS podcast with Dave Jones. He talks about his time at Cardiff and it's probably the most in depth I've ever heard him talk about Cardiff. If I remember correctly, he didn't call them waifs and strays, but gamblers and addicts as that's all he could get to come to the club!!

He gave those players a lot of freedom to do what they wanted. Generally it worked but that freedom came at a cost. Reports of players drinking before that Boro game when we had automatic promotion in our grasp. But, in general, he appeared to be a good man manager and got the best out of some players who had maybe underperformed elsewhere.

His biggest fault was his tactical inflexibility. Players said he never really changed things depending on how the opposition would play. His thought was that the opposition should be more worried about us. I remember Craig Bellamy's first City game - home to Doncaster. It was garbage for half an hour and we struggled. Chopra went off injured, we didn't have another forward on the bench so Chris Burke came on and we went to a 4-5-1, matching them in midfield. We won 4-0. There were often calls for us to match up in the centre of midfield as we would often be overrun there. He did so and we played well. A couple of games later we went back to 4-4-2 and lost a few.

History seems to have painted Jones as a manager where every game was free flowing football. Sometimes we played some really good stuff, the likes of which we haven't seen since. It's also true that we were really shite at times under him as well. Some of my favourite City memories happened during his tenure. Some of my worst City memories did as well.

I won’t think anyone is suggesting every game was like watching Brazil under Jones. We know his teams had its flaws but give me watching a Jones team that took the game to the opposition, especially at home, but sometimes got unstuck when least expecting it and went on bad runs, over a team that worries more about opposition and plays for a 0-0 and nick a set piece any day.

I used to look forward to travelling down to Cardiff to watch us under Jones. Not any longer it’s become a chore and to the point I’d rather watch Merthyr theee days. At least they play attacking football.

I know lads who’ve still got season tickets who, on a few occasions this season, last week being one of them, met in the pub before catching the train down to Cardiff and couldn’t be arsed so stayed in the pub in Merthyr. They knew they weren’t going to miss much. The apathy has well and truly set in and these are lads who have been season ticket holders for decades.

Blackpool for two reasons.

1. I think that team had the ability to survive in the premier league.
    2. It took an age to get far enough away from the Stadium that you couldn't hear the celebrations.

At least with the Stoke game I was quickly in my car and driving away from the stadium as I was in the Grandstand for that game.

its always the next game for me. This season is painful